HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will losing in the first round do anything for the Predators?

Old
03-11-2010, 11:20 AM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
I really dont see how we can do more with that budget that you seem to refuse to exist..
I know it's there. I know we are spending over $20 million on legwand, erat, dumont, arnott, and sullivan, and not very wisely. And we just added another questionable 4 million contract in Rinne. Sure, we couldn't go out and get a Gaborik last year, but that's in large part because we had money tied up in the above mentioned players.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:20 AM
nbbyfan20

Sharks fan here. Just read your thread, not trying to create a negative vibe here.

If the preds do lose in the first round? it doesn't really change things, you guys have a amazing Defensive group and foward group. YOu will be in the mix of things for the next 5-10 years no matter what with your defensive core. I hear you have many more defensive prospects, i don't even know how thats possible.

At least you don't lose in the first\ second round of the playoffs every year?! And yes, i don't think the Sharks are going to be a elite team if we lose in the first or second team, since I think we will be trading Joe T and some other core player on our team. I"m a fan of the niners and we haven't made the playoffs in what since 2002.

You guys seem like hardcore fans in the playoffs, it seems pretty loud there and it seems Nashville sells out every home game. You guys will do just fine.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I would prefer that you not speak for me or other preds fans. It bugs me when people speak for entire fan bases.
I'm not speaking for you, nor did I suggest I was. I'm speaking for the many people I know personally who are no longer season ticket holders because they lost interest. And the people I know who are losing interest in going to 41 games a year for a mediocre product. And people I know who used to be season ticket holders, but now go to 2-3 games a year.

What I'm suggesting is another first round exit isn't going to get these people back, or spark significant new fan interest. I'm suggesting that making playoff noise the only way I know we're going to see a significant impact on our fan base, especially in this economy

Old
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Sharks fan here. Just read your thread, not trying to create a negative vibe here.

If the preds do lose in the first round? it doesn't really change things, you guys have a amazing Defensive group and foward group. YOu will be in the mix of things for the next 5-10 years no matter what with your defensive core. I hear you have many more defensive prospects, i don't even know how thats possible.

At least you don't lose in the first\ second round of the playoffs every year?! And yes, i don't think the Sharks are going to be a elite team if we lose in the first or second team, since I think we will be trading Joe T and some other core player on our team. I"m a fan of the niners and we haven't made the playoffs in what since 2002.

You guys seem like hardcore fans in the playoffs, it seems pretty loud there and it seems Nashville sells out every home game. You guys will do just fine.
ah voice of reason how i have missed you

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I'm not speaking for you, nor did I suggest I was. I'm speaking for the many people I know personally who are no longer season ticket holders because they lost interest. And the people I know who are losing interest in going to 41 games a year for a mediocre product. And people I know who used to be season ticket holders, but now go to 2-3 games a year.

What I'm suggesting is another first round exit isn't going to get these people back, or spark significant new fan interest. I'm suggesting that making playoff noise the only way I know we're going to see a significant impact on our fan base, especially in this economy
So how do you ex-plane the fact that attendance is up and we are making money for the first time?

fact is no team does more with less you look at tit there in every sport where small market teams goals are just to make the playoffs nhl is no different and sorry to break the bubble but we are a small market team and thats just the way it is ..

Old
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
So how do you ex-plane the fact that attendance is up and we are making money for the first time?
Well, I believe we lost money last year, right? Even with our welfare check?

Like I said, just making the playoffs has generated some excitement, and the new mgmt group has done a much better job of marketing. What I'm suggesting is... read my previous post. Don't agree? That's fine.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post

Hey dude, thanks for the kind words.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Like I said, just making the playoffs has generated some excitement, and the new mgmt group has done a much better job of marketing. What I'm suggesting is... read my previous post. Don't agree? That's fine.
That "welfare check" as you put it partially offsets the mandated doubling of the team's salary since 03-04. Seven teams then had salaries that would exceed today's cap ... only twelve would have met today's cap floor ... that puts, what, five teams in 03-04 within the current cap range? I don't see baseball's or football's revenue sharing labeled as a "welfare check" .... honestly, you're starting to sound like a troll.

Your earlier that failing to advance past the first round in the next three seasons would have the team in jeopardy of relocating means you believe that the team would lose an aggregate $20million AND have an average paid attendance below 14k. Not either/or ... both.

Time to step away from this thread before I cross a line or two.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Predsrule

Quote:

lol I dont agree with 99% of what you say..
It seems your way is a great way to get this team back in the deep red again , while showing no loyalty to players, fans or the team management.
your logic works for big market teams only, and again i feel like I'm saying this over and over and over but we are a small market team and this is how we have to work. Wither you like it or not ? That's fine.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:

I think everyone is reading your posts with a chip on their shoulder or something...

While I disagree with what you are saying completely, I don't discredit that what you are saying does not have any truth. I understand where you are coming from, but I guess my point is, this team is NOT mediocre. While they may not be great, nor part of the elite, mediocre they are not. IMO, I would rather have a team that is competitive year after year and never get past the first round (but always have a chance to), rather than a team that has ONE great chance to make it to the second round, then never make the playoffs ever again. I don't want all my eggs in one basket!

This team is setup to do well in the long-run. Hopefully these die-hard fans that are "leaving" this team because they don't make noise in the playoffs realize this. Plus, you do have to remember we did have one or two years where we were battling for #1 spot in the Western Conference with the Red Wings. I'd say that is elite, right Kariya, Timonen, Hartnell, and Vokoun?

And while historically the facts go against what you are saying. But it doesn't mean that there is not any truth behind what you are saying at all.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
As long as we finish higher than Detroit, we could miss the playoffs entirely and that would be enough to keep me happy

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
As long as we finish higher than Detroit, we could miss the playoffs entirely and that would be enough to keep me happy

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

Sure, there are a couple of teams that have done worse than us over the course of our existence (i.e. Florida, PHX), and they too are just screeching by.
hmm... you seem to have left out a few like the Rangers, Maple Leafs, and until last year, the Blackhawks and the Capitals.

Its not just a small market, expansion thing...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I think everyone is reading your posts with a chip on their shoulder or something...

While I disagree with what you are saying completely, I don't discredit that what you are saying does not have any truth. I understand where you are coming from, but I guess my point is, this team is NOT mediocre. While they may not be great, nor part of the elite, mediocre they are not. IMO, I would rather have a team that is competitive year after year and never get past the first round (but always have a chance to), rather than a team that has ONE great chance to make it to the second round, then never make the playoffs ever again. I don't want all my eggs in one basket!

This team is setup to do well in the long-run. Hopefully these die-hard fans that are "leaving" this team because they don't make noise in the playoffs realize this. Plus, you do have to remember we did have one or two years where we were battling for #1 spot in the Western Conference with the Red Wings. I'd say that is elite, right Kariya, Timonen, Hartnell, and Vokoun?

And while historically the facts go against what you are saying. But it doesn't mean that there is not any truth behind what you are saying at all.
If he would have said the team might see a slight dip in attendance if there isn't a better post season showing ... ok ... that point can be made. Rather than say something logical, he claims the team could face relocation in three years if they don't make "noise" immediately. Reductio ad absurdum at its best.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post

This.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I know it's there. I know we are spending over $20 million on legwand, erat, dumont, arnott, and sullivan, and not very wisely. And we just added another questionable 4 million contract in Rinne. Sure, we couldn't go out and get a Gaborik last year, but that's in large part because we had money tied up in the above mentioned players.
and Gaboriks team is in what place? with a maxed out to the cap payroll??

spending more money doesnt in any way shape or form guarantee success.

the fact is if this current team had more consistent goaltending for the last 3 months we'd be sitting comfortably in 4th challenging Chicago for the top of the division and we'd all feel pretty good about our chances in the playoffs. Adding some big, expensive scorer would have had less effect than Rinne playing in December and January like he did in November and most of last season....

Old
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

1) Making the playoffs is huge. Most teams kill for this and Nashville it's almost a second thought. If Management keeps going like this the fanbase will be spoiled.

2) The estimates I heard are about $750,000 for the first round and a bit more with the additional rounds.

3) the NHL playoffs are the one playoffs where anything can happen. 8th seeds can beat #1s. Litterally seeds mean nothing because if you have a hot goalie you can make the cup finals. That's why I love the fact Nashville is potientially facing Chicago. Vancouver worries me. SJ, possibly another team which can be beat in the first round.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If he would have said the team might see a slight dip in attendance if there isn't a better post season showing ... ok ... that point can be made. Rather than say something logical, he claims the team could face relocation in three years if they don't make "noise" immediately. Reductio ad absurdum at its best.
If we don't make it past the first round in the next three years, and the economy is still questionable, where do you see our attendance level in 2013?

Where do you see our attednace next year if we don't make the playoffs this year, and the economy is still in the tank?

For non-traditional markets, the best thing that's sparked new interest is playoff runs (see LA, Dallas, TB, etc). That is the most sure-fire way of bringing new fans to the sport and igniting dormant fans.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
If we don't make it past the first round in the next three years, and the economy is still questionable, where do you see our attendance level in 2013?

Where do you see our attednace next year if we don't make the playoffs this year, and the economy is still in the tank?

For non-traditional markets, the best thing that's sparked new interest is playoff runs (see LA, Dallas, TB, etc). That is the most sure-fire way of bringing new fans to the sport and igniting dormant fans.
I wouldnt have thought that attendance would be anywhere near as good as it is this year so this current ownership/admi group obviously has something on the ball that Leipolds bunch never did.

I agree with whoever said that first round exits will hack off the diehards but really wont negatively impact the casual fans. It will be a missed opportunity to grow the fan base not necessarily cause the fan base to shrink dramatically

Old
03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Do you even realize that every team you just mentioned saw the jump in attendance before their playoff run? You're really going to bring up LA, class of 67? Dallas, the relocated NorthStars who were a 30+ year old organization when they made their Cup run?

Status quo in the economy and on ice performance year long is going to result in ... (drumroll please) ... the status quo at the gate. Maybe it drops to 13.9 ... maybe it stays at 14.1 ... maybe it climbs to 14.3 ... there wont be a major change unless something drastic happens. 14-14.5k over the course of the season is doing well. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the Nashville market is ready for 16k paid anytime in the near future. Boosting attendance is a long term project.

There are reasons why the new owners have structured the team the way that they have and why they wanted ways to make money from non-hockey events at the arena. This team is built so that reaching 14k paid attendance but missing the post season isn't a killer ... making the post season but failing to reach 14k avg paid isn't a killer ... even missing 14k and the post season in the same season would hurt, but not lead to a death spiral.

The only good thing that Liepold did was bring hockey to Nashville. Beyond that, he did everything to mess things up. There was no plan for how to keep people showing up once the new wore off and the fickle city of Nashville moved on to the next new thing. Paid levels dropped from season 2 to 3 ... 3 to 4 ... 4 to 5. The overspending almost killed the team.

If you think the sky is about to fall and need a helmet ... just ask. I have extras.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There was no plan for how to keep people showing up once the new wore off and the fickle city of Nashville moved on to the next new thing.
Excatly. So what happens when the new wears off of first round exits? You claim we can have at least 8 first round exits and no wins, and attendance will be fine. Sorry dude, I disagree.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Excatly. So what happens when the new wears off of first round exits? You claim we can have at least 8 first round exits and no wins, and attendance will be fine. Sorry dude, I disagree.
Allot better then 8 years of not even making the playoffs...
but how do you know if we make it 8 times we dont at least win one? ... so care to tell me the lotto numbers next?
all we can do is compete each and every year, till we dont do that Im a true Nashville fan without question

Old
03-12-2010, 01:03 AM
OpenWheel

You can look at the glass as half-full and ask what would making the playoffs this year mean to the team? I think it would be significant, and help shake off the rest of the hangover from all the owner stuff. And winning a round? Oh happy day, even better. The fan base appears to be solid and growing.

Or, one could look at the glass as half empty and ask what would losing in the first round mean. I prefer the glass half full approach.

Here's a glass half full toast to the Preds finishing strong and making the playoffs! Can only take things one step at a time. Can't win if you aren't in.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:07 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Here's a glass half full toast to the Preds finishing strong and making the playoffs! Can only take things one step at a time. Can't win if you aren't in.

I'll drink to that! Positive vibes, everyone. One game at a time... the Preds looked great tonight until the third period. The collapse was no good, but the first and second periods proved that they CAN play excellently. They just have to do it for a full 60 minutes. And I have confidence in our team. Let's keep an optimistic attitude and root them on until the bitter end.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:13 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Let's keep an optimistic attitude and root them on until the bitter end.
I thought your post was intended to be quite optimistic but now I'm less sure.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote