HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Salary Cap Shopping Game

Old
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
GrouperTrooper

vCash: 500
I disagree on your use of "a blind homer". I'll agree to disagree on what Gonch's next contract will be. I think the "35 and over" clause negatively impacts what Gonchar commands.

"The things all of us who work look for"
Not exactly guy. Money ain't everything. Oh and I work for a living .

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Man View Post
If we can't speculate here on a message board about hockey then I suppose we shouldn't speak of the subject at all then, eh?

It's reasonable to assume he will go after the same thing many players have gone after in free agency, which is money and job security. The things all of us who work look for.

Those two things will most likely equal a big money contract with several years tacked on. With the Pens salary cap, as it stands, it will be very difficult and extremely unlikely that they will be able to accommodate his contractual demands.

Gonchar is one of the top defenseman in the league, and as such he will be compensated for his worth. People consider Tomas Kaberle's contract to be of great value, and he is getting paid at least $1-$1.25 million more than what some Pens fans think Gonchar may re-sign for. Lets be realistic...that ain't happening.

Therefore, only a blind homer would assume he would sign for significantly less money than he is worth. Is it really that hard to understand?

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
River Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperTrooper View Post
I disagree on your use of "a blind homer". I'll agree to disagree on what Gonch's next contract will be. I think the "35 and over" clause negatively impacts what Gonchar commands.

"The things all of us who work look for"
Not exactly guy. Money ain't everything. Oh and I work for a living .
So you don't look for financial gain and job security? Alrighty then...

Money isn't everything, but when you are speaking of $3 million and $5 million thats a huge difference.

Like I said, we'll see what Gonchar does. Chances are I'm right.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote