HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

On Draft day:Players worth our 1st round for...

Old
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Stephan? AA has an outside chance. Nothing else.
Stepan is good, id love it if he became a #1 center and he's probably the best center prospect we have currently, but Seguin is much more of a sure thing

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Given the fact that we are going nowhere in the next few years because of unmovable contracts and the fact our team structure is similar to the Knicks in such a way. Lets learn from their mistakes and not trade away our first rounders when it appears we have better odds of stinking the next few years.

The Knicks are a perfect example of what not to do with picks. and what not to do when you have bad contracts.

Let the contracts expire, keep our picks unless we can trade up, and in 2-3 years our core players will be in their primes, we will have the next crop coming in, and if we are lucky maybe a blue chipper can be drafted and blend in with the established young core and not feel like a "savior" at the age of 19 or whatever. I know this is unfair to Gabby and Hank but this franchise is going nowhere now, like the Knicks, I'd hate to see it still going nowhere in 3,4,7 or 8 years as well.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Corey Perry on the Rangers would be as irrelevant as Ryan Smith was on the Islanders.
Uh. No. Watch him play.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uh. No. Watch him play.
I don't watch the Ducks much. What does he bring? I've heard so much about Ryan and Geztlaf, whats he bring to the table?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I don't watch the Ducks much. What does he bring? I've heard so much about Ryan and Geztlaf, whats he bring to the table?
You've heard more about Bobby Ryan than Corey Perry...?

Did you watch the Olympics?

He's a PPG player this year and last year. Likes the physical game (though not at Getzlaf's level). Loves to talk and get guys off their game. And is an all around great player.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I don't give up that 1st pick and draft and build from within.

If we're picking in the Top 10, thats an indication that we need an influx of cheap young talent that a Top 10 pick can give us.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You've heard more about Bobby Ryan than Corey Perry...?

Did you watch the Olympics?

He's a PPG player this year and last year. Likes the physical game (though not at Getzlaf's level). Loves to talk and get guys off their game. And is an all around great player.
I heard of him. Never really seen his game.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:09 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Trading down makes no sense for this organization right now because we're too many pieces away from a championship AND we lack that blue-chip forward prospect.

It's going to take more than our first round draft pick to trade for a proven first line guy under 25. No sense putting that package together right now when we're barely a playoff team.
Grachev? eeeh idk if hes that future franchise scorer though but the closest thing we got

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Grachev? eeeh idk if hes that future franchise scorer though but the closest thing we got
And Torts is the closest thing we have to a coach...

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:01 AM
LyNX27

This team is in need of Scoring forward prospects. We are in no position to trade away our first round pick. Too far away from a cup or a good ranking in the play offs to risk it.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:53 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

NY needs a franchise center

They are pretty well set on the blueline and in nets

Anything short of a franchise pivot just isn't worth giving up a pick

I think NY should just go with Best overall player come draft time

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Corey Perry on the Rangers would be as irrelevant as Ryan Smith was on the Islanders.
Not to disrespect ThirdEye, but I have to say that I agree 100% (like Smyth wasn't exactly worthless for the Islanders, and Perry would be one of other better players too).

BUT, is that what this team lacks? PFs? Attitude players? Guys who will show up every night? Will shoot the puck instead of pass it around the perimeter? Guys who can forecheck?

Like opposed to our current players; Nylander, Marcel Hossa, Rucinsky and Jagr -- or what? I don't get it.

Last time I checked, the teams that can carry the play are succesful in the game of hockey today -- like it can't be disputed. Everyone is talking about it. At every level, for every good team, players who gets their team to carry the play are or have played a essential role.

When does a team become good at carrying the play?
When they have players who can hold on to the puck. Because if you can't get the puck down deep, you can't forecheck. That have Detroit proven multiple times. And thats what we are seeing against teams like Pittsburgh or Washington. You can't be offensive if you are chasing the puck in your own end all the time. The key is to be able to be better then the other team at taking the puck out of your own end and into the attacking zone.

And thats the problem we have. We only have two forwards on the entire roster who even remotely are good at holding on to the puck. Gabby and Prospal. One is a sniper and the other is 35. Thats why we only are able put like 1 shot per net per period at times, or a total of 19 per game. Like compare our shot stats this season with the previous 3 years. Its ridiculos how much worse we have become in that perspective against the better teams. We don't even have a remote shot against the smart and good teams under Torts.

From my point of view, its extremely obvious that we need skill first and foremost.

Still at least once per day you see someone say something like "the last thing we need is another small and soft player."

I can't get that. I just can't understand how someone can come to that conclusion this year.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Ola

Like seriously, where is peoples soul-searching?

Last year, the general opinion around the team -- from the start -- was that we should be a contender if we only had a coach who would hold the players accountable and could get that to show up every night. There is no doubt, this years roster is better then last years. We have a PPQB, a sniper, the younger players are older et c. Is any conclusions drawn from that? I have not seen any.

When we had Nylander, Jagr and co -- the general opinion was that we would be a contender if we only have guys who would stop passing the puck around the perimeter. During that era we had a ton of really flawed players, and big holes on the roster (that we don't have today), but we were still able to match any team in the league and wasn't that far away.

Now we have a roster built almost without exception around shoot first -- NA- & N-S-players -- in other words exactly what the general opinion have asked for -- and we Fing SUCK A TON MORE THEN WE HAVE THE LAST HALF DECADE. Again, we are a joke in this league.

Does nobody of the general opinion ask them selfs if they were correct in the past? This is after all what they wanted.

Apparantly thats not the case. God forbid that we get anyone who will pass up a shot to make a play. I mean other teams are built around playmakers, but god forbid that we go there. We need players who will show up every night, thats all that it takes. A coach who can discipline them. Players who will put the puck on the net.

The general opinions dream, and I mean dream, is still to be able to build Calgary Flames II in NY. A team that barely can get into the PO's, and once they get there, are humiliated by the better teams with any type of skill on their rosters (you know, the soft and small euros).

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Nich

I have a crazy idea, hoqw about we keep the pick and draft BPA?

Especially considering if we get leap frogged by 2-3 teams we can end up with a pick as high as 2...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I only give it up if there's a #1 center coming back our way. Otherwise, leggo my draft pick.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Ola,

Not sure you have been reading the same message board as I have been reading but the majority of posters on this board have been clamoring for a playmkaing center for a while now.

This team lacks true offensive talent, be that talent a shooting talent (Gaborik has that) or a legit playmaking talent (Prospal is the best one that comes to mind).

The need for a playmaking center was the reason for signing Gomez and to a certain extent Drury.

Carrying the play is great and all, but unless you can finish, carrying the play isn't going to produce much.

You point to Washington and Pittsburgh and Detroit as teams that can carryt he play well. That's a fair point, but those teams have something that we do not have.

They have great centers AND great scorers.

Det - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom
Was - OV, Backstrom, Semin, Green
Pitt - Sid & Malkin, Gonchar

Those are things that the Rangers cannot measure up to at all.

What proven PPQB do we have? You really think that MDZ is an established PPQB? In my and mostly everyone else's opinion he's still a rookie that has the potential to eventually be a PPQB. Who is this PF that you speak of on this team? We have a PF? I'd like to see him. We do have a legit sniper and goalie and that's about it.

The puck possession game that Nylander and Jagr played was done to perfection. But beyond that line that team was very very flawed., This team is just as, if not more flawed.

Then we had a sembelance of a 1st line center. Now we do not.

Then we had what amounts to one of the best players to ever lace up skates in Jagr. Not only that, but he was motivated as were his Czech teammates because of the vast majority of hockey pundits thought we had to many foreign players. THey played with a passion and a purpose.

This team, while Gaborik is currently an elite player, he's no Jagr. Not even close. Jagr was a player that could carry a franchise, Gaborik, as much as I like him, cannot.

Today's team is just as, if not more flawed than any of it's previous 4 predecessors.

We have no No. 1 center, we have no secondary scoring. Our defence is soft and VERY young. The system that we play today is not remotely similar to the system that the older team played then.

There's a place for puck possession hockey, but what the Rangers morphed into was a team that funneled EVERYTHING through one player. Everything went to Jagr so that he could shoot the puck, but the problem there was that opposing teams knew that and made their adjustments to that. The Rangers never then re-adjusted to get different shooters the puck and continued to funnel everything to Jagr.

I agree that puck possesion is key to winning games, but so is having shooters that are good at what they do. Something that we do not have aside from Gabby.

We don't have the ability to cycle the puck, we have no legit PF that can take defenders with him to the net so as to open ice for his teammates. Once our legit sniper has been canceled out, we have no one to step up ib his absence and we have no legit center that can distribute the puck.

Today's team is worse than last years team and they were worse than the year before.

I don't want to be the Flames, I want the Rangers to be the Rangers. I want competent players throughout the line-up. I want a 1st line playmaking center, One that would allow the Rangers the ability to split that player and Gaborik so that we become a more dangerous offensie team to play against, I'd like some 2nd line scoring that is consistently in the 50+ point range and I'd like a defence that can move the puck, but also protect the front of the net.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote