HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/9/10 - Florida @ Minnesota - 7PM CST - KSTC (SD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2010, 10:51 PM
  #226
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I really hope so, I thought this last year was the year that we were going to do it for sure.



It was a horrible game, and I wish we would have gotten something for Nolan. Even a 3rd would be better at this point, what's he going to do for us next year? I just don't see him helping us out that much.



You never know what can happen, I hope that they do make it, I can't hate the Panthers, I feel like Vokoun doesn't get the attention he deserves. Tremendous goaltender.
He's a UFA after this year. So he will walk and probably sign with San Jose

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
  #227
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Nolan would have to take a decent-sized paycut given the salary cap conundrum San Jose will have at the end of the season - they have $20 million to sign a dozen players (with Pavelski due to have a large raise).

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
  #228
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Nolan would have to take a decent-sized paycut given the salary cap conundrum San Jose will have at the end of the season - they have $20 million to sign a dozen players (with Pavelski due to have a large raise).
You are forgetting who is on their UFA for next year:

Patty Marleau $6M
Devin Setoguchi $1.75M and is RFA
Scott Nichol $750,000
Manny Malhotra $700,000
Ryan Vesce $550,000
Jed Ortmeyer $550,00
Rob Blake $3.5M
Niclas Wallin $1.75M
Jay Leach $250K

Currently, they have $34M in salary committed for next year. That means they basically have $20M to give out to players. When you have Rob Blake on the verge of retiring, the rights to Seto is worth a decent pick, and how many other kids that really don't matter that are just there....its pretty easy to sign Nolan to a $2M deal to play with a team that is still devoted as hell to him.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
  #229
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I wonder if that "deal" that didn't make it on deadline day was one for Nolan? Do you think that it could be? I suppose it might be too much to think that Nolan would garner a 3rd, 5th, and a roster player.

Either way, we should have traded Nolan for something since like you said, he will walk, and I doubt that he will take a paycut to stay here.

We'll have to wait and see.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM
  #230
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I wonder if that "deal" that didn't make it on deadline day was one for Nolan? Do you think that it could be? I suppose it might be too much to think that Nolan would garner a 3rd, 5th, and a roster player.

Either way, we should have traded Nolan for something since like you said, he will walk, and I doubt that he will take a paycut to stay here.

We'll have to wait and see.
Nolan would have gotten us at least a 3rd rounder depending on the team. This whole "we still want to compete even though we'll only doom ourselves by getting the 14th pick in the entry draft by doing so" mentality is what will screw us over in the long run unless they can assure us the scouts won't jack it up somehow. Or that they have reasonable knowledge that Nolan will sign with us again next year.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:32 AM
  #231
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Nolan would have gotten us at least a 3rd rounder depending on the team. This whole "we still want to compete even though we'll only doom ourselves by getting the 14th pick in the entry draft by doing so" mentality is what will screw us over in the long run unless they can assure us the scouts won't jack it up somehow. Or that they have reasonable knowledge that Nolan will sign with us again next year.
Nolan was quoted as saying something along the lines that he'd like to stay here, but if we are going to be rebuilding or going younger or something, he'd rather go to a contender.

This year, the going price for most players was a 2nd round pick. I'm thinking we may have been able to pry one away from someone, but I would've taken a 3rd round pick for him.

Worst case that happens then is we can take another player or use it as a bargaining chip in a trade. We have about zero offensive talent coming up at the forward position.

Our drafting has been horrible, and I mostly attribute that to TT, but I thought we have hired more scouts this year...and hopefully Fletcher will pick out the right player this year. I think that we will end up having a pick somewhere in the top 10, hopefully we can land someone good there.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:23 PM
  #232
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
You are forgetting who is on their UFA for next year:

Patty Marleau $6M
Devin Setoguchi $1.75M and is RFA
Scott Nichol $750,000
Manny Malhotra $700,000
Ryan Vesce $550,000
Jed Ortmeyer $550,00
Rob Blake $3.5M
Niclas Wallin $1.75M
Jay Leach $250K

Currently, they have $34M in salary committed for next year. That means they basically have $20M to give out to players. When you have Rob Blake on the verge of retiring, the rights to Seto is worth a decent pick, and how many other kids that really don't matter that are just there....its pretty easy to sign Nolan to a $2M deal to play with a team that is still devoted as hell to him.
That sounds like a lot, but it all depends on what the Sharks do with the $6 million Marleau makes. If San Jose re-signs him or uses that money for another marquee free agent and a raise for Pavelski (who should get a good raise), then there's a little money left for an Owen Nolan (basically Wallin's $1.75 million if they replace him with an AHLer +/- whatever it costs to replace Blake - it's possible but I don't how much of a paycut Nolan wants to take). If they don't sign a free agent and let Marleau walk, then the money should be readily available to sign Nolan to a one-year deal at his current salary and add some more NHL depth.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
  #233
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Lots of woulda/coulda/shoulda instances we could see with San Jose. However, if you look at that depth....how much of it can easily be replaced??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
  #234
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Lots of woulda/coulda/shoulda instances we could see with San Jose. However, if you look at that depth....how much of it can easily be replaced??
A good amount although those are all the $1 million and under guys. And I can't see Nolan taking that much of a discount.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:39 AM
  #235
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
A good amount although those are all the $1 million and under guys. And I can't see Nolan taking that much of a discount.
Depends on how badly he wants it I guess. Not so sure Blake will back with them either...

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.