HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Sather or Torts gett fired when we don't make the playoffs

Old
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
keLtic9

vCash: 500
We need to rebuild!

keLtic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Imagine replacing Wade Redden with a real #1 defenseman or someone like Heatley. Wouldn't this team be whole lot better? I think it would. That's the power of dropping Redden.

Imagine losing Drury, Redden, and Rozsival and replacing them with players who are worth their contracts?

That's $18.55M that could be spent on star players. Imagine that. We all should rejoice that in 2 more seasons we can lop $12M off the books. However, Redden will continue to be a problem going into the future unless something is done.
Imagine replacing any 10 Rangers with Heatley. Wouldn't this team be a whole lot better?

Imagine if they could get Crosby for Gilroy. Wouldn't that be great, too?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Imagine replacing any 10 Rangers with Heatley. Wouldn't this team be a whole lot better?

Imagine if they could get Crosby for Gilroy. Wouldn't that be great, too?
yes, it'd be fantastic. The fact is when you have three 2-3M players tied up in $18M of salary, it makes a big difference.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:36 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
yes, it'd be fantastic. The fact is when you have three 2-3M players tied up in $18M of salary, it makes a big difference.
And who gave them the contracts? Was it Redden?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
And who gave them the contracts? Was it Redden?
It was Glen Savior, the king of the NY Rangers.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Axxion89

And also yea thats 12 million we can use to sign a Crosby or Ovechkin but wait....they were DRAFTED!!! They play so well for their money because they are YOUNG and have proven themselves as UP AND COMING STARS. This is not baseball, you cannot buy a championship in the free agency. The best teams find gems in teh draft and sign role players in free agency. It doesn't matter ho much cap space we have because good teams will retain their good players and the players that DO reach free agency will either have padded stats from playing on bad teams or will be role players who are too old to contibute or just dont have an impact. Oh and lets not mention that all these players are treated as if they are on ebay with the highest bidder "winning" these players.

Fact is, look at our best player in Lundqvist, he was DRAFTED!!! This team needs to invest all of its money and resources in scouting so we can great rookies who will evolve into great players. Ask Detroit how its worked for em.

In short, yea 12-18 million of cap space would be fantastic but for what, to sign Marleau and Kovy to inflated deals to dissapoint us? And I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we sign Kovy, he's going to FLOP!!!!

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Was listening to the Buffalo GM on XM this morning...and he basically said the NHL is made up of mostly 1st round draft picks. Not that they need to be Crosby or Ovi...but you just need to get solid players with your first rounders.

I know this is an obvious though...just thought a view from a GM of a well built team might be of note in this conversation.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
dedalus

Meh. I think they will make the playoffs to die in the first round.

Playoffs or not, though, I think neither Sather nor Tortorella gets fired. If they actually miss, it won't be by much, so much will be made of how "very close we came."

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The biggest problem is the man who gave him a contract. The same guy who has screwed up his entire career as a GM. The guy who lived off of inheriting Messier and Gretzky.

Redden is merely this year's scapegoat. Malik, Rozy. Do ya get it, yet? The scapegoats are usually dmen that don't hit hard and fight. Occasionally a non-fighting forward also gets the thumbs-down.

Fans who fail to see the big picture year after year after year after year after year, will always need individual scapegoats because their ability to critically analyze has been surgically removed. Either that, or it never existed.

It's nauseating to see people write that Sather's hands are tired. Guess who tied them.

I shot my parents, dead. Now I'm an orphan. Poor me.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Captain Monglobster

I like how a ***** team in danger of missing the playoffs has calls for it's first year coaches head. ****ing retarded.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
chip chipperson*

the only way torts goes is if sather goes too. sather cant get away with another coach firing, especially one who won a cup not too long ago.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:16 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
the only way torts goes is if sather goes too. sather cant get away with another coach firing, especially one who won a cup not too long ago.
You would think.

03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
I don't know about that. I wouldn't want to see the contracts Sather would throw around if he knew he had an easy out.
Actually we did see those contracts. Remember Holik, McLean, Fleury, etc etc?

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:51 PM
NYRamonte10

I know it's not healthy, but I wish Tom Renney were behind the bench for this final stretch... We'd win 12 of our last 15 all by a score of 1-0 or 2-1 and grab the 7th seed and we'd all be ready for another year of exciting playoffs...

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:53 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He is the biggest problem.
Getting rid of him removes a major chunk of dead weight from our miserable defense while opening up 6.5M to attempt to add someone who will contribute significantly more to that area. I would go so far as to say that removing Redden from the roster gets rid of a player who, at this point, losing is no blow to our success at all, while giving us enough cap space to add TWO pieces that, if picked carefully, will each contribute more to the team than Redden.

To me, that makes him much closer to being a "one-stop" solution to this teams problems than moving any other player or getting rid of Sather/Torts and keeping the same group of players would be. This team easily could be two contributing players away from putting together a much better season than we witnessed. Two contributing players away from competing for the Cup? No... but if we were sitting in 5th or 6th right now, nobody would be complaining and we'd all have a lot more patience with regards to the development of AA, MDZ and Gilroy. I'd wager that if we were sitting in 6th with two rookie defensemen on the team, people would be feeling pretty optimistic about the future.

Edit: This is not to say that I don't realize that the architect is still to blame here. Obviously, the one who built this group is the reason that we have Redden (and other non-factors) instead of the hypothetical "contributing players" in their places. I simply meant to say that removing Redden IS the biggest single step we can take towards actually improving the roster, immediately. We all know the likelihood of Sather being canned this summer is slim, but removing Redden's salary actually gives us an opportunity to legitimately improve.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Torts can only do so much. He was asked to make a chicken dinner out of chicken ****. Sather is the one responsible. He needs to go.
There are coaches and coaches. If Torts was a capable coach, he would have made something out of this team. He failed and it shows greatly in every corner of Rangers play. GM needs to bring a new one, someone who actually knows how to talk to his players and can really bring a system to the team.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Sather is going to step down but remain president, and Messier will take over as GM.
Absolutely agree that this is what is going to happen. Am sure Dolan has already signed off.

As for Torts', different view -- I think Messier will use the opportunity to "hire his own man" and get rid of Tortarella. A move that I would endorse right now. Wrong coach, wrong place.

Last edited by bobbop: 03-11-2010 at 02:31 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
ThirdEye

I don't think either of them will be back for next season.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I can see that. But I do not believe it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post
I know it's not healthy, but I wish Tom Renney were behind the bench for this final stretch... We'd win 12 of our last 15 all by a score of 1-0 or 2-1 and grab the 7th seed and we'd all be ready for another year of exciting playoffs...
Where we'd lose to Pittsburgh in 6 (at best.) Been there, done that. No thanks.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'll bet you $2 Torts is back. And Sather isn't going anywhere unless he decides to retire.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He is the biggest problem.
You mean besides that fact that we have 1, maybe 2 LEGIT 1st line player son this team? And then a hodgepodge of borderline 2nd line/career 3rd liners bringing up the rear?

Here's wha thappens, quote me on this: Sather steps down from GM, stays president and Messier takes over the GM. Lowbrow casual fans will love it cause ZOMG TEH MESSERERER IS TEH GEEEMMMM. Horrible trades and contracts later, we'll be in a situation that will make the Knicks of 3 years ago look like the 90s era Bulls team.

The future is bleak guys, but hey, WE'RE STILL IN IT! LETS KEEP BUYING SEASON TICKETS!

(note: since some people here will probably decided to take me super serious and either take the bait or start namecalling, please understand that I'm joking here. Partially. I do think the part about Sather staying president and Messier becoming GM can and probably will happen)

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:54 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I can't even begin to imagine what threshold the Rangers would have to fall below before Dolan even considers firing Sather. It's sad that the person with the biggest influence on this team is doing a mediocre job that's still being tolerated (wrongly).

And I don't think Tortorella gets fired if the Rangers miss the playoffs.

One day I'm going to look on tsn.ca and the top headline will be "Big Apple Shakeup" and I'll read about Sather getting dumped and someone like Jim Nill taking over.

Then I'll wake up and realize it was all a dream.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Redden's contract was going to be a problem even if he was a journeyman player, but I'm appalled at how far his game has fallen. He's either a fifth or sixth on this team and he is barely a passable NHL player. There's no way Sather, Burke or anyone else who knows hockey could have predicted he would be this bad.

I think Sather gets credit for trying to improve the team and he has worked hard to repair mistakes he has made. Of course, at the end of the day, the end product is not good enough and not getting better.

Redden will be buried (probably in Europe) next year. That will free up some dollars and more importantly a place for another contributing player on defense.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Where we'd lose to Pittsburgh in 6 (at best.) Been there, done that. No thanks.
huh? you wouldn't want that? if you're going to fail, might as well fail hard?

for the record, I don't think we'd see significantly better results if Renney were brought in for the final 15.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote