HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren assists in developing blindside hit/hits to head rule

Old
03-11-2010, 07:10 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Eh in the end I guess its better to call a flimsy head shot penalty then let them keep bombing away at each others heads. The Olympics had a no hit to the head policy and the Olympics were great!
Agreed. Players learn to play within the rules, no matter what the rules are. The OHL has had a headcheck penalty for a couple of years now - most of the time, they get it right. There are a few exceptions we've seen this year in the OHL, but players are well aware of the rule and aim for the body, not the head.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
kicksave27

The olympics also showed that no fighting allows big softie guys like Nash to run guys all game long without fear of repercussion. Maybe if cooke had to answer for the crap he does, he wouldn't be around anymore. Before we had the sideshow fighters, you had guys like Dave Brown who policed the game. They did a much better job then the refs have since. Players are more afraid of getting penalized for fighting now than for headshots.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
KimiFerrari, why are you not renamed KimiCitroŽn? Har har har, I'm hilarious....

Ok bad joke finished... Alonso is gonna be even scarier down there if the Ferrari F10 is as good as Messa and Alonso are hinting at.

But back to the topic at hand... It's definitely a slippery slope. It needs to be done but... I can just see a lot of iffy calls for 2-5 minutes. I have no problem with head shot suspensions and such, but I can see it being botched a lot on ice, with refs being quick to whistle for a hit to the head. I mean the Carter hit was posted here as a hit to the head here, and if I recall that was actually shoulder to shoulder... so I mean... This even confuses some people on replay.

Eh in the end I guess its better to call a flimsy head shot penalty then let them keep bombing away at each others heads. The Olympics had a no hit to the head policy and the Olympics were great!

But honestly I wouldn't care that much. Big hits are good, but seeing the stretcher come out, while thrilling when I was 9, sort of lost its appeal to me now. If the players won't respect each other, then I guess something has to be done about it.
Rolf, well unless someone else wins a title with Ferrari, then I'll change my name. Until then I'll keep my name as is ;p.

I agree it should be handled just like High Sticking. Accident or not, if you are being careless with you stick you will get a penalty. This should be applied to head shot/"finishing checks".

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Step one has to be to outlaw hard shell padding. The second thing should be to eliminate the instigator or re-write it to allow players to police the game without worrying about getting tossed and hurting their team.
as they say on this board. THIS
I have been saying this for quite awhile now. The shoulder pads, the elbow pads players wear are weapons. pure and simple. I am shocked that this something that has not been brought up.
That said the more and more I watch the Cooke hit I dont see how anyone can think they are the same. I watch the Cooke hit and I see Savards head snap back makes me sick. it really does. Maybe I am seeing things but what I see is Cooke lifting his arm just as he is about to deliver the hit on Savard. Richards kept his arm and shoulder tucked in.
I wonder what would of happened if Lucic delivers this same type of hit to Malkin. Would there be no suspension and would they be comparing it to the Richards hit on Booth and use that reason for no suspension? doubt it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
kicksave27

Cooke is a pen, they are above the rules. Even black & white ones. Malkin gets into a fight, last 5 minutes of a playoff game, doesn't miss the next game. Thats pretty clear. Bettman should have skated around with the pens last year with a 1 Fan jersey on.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote