HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Win's a win, Habs beat Oilers 5-4 in SO

Old
03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Markov faught the puck ALL night, i can't tell you how many times the puck was right on his stick at the blue and he missed it.
That happened a lot tonight, but not just to Markov. IMO, Markov had a great game. He was productive, two assists, +3 and he had almost 30 minutes of ice time to go along with those numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Anybody else starting to see the value of Moore? He was a beast tonight and Moen is back to being a solid contributor since joining that line. I know we paid a good amount, but I hope we can lock him up at a reasonable cost for 2-3 years to complement Pleks and Gomez.
Yeah, he's been real good for us on the third line. Glad the second we gave up was a second round pick in 2011, which is supposed to be a weak draft.

I'd like to focus on re-signing Plekanec first though, but we should definitely see how much it would cost to keep Dominic Moore. He's been a real nice addition for us mentioned.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:14 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Still... 20-9-3 with him in the lineup. This still is pretty good. Going from a team playing ,400 to a team playing ,650 hockey. He's our MVP, our franchise player. Don't get ahead of yourselves people, Price and Subban aren't the face of this franchise for year to come. Markov is, until he retires.
I agree. He's definitely a building block.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
he got the win, don't care about the rest
Oh well.. I bet if it was Price today.. you would be all over him..

I remember the last game Price won against the Caps.. something like 5-4. Lots of Price haters was all over Price and did not have the "we won, i don't care about the rest" attitude.

And I don't believe you anymore when you say you like both goalies.. Its pretty obvious that you are in the like Halak, hates Price group.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Seriously, you guys are hard to follow. Once again tonight Markov broke out an outstanding number of scoring chances, played sound positionally and ended the night with 2 assists and a record of +3. What exactly are people expecting? We're freaking 20-9-3 with the guy in the lineup, and people still find a way to bring him down a way or another.
Last 6 games:

1 goal
6 assists
+8

Who said he needed the powerplay to produce.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:21 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post

I remember the last game Price won against the Caps.. something like 5-4. Lots of Price haters was all over Price and did not have the "we won, i don't care about the rest" attitude.

And I don't believe you anymore when you say you like both goalies.. Its pretty obvious that you are in the like Halak, hates Price group.
What about me, do you believe me ? Halak sucked tonight. Not afraid to admit it.

And I'm sure most people who like Halak are openly willing to admit he sucked despite the fact we still won.

Now if it was Price, you guys would go crazy at the mere mention that he wasn't good in a win (which ironically is probably what happened in the 5-4 win vs the caps thread).

Old
03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post

Same can be said about that Dallas game as well where we won 5-3.

The "winning is what matters" statement does not apply to Price.

There is clearly a double standard on this board. But anyone that brings it up is considered a fanboy.

Mind you, Halak has earned the right to have a game like tonight and not be blamed. It happens to the best of them. But it is like when Price won 4-1 vs Boston. Many focused on the weak goal he gave up and then said it was the easiest game of the season.

Meanwhile Halak wins 4-2 against the Kings and it "oh look at how well the Habs play with Halak in nets."

The bottom line is we are now 5-1 since the Olympics with our only loss coming to the 2nd best team in the league. And out of those 5 wins, our goalies have not had to steal any of them. The team is getting healthier and they are playing better.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That started with the irrational complaints of Markov faking injuries to get a rest before the olympics.

That said, Markov hasn't been as good as the past 2 seasons this season. But I totally expected that because players who miss the beginning of the season often end up underachieving for that particular season. It's only normal, not his fault. And even then, Markov is still our best dman by about a million miles. Watch out for him next season, he'll be back to his old top 5 dman self.
Exactly. I don't know why some seem offended that people have criticized Markov's play. He was not himself for about 2 weeks before the Olympics. Since then he has started to pick it up and return to his old form. He still is not at his elite status but is playing much better than before.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 8 View Post

Yeah, he's been real good for us on the third line. Glad the second we gave up was a second round pick in 2011, which is supposed to be a weak draft.

I'd like to focus on re-signing Plekanec first though, but we should definitely see how much it would cost to keep Dominic Moore. He's been a real nice addition for us mentioned.
I thought we would have a very nice shutdown line with Moen - Moore - Lappy. I think Sergei has taken that spot on the wing though. The line has been pretty effective in almost all their games together. Sergei also adds more of a scoring touch which is necessary for a 3rd line.

I think Moore might be the replacement for Metro next year.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

lmao...I'm one of the few who like both goalies and I'm just happy to have two solid #1 goalies but the DOUBLE STANDARD on this board is HILARIOUS!

Halak Win = OMGz he won, he's a winnar!!! Who cares that even Helen Keller knew he sucked throughout the entire game. He was "amazing" (seriously, a poster said that) in the shootout. Even though he had one post and two people not even get a shot off

Price win = "Wow, Halak gets the next start for sure...why did Price even start!?!"

Halak wins despite having a sub .900 save % all the time and he's god. Price wins in the same circumstances and he's lynched.

Unreal

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
I thought we would have a very nice shutdown line with Moen - Moore - Lappy. I think Sergei has taken that spot on the wing though. The line has been pretty effective in almost all their games together. Sergei also adds more of a scoring touch which is necessary for a 3rd line.

I think Moore might be the replacement for Metro next year.
Yeah, Plekanec, Gomez, Moore, Lapierre looks good down the middle if we can get Moore and Plekanec locked up for next year.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Same can be said about that Dallas game as well where we won 5-3.

The "winning is what matters" statement does not apply to Price.

There is clearly a double standard on this board. But anyone that brings it up is considered a fanboy.

Mind you, Halak has earned the right to have a game like tonight and not be blamed. It happens to the best of them.
But it is like when Price won 4-1 vs Boston. Many focused on the weak goal he gave up and then said it was the easiest game of the season.

Meanwhile Halak wins 4-2 against the Kings and it "oh look at how well the Habs play with Halak in nets."

The bottom line is we are now 5-1 since the Olympics with our only loss coming to the 2nd best team in the league. And out of those 5 wins, our goalies have not had to steal any of them. The team is getting healthier and they are playing better.
I actually like what Halak did tonight even if he let in a couple of softies. It was cleared that it wasn't his night but he still manage to bounce back and win the game in shootout.

Of course, the offense help him scoring 4 goals... something Price rarely gets in a weak game.

One thing I know is that if it was Price that was in net today, this PGT would be over 20 pages long, with Earl and Viau and the anti-Price club, saying Price was a piece of ****, was on his knees way too fast, has a weak glove, cannot beat the worst team in the league in regulation.. you know.. the stupid stuffs.

At least, when Halak has a bad game, we don't see the Price supporter acting like Halak is this or that. Just claiming he had a bad game and keeping it "clean" and civilized.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
What about me, do you believe me ? Halak sucked tonight. Not afraid to admit it.

And I'm sure most people who like Halak are openly willing to admit he sucked despite the fact we still won.

Now if it was Price, you guys would go crazy at the mere mention that he wasn't good in a win (which ironically is probably what happened in the 5-4 win vs the caps thread).
It actually did happen. He was crapped on in that game. The same went for the Dallas game that we won 5-3, Price was crapped on for that as well.

I dunno, it's really fustrating. I don't even hate Halak, I've actually never put him down. The whole thing is that I don't even bother defending Price anymore because I'm labled a Price fanboy. I'm not a fanboy, I'm just trying to explain that he isn't anywhere as bad as what he is made out to be.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:46 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
lmao...I'm one of the few who like both goalies and I'm just happy to have two solid #1 goalies but the DOUBLE STANDARD on this board is HILARIOUS!

Halak Win = OMGz he won, he's a winnar!!! Who cares that even Helen Keller knew he sucked throughout the entire game. He was "amazing" (seriously, a poster said that) in the shootout. Even though he had one post and two people not even get a shot off

Price win = "Wow, Halak gets the next start for sure...why did Price even start!?!"

Halak wins despite having a sub .900 save % all the time and he's god. Price wins in the same circumstances and he's lynched.

Unreal
How do you get that from this situation ? You have a couple of people that said outlandish things about Halak's performances tonight. How do you equate that to "the boards".

Most fans of Halak actually aren't even fans of Halak, they are just able to discern reality from dreams. A majority of people in this thread fully admitted that Halak was terrible. And I'll also add that Halak's performance in the SO was the luckiest thing I've ever seen. He flopped all over the ice, looked the wrong way and got insanely lucky. Most people that like Halak are actually quite reasonable and fully willing to admit that. If the situation was the opposite, Price fans would go berserk at the idea that he wasn't good.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
How do you get that from this situation ? You have a couple of people that said outlandish things about Halak's performances tonight. How do you equate that to "the boards".

Most fans of Halak actually aren't even fans of Halak, they are just able to discern reality from dreams. A majority of people in this thread fully admitted that Halak was terrible. And I'll also add that Halak's performance in the SO was the luckiest thing I've ever seen. He flopped all over the ice, looked the wrong way and got insanely lucky. Most people that like Halak are actually quite reasonable and fully willing to admit that. If the situation was the opposite, Price fans would go berserk at the idea that he wasn't good.
I hope you know there's only like 3 crazy Price fans, the same way there is 3 crazy Halak fans. The majority of the fan base is pretty reasonable when it comes to the goaltending controversy. Why it gets out of hand is because usually one of the three from either side starts enticing which gets everyone riled up and it ends a stupid debate.

Old
E = CH²

Isn't it possible that Price was also bad and won a game ? Just like Halak was tonight ? Can't people just say that ?

We've won games despite Halak being bad, and it's happened the other way too. Saying Price is bad in a win doesn't mean "he's getting crapped on". You guys are overly protective of Price and focusing on what a couple of lunatics are saying (the 1-2 person in this thread that said Halak was great in the SO or whatever).

Old
Bunka Gurndeep

IMHO Halak has always been one of the worst goalies in the shootout I've seen.

Price has always been one of the best. Actually, the game vs Detroit where Datsyuk and Zetterberg scored in the shootout was the first time all year Price was scored on in the shootout (and we'd gone to shootout about 6 times by that point I think. quite impressive)

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:52 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I hope you know there's only like 3 crazy Price fans, the same way there is 3 crazy Halak fans. The majority of the fan base is pretty reasonable when it comes to the goaltending controversy. Why it gets out of hand is because usually one of the three from either side starts enticing which gets everyone riled up and it ends a stupid debate.
So true.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:54 PM
E = CH²

Quote:

Price has always been one of the best. Actually, the game vs Detroit where Datsyuk and Zetterberg scored in the shootout was the first time all year Price was scored on in the shootout (and we'd gone to shootout about 6 times by that point I think. quite impressive)
I don't have a good impression of Halak in SO either, but someone posted that halak has the best win % of the league in SO this season. That actually surprised me a lot.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Andy

Quote:
Isn't it possible that Price was also bad and won a game ? Just like Halak was tonight ? Can't people just say that ?

We've won games despite Halak being bad, and it's happened the other way too. Saying Price is bad in a win doesn't mean "he's getting crapped on". You guys are overly protective of Price and focusing on what a couple of lunatics are saying (the 1-2 person in this thread that said Halak was great in the SO or whatever).
I beg to differ...some quotes from the capitals game

Quote:
Price is horrible, Habs have heart to win in spite of this bum
Quote:
Price can leave. I dont want to see him in goal unless Halak goes down...BIG FAIL COWBOY!
Quote:
Theorem of Price

The Canadians shall allow a minimum of 3 goals if and only if Carey Price is the designated goalie.
Quote:
Theorem of Price

The Canadians shall allow a minimum of 3 goals if and only if Carey Price is the designated goalie.
Quote:
Way to crap the bed Carey...
Quote:
I am tired of the floaters this guy allows
Quote:
Seriously, Price is getting on my nerves.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
JackZap

halak was horrible 2nite made closer than needed. Credit for some saves in the 3rd to keep it tied.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:11 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I beg to differ...some quotes from the capitals game
Are those any worse than people willingly admitting Halak was dreadful tonight ?

Quote:
We won despite Halak, thats all
Quote:
Yup. He was terrible tonight.
Quote:
Jaro was terrible tonight but somehow we still won.
Quote:
If halak wasnt as shaky as he was, wed be more confortable because the win wouldve been more convincing.
Quote:
- Halak was horrible (except for the breakaway in OT and the SO)
Quote:
I love the win but frankly Halak got lucky in the shoot out. gagner lost the handle, another oiler hit the cross bar, and yet another could not lift it over a belly sliding halak. Finally jaro was looking behind himself on yet another shot

I'll take a win from either goalie but halak did not have a good game. Just calling it as it is
There's a lot more, but I don't feel like digging them up. Halak got the same treatment from people on these boards tonight. They called it like it was. I don't call that getting crapped on personally. Halak deserved those kind of comments tonight despite the fact he's won more games than Price this season and is in a situation where for him to have a bad game is a bit more forgivable than if it was Price IMO.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:19 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Funny how Sergei face washed Gomez after the SO. Gomez didnt like it one bit because of his injured lip. Poor Sergei trying to befriend, not working
video??

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Quote:

Unreal
You must find life very confusing. I mean, goalies that are terrible in shootouts and struggling to post save percentages above 0.900 being among the league leaders statistically in both categories...

Quote:
lmao...I'm one of the few who like both goalies
Yeah, I mean, that much is obvious.

Quote:
Are those any worse than people willingly admitting Halak was dreadful tonight ?

There's a lot more, but I don't feel like digging them up. Halak got the same treatment from people on these boards tonight. They called it like it was. I don't call that getting crapped on personally. Halak deserved those kind of comments tonight despite the fact he's won more games than Price this season and is in a situation where for him to have a bad game is a bit more forgivable than if it was Price IMO.
Exactly. You're allowed to have a few wins where you're not spectacular if you already have a boatload where you were.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Boardish

Quote:

I'm sorry I haven't read everything, but I guess here you're kidding right? At least I hope so.

Halak has the best SV% this season in SO (.938), and the second best SV% ALL TIME in SO (.824, trailing only to someone who faced 8 shots...).

nhl.com and nhlshootouts for stats.

BTW, I'm not saying he's the greatest goalie ever in SO, because he obviously hasn't faced as many shots as... let's say Lundqvist or whatever, but saying he's one of the worst? That's ridiculous.

Last edited by Boardish: 03-12-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:32 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Weird.

Halak, statistically, is one of the best goalies in the history of the NHL shootout.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote