HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Williams Activated - Will Play Fri / Bernier Will Start / Quick on Paternity Leave

Old
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Harrold or DD, easily.

You all underestimate the importance of having been practicing with the team for the entire season versus getting thrown into the frying pan with little to no warning, even if that call-up is the better talent or the long term solution.
Perhaps, but I think the unwaivering rule should be whatever gives us the best possible chance. We are talking about the most important position on the team that ultimately decides the game, not the 7th defenseman.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Perhaps, but I think the unwaivering rule should be whatever gives us the best possible chance. We are talking about the most important position on the team that ultimately decides the game, not the 7th defenseman.
Yes, I agree, and I think at this point with all the pressure Ersberg is the best chance to win. Bernier is a "let's hope his AHL play continues here late in the season with the big club", while Ersberg is "OK, he is a maniac in practice and has already beaten the damn Sharks this year."

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Harrold or DD, easily.

You all underestimate the importance of having been practicing with the team for the entire season versus getting thrown into the frying pan with little to no warning, even if that call-up is the better talent or the long term solution.
Let's say we're in the playoffs and Quick goes down. Who starts the next game? Eberg or Bernier?

My point is Eberg will be nothing more than a back up for us and therefore, it would be a good experience for Bernier to get a taste of the nhl.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Let's say we're in the playoffs and Quick goes down. Who starts the next game? Eberg or Bernier?

My point is Eberg will be nothing more than a back up for us and therefore, it would be a good experience for Bernier to get a taste of the nhl.
And my point is that if Bernier was supposed to be playing games for the Kings at this point in his career, he would be on the roster as more than an emergency call-up. Ersberg gets first crack every time until his play says otherwise.

I can't believe how little faith you all have in Ersberg. How quickly we forget.

I don't care about 'tastes', that's what training camp, exhibition games, the start of the season and unimportant games at the end of the season for bottom feeding teams are for, not ****ing playoffs games.

Stop trying to add some logic to what is truly an emotional response at wanting Bernier to be now what he is projected to be in the future. The point of Kings' games are not to satisfy fans' curiosity about prospects.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I have faith in Ersberg, I have been arguing it vigorously against people who were saying that a veteran backup was a requirement at the trade deadline. I think Ersberg is a proven, solid backup goaltender. I have no butterflies in my stomach when Ersberg is out there starting against the Stars.

However, I have to revert to the best chance to win. It is proven experience versus unproven talent. I honestly believe Bernier is a better option in net than Ersberg, that he gives us the best chance to win. He is more technically sound and better positionally.

I have no doubt Ersberg is going to do a good job for us, I just believe that Bernier will do a better job. I think seniority should not preside over point potential. We aren't locked in the playoffs, we can still theoretically miss the playoffs, every point is critical, I just want the best possible chance.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Fangio

I'm on the Bernier wagon. Let him play, he's better than Ersberg anyway, and might even be better than Jonathan Quick.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I have faith in Ersberg, I have been arguing it vigorously against people who were saying that a veteran backup was a requirement at the trade deadline. I think Ersberg is a proven, solid backup goaltender. I have no butterflies in my stomach when Ersberg is out there starting against the Stars.

However, I have to revert to the best chance to win. It is proven experience versus unproven talent. I honestly believe Bernier is a better option in net than Ersberg, that he gives us the best chance to win. He is more technically sound and better positionally.

I have no doubt Ersberg is going to do a good job for us, I just believe that Bernier will do a better job. I think seniority should not preside over point potential. We aren't locked in the playoffs, we can still theoretically miss the playoffs, every point is critical, I just want the best possible chance.
Fair enough.

We just disagree that as of this moment, we can legitimately say Bernier gives us the best chance to win. I think we would to see them both in practice tomorrow morning before making that decision. If Bernier beats the hell out of Iceberg in practice tomorrow, then sure, but until then, based purely on what we know at the moment, throwing the rookie out there, even if he is better positionally, is not the best chance to win.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:44 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
For those who say Eberg should start, answer me this.

If we were short on defense and we called up Voinov, should we play Voinov or start either Harrold or 44DD?
44DD. Easy.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:45 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
And my point is that if Bernier was supposed to be playing games for the Kings at this point in his career, he would be on the roster as more than an emergency call-up. Ersberg gets first crack every time until his play says otherwise.

I can't believe how little faith you all have in Ersberg. How quickly we forget.

I don't care about 'tastes', that's what training camp, exhibition games, the start of the season and unimportant games at the end of the season for bottom feeding teams are for, not ****ing playoffs games.

Stop trying to add some logic to what is truly an emotional response at wanting Bernier to be now what he is projected to be in the future. The point of Kings' games are not to satisfy fans' curiosity about prospects.
Boom. Well stated.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Defgarden

I think Ersberg should get the start. He's been sitting way too long. It's not so much a fairness issue, but rather an issue of getting him prepped and ready in case something happens. He needs to see some game time if we're going to rely on him in any fashion.

That's what having a backup is. If you haven't checked your backup for quite some time, how do you know how well it's going to run when you need it? If Quick gets an injury, well then you go with whoever is playing better or who you think has the better chance of winning from that point on, but if one never plays, how would you know?

By the way, best wishes to the Quick family. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
dabeechman

"In goal, Murray wasn’t ready to make an official announcement but indicated that he was seriously considering giving the start to Jonathan Bernier. I’d say it’s more likely than not. No info yet on Jonathan Quick’s baby. More from practice soon…"

-Rich

Also said that Williams is playing

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Williams Activated! / Bernier may start

http://www.lakingsnetwork.com/hammond/?p=4565

"After practice today, Terry Murray said Justin Williams will play tomorrow and reclaim his spot on the first line with Anze Kopitar and Ryan Smyth. It’s also looking like Frolov-Stoll-Brown and Modin-Handzus-Simmonds, with the fourth line TBD.

In goal, Murray wasn’t ready to make an official announcement but indicated that he was seriously considering giving the start to Jonathan Bernier. I’d say it’s more likely than not. No info yet on Jonathan Quick’s baby. More from practice soon…"

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I would love to see Bernier get the start tomorrow. It would be awesome to see him and Williams live against Dallas.

Quick may not get his job back.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
Awww. Congrats Quick! Hope the little one is healthy
hey your avy is back!

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
dabeechman

Interesting to think what may have happened if Bernier got the call up and ran with it instead of Quick. Obviously JQ took his chance and ran with it, curious to see if JB can do the same.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Slick Willie Is Back!

Old
03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

No more Brown and Kopitar on the same line. Hallelujah.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
KingsRule

911 back in action!!!

Old
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Now if only we can put Richie with Stoll and Brown again and get Frolov with Modin and Zus where he belongs and Simmonds with Halpern and Clune to give us the absolutely utmost depth on the roster.

And before anyone jumps down my throat saying "See, Bernier may start!", remember that Murray has botched almost every decision of when to play his backup thus far this season.

Old
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
hey your avy is back!
I'm a good girl now

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
KingsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
I'm a good girl now
on the boards you are

Old
03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Very happy to see Williams back. I hope Murray botches this call, would probably be the first time I approve of it. Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait! GO KINGS!

Old
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
At this point I don't have a ton of confidence in Ersberg but that's mainly due to the fact that guy has barely played! Not to mention the guy is not big/tall and gets beat up high against any legit goal scorer. He is a back-up NHL Goalie that can spell Quick but right now I have more confidence in Bernier.

People are asking when Ersberg's chance is going to come..well when is Bernier's time going to come? The guy has played in the AHL for 2 years and is having a MVP type season. Lets roll him out and see what happens.

I know we have clinched anything yet but this team WILL make the playoffs and we will go into it on a roll. This game will not make or break our season and to see ur potential 1A goalie given a chance is worth the risk.

I love Quick but Bernier is still younger and might be better.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:28 PM
grncobra76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
And how!! So tired of watching the Bropitar experience.
Man I really hope Murray starts Ersberg. Nice way to shatter your backup tenders confidence during a playoff race and into the playoffs.

grncobra76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by grncobra76 View Post
And how!! So tired of watching the Bropitar experience.
Man I really hope Murray starts Ersberg. Nice way to shatter your backup tenders confidence during a playoff race and into the playoffs.
If Quick is unable to play in the playoffs, the Kings would use Bernier instead of Ersberg. Ersberg has no long term future with the Kings, he will never be a #1 goalie. Bernier still has that potential.

I only want Bernier to start for selfish reasons, I will be at the game tomorrow.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote