HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

TPS Response 6 goalie pads

Old
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
devil26

vCash: 500
TPS Response 6 goalie pads

I just bought a set of these off ebay for 299 brand new 34+2 and was wondering what experiences people have had with TPS brand pads in general. Any insight would be great.

devil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
densetsu

My experiences with my TPS Summit pads and gloves in the last three years...

6 months in: The stitching of the graphic on the blocker began to come undone. I used an adhesive to try and prevent it from becoming worse, and so far it's held up.

12 months in: The leather strap for the knee on the right pad came completely out of the pad. The strap, which fit through a slot in the pad, flared out at the end so it didn't come out. That flared section of leather folded over, though, and the strap *did* come out. I secured the flared section to the pad with a screw, some washers, and a nut.

16 months in: The stitching for the knee lock on my right pad began to come undone, tearing the knee lock from the pad over the next few weeks. The left pad had a similar fate a few months later. I secured both with adhesives, and had to re-do this every year or so.

30 months in: I've noticed that the stitching in random, non-stress areas of the pads has been coming undone. On the side of the boot, the side of the pad, etc. This surprised me a lot, but so far it hasn't affected performance. I've been procrastinating on getting this fixed.

34 months in: The leather on the index finger of my blocker wore through; it's at the spot where I trigger-grip my stick. A few games later, the stitching of the index finger came undone. This is expected wear-and-tear, and it's not too expensive to re-palm a blocker.

I've been very disappointed with the quality of these pads; considering they're pro-level pads, they shouldn't have been falling apart so quickly. However, the Summit trapper and blocker have been great so far, with only one small unexpected event with the blocker (the graphic stitching).

I've read mixed reviews of these pads on the GSBB; between my individual experience and the general reception of these pads on GSBB, I'm not only staying clear of the Summit line but all TPS pads in general. I haven't done much research on the Response line of pads, though, so your experiences may be completely different than mine.

Last edited by densetsu: 03-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
devil26

Thank you for the rundown. That is a little surprising that so many stitching flaws would come from pro-level pads. Hopefully mine work out just fine.

Old
03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
densetsu

Crazy things can happen with pads.

I had my RBK 5K pads for two years -- low-level pads -- and aside from some wear and tear on the toes they were in mint condition when I retired them. Other guys using the same pads had them virtually deteriorate in a year.

There can be a ton of variables, from what manufacturing plant they're made at, if there was a good/bad batch of materials, if the plant's QC supervisor didn't have a cup of coffee that morning, etc.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:42 PM
gluvhand

If I remember correctly, TPS is getting out of/already out of the goalie equipment game. That's why I don't think you see any NHL goalie currently using them. Whoever was using them is now using another brand. Anything being bought currently is new/old stock. I've personally never owned any TPS gear so I can't comment as to the quality of the various model lines.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
devil26

Ya very true but i guess you would hope that they are made to the highest quality every time but thats obviously not the case. Ya i think aside from Lundqvist no one else in the league uses them. Not positive though.

Old
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
bestkeeper14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
If I remember correctly, TPS is getting out of/already out of the goalie equipment game. That's why I don't think you see any NHL goalie currently using them. Whoever was using them is now using another brand. Anything being bought currently is new/old stock. I've personally never owned any TPS gear so I can't comment as to the quality of the various model lines.
Craig Anderson?

bestkeeper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
devil26

good call. 2 goalies so far

Old
03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
gluvhand

Not sure what Anderson is wearing but Lundqvist is in Bauer now and started the year in them.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:12 PM
bestkeeper14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Not sure what Anderson is wearing but Lundqvist is in Bauer now and started the year in them.
Anderson is wearing Respons 10's...

bestkeeper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkeeper14 View Post
Anderson is wearing Respons 10's...

Cool. Thanks for the info. A quick search for TPS's web-site shows them owned by/sold by Sher-wood now. Every goalie shown as an endorsee is using the
Sher-wood branded gear and Anderson isn't listed or shown as far as I can see. They have two models of pads and mainly sticks available under the TPS brand. Looks like a slow phase-out.