HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help Problems Stopping

Old
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
imkegg85

vCash: 500
Help Problems Stopping

I just recently got my skates sharpened and switched from a 5/8 to 1/2. I'm not sure why I did this but I did ha. It hasn't been to bad to get used to but I've been having problems stopping without getting that bouncy feeling like when I first learned how stop. Anyone have ideas on how I can fix this and get used to stopping with this hollow?

imkegg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
trisgale

did you have problems keeping an edge with 5/8? if not I would go back to it. 1/2 might just be too much.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Pog Form

Bouncy feeling as in chatter? That usually happens if your hollow is too deep for your body type and skating style. Were you having trouble holding your edge at 5/8? If so, I would suggest trying 9/16 if your shop will do it for you. It's halfway between 1/2 and 5/8, so you might find it to be a happy medium.

Hope this helps.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
imkegg85

Nope no problems holding the 5/8's just having some problems now. I called and asked and the person was no help what so ever so I'll try back tomorrow about the 9/16's. I think I might be moving back to 5/8's soon though. Thanks guys.

imkegg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManHammer44 View Post
Nope no problems holding the 5/8's just having some problems now. I called and asked and the person was no help what so ever so I'll try back tomorrow about the 9/16's. I think I might be moving back to 5/8's soon though. Thanks guys.
No problem. 9/16 will have a bit better bite than the 5/8, but hopefully you won't get the chatter you're experiencing with the 1/2. Like I said, though, I've had places tell me they won't do it by 16ths. My arena is like that, so I go to my LHS if I need them done by the 16th.

I hope that they will do the 9/16 for you and that you like it and don't have to go back to 5/8, because keep in mind that going from a deeper hollow to a shallower one like you'd be doing (1/2 to 9/16 to 5/8), you'll lose more of your blade during each sharpening than if you were to go from shallower to deeper. Does that make sense?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
cmdrdredd

Yeah when I switched to the Flat bottom V grind instead of the traditional hollow I went to a 100/75 and it had too much bite. I got the chatter like you have. Went down to 90/75 and it was better but I wanted more edge. You were comfortable on 5/8 and switched, it's a learning curve to change the grind. That's why many good players don't switch unless they have to, once they are comfortable that is.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:31 AM
backhander

5/8 bound...try 3/4...why not

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Hockeyfan68

Your hollow should be determined by your weight and playing style as already mentioned in here above.

It took me a long time to get the right one for me because of laziness to try different ones until I found it. I did however and it is a rather shallow 3/4" because I am a tall heavy guy.

I cannot even tell you what I was using before because I always got whatever the sharpener guy had his grinding wheel at that day.

You said you were feeling chatter so that is an edge issue for sure as explained already. try shllower hollows until it is too shallow and then go backwards to find the exact perfect one like I did. it took a few tries but was worth the effort.

No more having to dull my skates before playing on the bench door or floor mats for being too grippy. No more chattering on the outside edges stopping with both feet open apart.

I also had a chattering issue because of a bad rocker radius for my style of play. I was too far up on the toes. I had it redone to a neutral radius and then everything was fine.

This stuff can be irritating for sure but be patieint with it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:05 AM
nullterm

I once had a 3/8 and couldn't skate worth anything. Didn't know to ask, so whatever was on the machine just before I guess.

Then I tried out 1/2, 5/8, and finally 3/4. 3/4 is perfect for me I found out of all the hollows.

Try out a few different hollows and see what feels the best for you.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
AlexK

Can chatter be a problem with technique? In other words, is it something that can go away as you get used to your new, deeper, hollow?

I've always gotten 1/2" but I'm thinking of trying 7/16" and want to know what to expect.

AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Can chatter be a problem with technique? In other words, is it something that can go away as you get used to your new, deeper, hollow?

I've always gotten 1/2" but I'm thinking of trying 7/16" and want to know what to expect.
Sometimes no because if you use a deep hollow and you're a heavy player you might always dig into the ice too much and get the chatter. You want to shave the ice not grind into it. I've always read and heard that better skaters don't need as much of a hollow because they learned to trust their edges more and have a powerful stride that will dig in nicely when necessary. I've also heard that a lot of NHL guys use a shallower hollow because of their size compared to say myself who is about 5'9" and 165lbs

Having said that, I am sure that you can compensate slightly given time on it. I'm not sure you'll ever truly be comfortable on it in all aspects.

Old
03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
HowToHockey

I think you could compensate a bit, but the best idea is to get the hollow that is best suited for your style and weight.

I remember getting a deep hollow once and I got that rumble strip effect, I just found a piece of wood on the bench and rubbed the edge down a bit.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
customradius

Quote:

I recently switched to 7/16" after trying many others. This is what works for me, though I am just under 6' and 152#, so the extra bite helps. The one shortcoming is glide, or lack of it, I feel like I ran a marathon after one shift. I am considerng FBV to get the best of both worlds

customradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
AlexK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Sometimes no because if you use a deep hollow and you're a heavy player you might always dig into the ice too much and get the chatter. You want to shave the ice not grind into it. I've always read and heard that better skaters don't need as much of a hollow because they learned to trust their edges more and have a powerful stride that will dig in nicely when necessary. I've also heard that a lot of NHL guys use a shallower hollow because of their size compared to say myself who is about 5'9" and 165lbs

Having said that, I am sure that you can compensate slightly given time on it. I'm not sure you'll ever truly be comfortable on it in all aspects.
Interesting. I think sometimes I trust my edges too much and wipe out, that's why I'm curious about a deeper hollow. Plus, 7/16ths isn't too drastic, I think i'll give it a shot. I'm only 170 lbs so I'll see how it goes. Didn't realize you get less glide though, is that the tradeoff?

Also curious about FBV. Anybody know a shop that does these in North Jersey/Rockland?

Old
03-12-2010, 03:52 PM
cmdrdredd

When you have a hollow with more bite you get less glide. The FBV gives the best of both worlds.

http://blackstonesport.com/fbv_where.cfm#top

That website will tell you where you can get Flat Bottom V sharpenings state by state if you're interested in giving it a try.

Old
03-13-2010, 01:24 PM
DevilsFan38

If you weren't having problems with your edges before, go back to 5/8. That'll fix your stopping problem and you have more glide with that than you do with 1/2.

Quote:
Interesting. I think sometimes I trust my edges too much and wipe out, that's why I'm curious about a deeper hollow. Plus, 7/16ths isn't too drastic, I think i'll give it a shot. I'm only 170 lbs so I'll see how it goes. Didn't realize you get less glide though, is that the tradeoff?

Also curious about FBV. Anybody know a shop that does these in North Jersey/Rockland?
As you go to deeper hollow you get more "grip" for turns but you lose glide.

Ice Vault in Wayne. I called a few weeks ago and they said they had the machine in but weren't doing them yet, but someone on another message board said they got their skates done with the FBV a few days ago so I guess they've gotten it up and running.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
AlexK

Got the FBV sharpening at Ice Vault on Sat and skated at a stick and puck on Sunday at Palisades Mall.

Cant say i noticed much of a difference in glide at all but I think the ice was kinda soft, it was really humid out. Also - dont know how good of a job the kid did on them, i put a credit card up to the edge as a reference and I def coudln't see anything htat looked like the diagrams shown on the website. Looked almost uneven TBH. The edge hold felt pretty good, I'd say unchanged from the 1/2" i was skating on before.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Got the FBV sharpening at Ice Vault on Sat and skated at a stick and puck on Sunday at Palisades Mall.

Cant say i noticed much of a difference in glide at all but I think the ice was kinda soft, it was really humid out. Also - dont know how good of a job the kid did on them, i put a credit card up to the edge as a reference and I def coudln't see anything htat looked like the diagrams shown on the website. Looked almost uneven TBH. The edge hold felt pretty good, I'd say unchanged from the 1/2" i was skating on before.
What did you get? a 100/50 is about equal to a 1/2 in terms of bite.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

As a side note to this chattering rumble strip effect i got it a couple of time playing yesterday when i usually do not. I could not get to my regular skate guy and have nobody else but him do my skates so I used a handheld sharpener here.

My regular hollow is a 3/4" and I used a 1" honing stone so it was REALLY shallow but sharp. It chattered on the both legs open quick hard stops while grabbing the puck out of the corners.

So for me I get shatter with a shallow too hollow as well as one too deep. I did not expect that honestly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:56 AM
Roccosvan

I use 3/4 hollow as well, but i'm 6'2 220. In gerneral tems, the bigger and heavier you are the shallower your hollow should be.

Just remeber to also have your skates profiled properly because if they are f'd up with some crazy ass rocker you'll be spinning out every time and have to go sharper hollow to compensate.

Use a nice, flat profile like 9/10 and go to a 5/8 hollow as your starting point, then try 3/4 and if its too shallow for you go back to 5/8.

Last edited by Roccosvan: 03-18-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:15 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

With a deeper hollow, you'll get further into the ice and this is a problem with your front foot. To compensate, try to keep your front knee less bent, barely bent at all, and try to put more weight on the back foot, and this should solve it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:00 AM
ISWThunder

I haven't played Ice Hockey in about 10 years and I got back on the ice recently. I've never even thought about sharpening depth.

So I'm 6'1" about 245. I'm not real fast, more of a grinding forward.

From what I've read it seems like around 3/4 would be good. Is that shallow? And is 8/12 more hollow?

ISWThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:52 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISWThunder View Post
I haven't played Ice Hockey in about 10 years and I got back on the ice recently. I've never even thought about sharpening depth.

So I'm 6'1" about 245. I'm not real fast, more of a grinding forward.

From what I've read it seems like around 3/4 would be good. Is that shallow? And is 8/12 more hollow?
3/4 is on the shallower side, but it's all personal preference. You've just got to try different ones until you find what you like.

I'm not sure that you can do 2/3 (8/12). At least, I've never seen it, I've only seen hollow with denominators of 2 or 2 to a power (x/4, x/8, x/16, etc).

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:56 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I am new to skating so I have absolutely no idea how to get my skates sharpened. Any tips?

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
I am new to skating so I have absolutely no idea how to get my skates sharpened. Any tips?
Take them to the pro shop/sharpening booth at your local rink and tell them you are new to skating and ask for their suggestions. Start at 1/2" and work up or down from there.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote