HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maxwell Re-Assigned to Hamilton

Old
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I don't think that Maxwell will ever be a fan favorite. He play a very non-flashy and passive game. I still have hope for him to produce at the NHL level and that his game will be less passive but he will never be flashy. He did not played bad or good yesterday. He positioned himself well. I've seen him crash the net on 3vs2 and he look a lot bigger than last year.

Plekanec at the same age was producing the same or even less than Maxwell in the AHL. Should be fun to know the talent analysis of Plekanec in his first 2 years in the AHL. Maybe Montreal can compare the 2 played at the same age? I'm not saying that Maxwell is better or worse than Plekanec, young players are inconsistent and hard to judge. We need to be patient this time.
Pleks first year in Hamilton he was on likely the best AHL team I've ever seen, they were stacked top to bottom, but he still had a good year despite being on the 3rd line. The next year he led the team in scoring and imo was a big reason why Jozef Balej had such a good year (they were on the same line and Pleks was setting him up left and right from what I remember)

Pleks 3rd and final in the AHL he led the team in scoring again on what was a very average Bulldogs team. He was an AHL All Star and easily one of Hamiltons best players and most noticeable players imo.

Maxwell has been a good player in Hamilton but not a standout like Pleks, I don't think he has the same skill level that Pleks had while he was a Bulldog.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It could go either way. Suban might sudenly become very good, or he might be assigned to our new minor league team in the Suddan.

Patrietty might be coming around, but they already know they have an AMERICAN there, and it is not very paciorotic to favour non-Canadiens.
I lol'd, although Subban of the Sudan has a nice wring to it. HC Khartoum is pretty good too, they could call the club The Khartoum Famine (now that's not funny and I shouldn't laugh, but...)

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Maxwell back to Hamilton

Old
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Great, I still think he could become a 2nd line center in the NHL in 2-3 years but so far he's been invisible at this level.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Maxpac

Ole!!!!!!!!!!!! Ole! ole! ole!, ole! ole!

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Lapierre better wake up real quick because with Cammy and MAB coming back soon, he and Pyatt look to be the most susceptible for getting benched.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Great, I still think he could become a 2nd line center in the NHL in 2-3 years but so far he's been invisible at this level.
I haven't seen anything from him in his NHL callups to suggest he could be a 2nd center for us. He does have some nice hands, but I've always had a problem with the way he plays, too passive imo, so we'll have to see how he continues to develop.

This year with the Habs, 12-0-0-0 -2 6 pims
Last year with the Habs, 7-0-0-0 -1 2 pims

So 19 games, zero points, -3 and 8 pims to date.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I haven't seen anything from him in his NHL callups to suggest he could be a 2nd center for us. He does have some nice hands, but I've always had a problem with the way he plays, too passive imo, so we'll have to see how he continues to develop.

I saw him in the tampa game. Very passive as you suggest, but i think he just wants to keep his game simple more than anything else. I don't see him trying to be offensive, he was put on a 3rd line and kind of looks like he wants to learn and limit his mistakes. I still have faith in him being a #2 center but he'll need to be more involved in the play to do so.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:

Wow, those are some impressive numbers, I guess they are really giving him a look to see how he will fair at the NHL level. I have seen nothing in his game that leads me to believe he will be a regular NHLer, to weak and not enough jam.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Maxwell is only 21 years old; he will be back. Though I must admit that my opinion is mostly based on his solid 2008-09 pre seasons games!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Almost every prospect we callup showed something they could bring to the NHL during their tenure. White showed he can be a grit and agitator type, can play the PK, and that he has some hands to go along with it. Pyatt has shown that he's very quick with/without the puck which creates scoring chances, has a good cycling ability and can play the PK. Desharnais showed that he has very good vision in the offensive zone for passing, Trotter showed that he has some offensive skill with the puck. Subban showed he can maybe pull off translating his dynamic game to the NHL. Weber showed that he can be relatively poised with the puck, can make decent first passes, and has a great point shot. Carle showed he is not bad in the D zone and is actually closer to being NHL ready than a lot thought. Maxwell? Nothing, unless you count preseason games.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

The game was too fast for him to understand, he's a cerebral type player, and right now he has alot of time to catch up from all his injuries. In some years, yeah, perhaps he could become something pretty good, as he has the fundamentals, but he just has to understand the game but also to think faster, and most of all, react before thinking... I can't understand why we didn't brought a winger instead...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Fozz

Not impressed with Maxwell at all but, to his defense, he doesn't belong on a bottom 2 line. He simply doesn't bring anything in a checking role. Until there's a spot for him on a top-2 line, he should stay in the minors. Unfortunately, there might never be a spot for him on the top-2 lines in Montreal.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Maxwell is only 21 years old; he will be back. Though I must admit that my opinion is mostly based on his solid 2008-09 pre seasons games!
22 in 2 weeks. He's been good in the AHL but has shown very little in the NHL to date. Doesn't mean he won't be a good NHLer in time, just that from what he's shown us in the 19 games he's played over 2 seasons, it's hard to say he will be a regular for us down the road.

Granted that could change but the Habs have a number of interesting forward prospects that will be pushing each other for limited spots in the future. With Pyatt, Pacioretty, White, Maxwell, Desharnais, Trotter, Wyman, all getting some NHL games under their belt, and only so many spots open going forward most likely, it's going to be tough to stick. I didnt understand the callup as I would have thought White would be the guy and I still think Pyatt/White are further ahead of Maxwell in securing spots with the Habs in the future. Should be interesting to see how it pans out though. And then you have Leblanc, Kristo, perhaps Avtsin, and Palushaj working their way towards the NHL in say 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I saw him in the tampa game. Very passive as you suggest, but i think he just wants to keep his game simple more than anything else. I don't see him trying to be offensive, he was put on a 3rd line and kind of looks like he wants to learn and limit his mistakes. I still have faith in him being a #2 center but he'll need to be more involved in the play to do so.
That's a good point, he could be just keeping it simple, and from all the times I've seen him in Hamilton, he's got good skills with the puck for sure, but it is a concern that's he's not been able to do much of anything in the NHL in 19 games to date. I hope he can become a good player for us in time but I have had my doubts and continue to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
The game was too fast for him to understand, he's a cerebral type player, and right now he has alot of time to catch up from all his injuries. In some years, yeah, perhaps he could become something pretty good, as he has the fundamentals, but he just has to understand the game but also to think faster, and most of all, react before thinking... I can't understand why we didn't brought a winger instead...
He is a smart player and perhaps the game was too fast for him but I personally think his problem is that he doesn't get his nose dirty enough, you can't play scared and I don't know if that's the case, but that's the impression I have of him.

Hopefully he can build off his NHL callups and work on getting better in the future.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Maxwell was still with the team?

He was disapointing to say the least, perhaps he'd look better playing center but still his stint was lackluster. It doesn't seem like he was ''hungry'', he certainly did not seem to try too hard which isn't looking good for a rookie being called up (even terrible players often do good things in those circumstances).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Maxwell might possibly be the worst player (right now) calld up this year. That includes Wyman.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's like saying you dated the ugliest girl at Mrs.Universe

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
CanadienErrant*

Trotter and Desharnais are superior to him.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:24 PM
couris

He need to lock himself in a gym.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Patty Roy

Well i guess the 4 games proved our points...what the heck were the Habs thinking calling him up in the first place?

If it was painfully obvious to most of us that he is just not ready...why was it not to Gauthier?

Puzzling stuff...thankfully Maxwell is back where he belongs.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
HCH

I like Maxwell but I think others in the organization may have surpassed him in the eyes of management. With Desharnais and Engvist in the organization, Maxwell's days could be numbered.

The same thing happened with D'Agostini who fell behind Trotter and I think the same thing is happening with Weber who has fallen behind Subban.

I would look for both Maxwell and Weber being moved to an organization that is in rebuilding mode.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I like Maxwell but I think others in the organization may have surpassed him in the eyes of management. With Desharnais and Engvist in the organization, Maxwell's days could be numbered.

The same thing happened with D'Agostini who fell behind Trotter and I think the same thing is happening with Weber who has fallen behind Subban.

I would look for both Maxwell and Weber being moved to an organization that is in rebuilding mode.
I don't see how you figure this. I don't see how you can say "in the eyes of management" when maxwell was the one who just got called up. Not to mention, suppose we need to call up a 2nd line center due to long term injury. Do you honestly believe its desharnais? I don't. Also, Engvist hasn't proven anything in the NA game yet, relax with him.

Weber is still very much in the habs plans IMO. He can be our bergeron for the coming seasons.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Not impressed with Maxwell at all but, to his defense, he doesn't belong on a bottom 2 line. He simply doesn't bring anything in a checking role. Until there's a spot for him on a top-2 line, he should stay in the minors. Unfortunately, there might never be a spot for him on the top-2 lines in Montreal.
Well, we KNOW that Pyatt by the nature of his approach would do a better job on the 4th line than Maxwell, so if the coach STILL put Maxwell on the 4th and Pyatt on the 2nd, it means that Martin does not believe that Maxwell can handle the OFFENSIVE responsibilities as well as Pyatt at this time, and that says A LOT about where Maxwell stands within the organization right now.

Under the CBA, Maxwell has the rest of this year and one more full year with Guy Boucher before the club has to either keep him in the big leagues or expose him to waivers. Let's hope he progresses faster and farther than Chipchura, D'Agostini and Stewart did. He certainly had showed more offensive talent than those guys a couple of years ago.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

My impression from Carbo and Gainey at Maxwell's first Ricoh prospects tourney was that they really liked his vision and the potential for him to turn himself into a crafty 2-way guy. But to do that, I think there is still a bare minimum of intensity and willingness to get physical that is required. Moore, for example, has some skills, but he has figured out he needs to hustle himself in a defensive role sometimes to stick in the league. So far, Maxwell hasn't quite seemed to embrace the vision of his former mentors and organizational boosters in that respect.

He isn't going to play in the NHL on the basis of his decent perimeter-oriented offensive skills. But he hasn't realized that yet, because those skills are good enough to keep him in his comfort zone in the AHL.

Either he'll get it or he won't. I have reasonable faith that another year with Boucher is as good a way for him to get it as any.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't see how you figure this. I don't see how you can say "in the eyes of management" when maxwell was the one who just got called up. Not to mention, suppose we need to call up a 2nd line center due to long term injury. Do you honestly believe its desharnais? I don't. Also, Engvist hasn't proven anything in the NA game yet, relax with him.

Weber is still very much in the habs plans IMO. He can be our bergeron for the coming seasons.
The Habs do not necessarily call up the best player... they have been steadily rotating through the Hamilton roster. Maybe it's to evaluate several different players at the NHL level and maybe it is for some other reason. In any event, they just sent Maxwell down so maybe it didn't work out as well as expected.

As I said, I like Maxwell. I saw him play in junior and thought he had a lot of upside. All I am saying is that Montreal has an excess supply of centers who are not overly physical. Maxwell could be the odd man out.

As for Weber, if he is simply going to be another Bergeron why not just keep MAB. Personally I think Weber has the potential to be another Mark Streit (who is a lot better than Bergereon) but only time will tell. Once again, we run into the problem of too many players cut from the same cloth. Spacek and Gorges are both undersized and less than physical. Subban is an offensive defenseman and Markov is not a physical defenseman.

Nothing against Weber but which one of those four does he replace?

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote