HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#66: Bruins @ Flyers - March 11, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
1st goal: Krajicek pinches, Hartnell and Carter screw up, leads to a 3 on 1. Not Timonen's or Leighton's fault for hanging them out to dry.

2nd goal: 4 players collapse WAY too much, and leave Bruins players wide open to move right to center to left. No one there to try and stop the shot, and Bruins find the open man. Not Leighton.

3rd goal: If you want to argue rebounding ability of Leighton, that's fine. Coburn could have done something to clear it out. But Bergeron broke free from Parent and sat there with his thumb up his ass. If Parent kept Bergeron, no goal, and it's cleared out. Not Leighton.

4th goal: Timonen pinches to puck carrier, while a man's already on him, and leave Krajci wide open. Timonen, not Leighton.

5th goal: Bergeron undresses Pronger, Carle as a 2 on 1 to cover while backchecking, goes after puck, Sturm wide open up close. No goalie could have stopped that.

My tally:

0 goals are Leighton's/Boucher's fault.

5 goals due to ****** defensive work (being the ENTIRE TEAM).
Question is: all chances Flyers had but could not finish or did Rask simply outplayed us? Who is going to get credit and who is going to get blamed?

Now JSTAFF says... blame Flyers forwards that could not finish.

Flyers would be leading 3:1 after 1st if Boston had Leighton? Right?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:41 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Question is: all chances Flyers had but could not finish or did Rask simply outplayed us? Who is going to get credit and who is going to get blamed?

Now JSTAFF says... blame Flyers forwards that could not finish.

Flyers would be leading 3:1 after 1st if Boston had Leighton? Right?
Flyers forwards did not put the puck where it needed to be to get in the net. Rask put himself in the position to make the save. Who cares whos at fault?

I'm more concerned about giving up so many odd man rushes, leaving men open in front of the net, not backchecking, and turning the puck over.

You are bringing the goaltending into the equation again, everyone that watches hockey knows that Rask is better than Leighton and gives his team a better chance to win.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:50 AM
MCAKES

i agree with our cicilian friend

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Flyers forwards did not put the puck where it needed to be to get in the net. Rask put himself in the position to make the save. Who cares whos at fault?
Wtf do you mean who cares? You give credit to Rask who was excellent better then what we have and thats my ****ing point.
Quote:
I'm more concerned about giving up so many odd man rushes, leaving men open in front of the net, not backchecking, and turning the puck over.
Bruins, one of the better d-sive teams in the league(if I am not mistaken) gave up odd man rushes. You do not talk about it because we did not score and we did not score because A. They have good goaltending. B. Our forwards could not score.

Quote:
You are bringing the goaltending into the equation again, everyone that watches hockey knows that Rask is better than Leighton and gives his team a better chance to win.
Hold on a second.. You just said that Rask is better than Leighton and gives his team a better chance to win.

Quote:
It's about goaltending Homer.
and we have two borderline NHL backups in the net.
but you called my opinion idiotic because I said that it’s all about goaltending?

Old
03-12-2010, 09:52 AM
rayearth

That Pronger bashing thread on the main board is a ****ing joke.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Jester

Leighton wasn't at fault last night, the defensive breakdowns were plentiful and bad...and Rask was great on the other side. However, I remain amazed at Leighton's pathetic lateral recovery.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Rask didn't ONLY outplay us. Their defense did. This is one of the things that annoys the hell out of me, and it's why so many of my friends HATE to play defense...cause they never get credit.

Bruins D played great and stopped any good chances the Flyers had. Their job was to get the shots coming from areas that Rask can make easy saves with. And they succeeded.

It's the same reason the US beat Canada in the first game between them. Yes, Miller stood on his head, but 95% of his saves where from shots that he was lined up for...because the defense forced the Canadian offense into that situation. THAT is what makes a good defense. Not just stopping shots, but forcing the offense to mold to your will when they do take shots.

And I don't think you seem to understand this.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:

but you called my opinion idiotic because I said that it’s all about goaltending?
Your opinion is idiotic about THIS game since this is the GDT for the Bruins versus the Flyers if you think we lost this game because of Leighton.

Once again, this is a GDT for THIS GAME the LAST GAME played.

My lord you are a ****ing moron.

If you want to talk about how bad our goaltending is, please state it in one of the other 4 million threads about it. I'm talking about this game and that we did not lose it because of our goaltending.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
It's about goaltending Homer.

and we have two boarderline NHL backups in the net.
was my 1st of today before you opened your ****ing yap..

Old
03-12-2010, 10:06 AM
MCAKES

Quote:
Rask didn't ONLY outplay us. Their defense did. This is one of the things that annoys the hell out of me, and it's why so many of my friends HATE to play defense...cause they never get credit.
yo do you skate at Pro Tec or BSA or Aspen Ice or what man

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Jester

Quote:

Bruins D played great and stopped any good chances the Flyers had. Their job was to get the shots coming from areas that Rask can make easy saves with. And they succeeded.

It's the same reason the US beat Canada in the first game between them. Yes, Miller stood on his head, but 95% of his saves where from shots that he was lined up for...because the defense forced the Canadian offense into that situation. THAT is what makes a good defense. Not just stopping shots, but forcing the offense to mold to your will when they do take shots.

And I don't think you seem to understand this.
Bruins earned that win, and we played badly...but Rask also had some highlight reel saves when the game could have gone either direction. The glove saves on Asham and Gagne leap immediately to mind. The poke on Gagne was a good save, too. They also got fortunate on the Pronger shot that go cleared out right before it was going to end up in the net.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
So Flyers would be leading 3:1 after 1st period if Bruins had Leighton?

1PP goal by Carter, Asham shot would be a goal and gagne break away would be a goal too. Correct?

Please.. Just yes or no.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
kevinjd182

At least our next game is an easy opponent.......nope. Blackhawks.

kevinjd182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:50 AM
cupfailure713

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
That Pronger bashing thread on the main board is a ****ing joke.
i would ignore that thread.

if that move was made on someone else...say bartulis, the thread might not even exist. it was created because pronger is viewed by almost everyone to be a superior defenseman and he had a lapse of judgment in a game where his team was being outplayed.

plus he isn't use to seeing bergeron pull moves like that.

you see OV and malkin try that all the time. He has been good in shutting them down 90% of the time.

cupfailure713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Its not just D-men sir, its TEAM defense.

See: Detriot Red Wings 2008 Stanley Cup Winners.
See: Detriot Red Wings 2009 Stanley Cup Runner-ups.
Please.

Osgood is a good goalie. By far better than anyone we've had in the last decade.

(Note: If you're not bringing up this argument as a way of saying 'see? goalies don't matter,' then feel free to disregard this - but 10 times out of 10, that's what Flyers fans are getting at with this argument, so if I'm incorrectly assuming and putting words in your mouth, my bad.)

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:55 AM
jb**

Quote:
A good defense reduces the amount of chances. Goalie is the last line of defense. The more chances you have, the more likely some are going to get through. The defenses job is to prevent chances which in turn prevents goals. That's what JSTAFF is saying. Stop trying to pick words apart.

Also, there's a cannon of distance in between "chances" and "quality chances."
pick words aprat, ok chief. so if the flyers dont limit those chances they have a slim shot to win as their goalie isnt good enough to bail them out. As i said they need to play perfect d every game, that wont happen, for them to not give up 4 or more goals. so when the d has a bad game i guess it is too much to ask the goalie to make the save. didnt realize the goalie was the last line of defense, thanks for pointing thta out. The last line of this defesne isnt that good.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:57 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Please.

Osgood is a good goalie. By far better than anyone we've had in the last decade.

(Note: If you're not bringing up this argument as a way of saying 'see? goalies don't matter,' then feel free to disregard this - but 10 times out of 10, that's what Flyers fans are getting at with this argument, so if I'm incorrectly assuming and putting words in your mouth, my bad.)
I'm not solely talking about goaltending. Osgood was a mediocre goalie for both of those seasons but thats just a portion of my arguments. That team played as a team and played team defense.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Please.

I'm not sure that's really true... Osgood was pretty mediocre, and that was proven whenever he was outside of the protective womb known as the Detroit Red Wings roster.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not sure that's really true... Osgood was pretty mediocre, and that was proven whenever he was outside of the protective womb known as the Detroit Red Wings roster.
And who did we have in the net since 97 that was as good or was better then mediocre Osgood? If the answer is no one, then what word would you use to describe our goaltending?

Old
03-12-2010, 11:18 AM
jb**

Quote:
And who did we have in the net since 97 that was as good or was better then mediocre Osgood? If the answer is no one, then what word would you use to describe our goaltending?
checkmanek, then the fearless leader and his cronies ran him out of town.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:18 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Okay, maybe not by far better, but he's always very solid, especially in the playoffs. As good as that team may have been around him, he still had to come up with some great performances in all of those runs to the Cup (and Cup wins).

Also, when he wasn't with Detroit he was with some absolutely awful teams - St. Louis and NYI - and he was still pretty good except for one bad year:

2001-02 w/ NYI: 66 GP, 33 W and 22 L, 2.50 GAA and .910 S%
2002-03 (NYI and STL): 46 GP, 21 W and 17 L, 2.95 GAA and .892 S% (this year sucked).
2003-2004 (STL): 67 GP, 31 W and 25 L, 2.24 GAA and .910 S%.

He did pretty damn well for himself in 2 out of 3 years outside of that womb, if you ask me.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Okay, maybe not by far better, but he's always very solid, especially in the playoffs. As good as that team may have been around him, he still had to come up with some great performances in all of those runs to the Cup (and Cup wins).

Also, when he wasn't with Detroit he was with some absolutely awful teams - St. Louis and NYI - and he was still pretty good except for one bad year:

2002-03 (NYI and STL): 46 GP, 21 W and 17 L, 2.95 GAA and .892 S% (this year sucked).

He did pretty damn well for himself in 2 out of 3 years outside of that womb, if you ask me.
I wouldn't say that he was better then all of our goalies in the past decade. He played well in the playoffs behind a very good Detroit team a few times. Leighton and the Flyers this year are kind of proving that any good team with good team defense can make almost any goalie look like Brodeur in his prime. Bit of an exaggeration there, but you get my point.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
jb**

leighton has been pulled in what 2 of the last 4 or 5 games. As i said when the d doesnt play well in front of him he isnt capable nor has the talent to overcome a bad defensive game.

i start boucher tomorrow.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Jester

Quote:

2001-2 on a bad Buffalo team: .915 (15th ranked SVPCT was .907)
2002-3 on a bad Buffalo team: .908 (15th ranked SVPCT was .912)
2003-4 on a so-so Buffalo team: .913 (15th ranked SVPCT was .917 that year)

Old
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
checkmanek, then the fearless leader and his cronies ran him out of town.
Ah, Cechmanek ran himself out of town...and then out of the NHL.