HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Extension in works

Old
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Can this guy (Holmgren) be fired already before he ****s up next year. Seriously, what is Snider doing? I know the Sixers are a mess, but he better act before he has two terrible messes on his hands.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I don't hate Leighton but is this really necessary at this point?
I say he caves to demands and pays him 3 yrs - 4 million total

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Cleary84

He's a better backup than Boosh and he deserved a contract.

But we really need a starter.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:29 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Is Holmgren seriously afraid someone is going to try to poach Leighton? He was a waiver wire pickup. There aren't going to be teams lined up waiting for him to hit the open market.
While I understand what you mean, that was before Leights played one game with the Flyers. Since he came here he's been good.
He's not been spectacular, dominating or incredible, but he's not been brutal, bad or Vesa Toskala. He's been good. His rebound control is below average by a substantial margin, but all other aspects of his game are ... right! ... good.
As you, I'm pretty sure he's not the number one target of any team heading into free agency and (neither should he be the number one target for the Flyers) but Craig Anderson cashed in a 3 year deal paying him $1.8 mil a year. When you look at Leights stats you notice that as soon as he played more than just a handful of games he's been at least good. He's had one bad year in the AHL in which he played 40 games and had a SV% below .900, but for the most part he was very good in the AHL and in the NHL he had exactly 3 seasons (including this one) in which he played 19 or more season. In all of them he had a 0.900 SV% or (slightly) higher.

Sign him, get rid of Boucher and see if you can get A) an upgrade over Leights aka a proven starter [Vokoun, Halak (?), Price (?)] or B) a young goaltender with a bright future and lots of potential [Schneider(!), Harding, Enroth(?)].
*Didn't know where to put both Montreal goalie.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:31 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
He's a better backup than Boosh and he deserved a contract.

But we really need a starter.
The way he has played and is playing, I agree that he's fine as a backup. But who on earth scrambles to get a dime-a-dozen backup goalie signed? Besides our GM, I mean.

It makes no freakin' sense to anyone except Homer, I guess. It's like worrying that your 14th forward who is in the pressbox most nights might be attractive to some other team.

I know it's not news to anyone, but it's astounding to me that the man has no concept about budgeting and prioritizing whatsoever.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
The way he has played and is playing, I agree that he's fine as a backup. But who on earth scrambles to get a dime-a-dozen backup goalie signed? Besides our GM, I mean.

It makes no freakin' sense to anyone except Homer, I guess. It's like worrying that your 14th forward who is in the pressbox most nights might be attractive to some other team.

I know it's not news to anyone, but it's astounding to me that the man has no concept about budgeting and prioritizing whatsoever.
End of thread, Holmer is ****ing STUNNED

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I wouldn't have a problem with this if Boucher wasn't signed for next year. If they sign Leighton to a decent contract, and then dump Boucher...then go for it.

I have zero faith this is the actual plan.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:38 AM
infidelappel*

Ugh.

I don't see the point. Why press for this now?

Leighton has played better than Boucher (but I still maintain that if Bouche ever got a chance to play, he might be as solid or possibly better), but we're stuck with Bouche for next year. As some have pointed out, waiving him next year eats one of our 50 contracts, and I'll bet you anything Homer puts him on re-entry to repay him for his dedication and service, and then wastes more cap.

I'll also bet you anything that he's signing Leighton to be our starter because - after all - his record is just SO GOOD (), and won't even bother shopping for a legitimate long-term solution.

I can just see the press conference now.

"We think Michael is a very solid goaltender, and he's stepped in and done a great job for us this year. We think he has the potential to solidify the position for us over the next few years." As he hands over that 3 year, $2-3m per contract....

I hate this organization's approach to goalies.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:45 AM
CantSeeColors

I wouldn't worry about the 50 contract thing. There are like 15 minor leaguers expiring after this season, probably half of which have no shot at coming back. Should be plenty of flexibility there.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:46 AM
cupfailure713

i officially give up.

cupfailure713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
CptCannon

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I wouldn't worry about the 50 contract thing. There are like 15 minor leaguers expiring after this season, probably half of which have no shot at coming back. Should be plenty of flexibility there.
Yes, but we're presumably going to be signing some of them, and having CHL guys showing up (Bodrov will be a contract next year), etc. If Leighton is just going to be your backup next year, I would have liked to see them figure out Boucher first.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
infidelappel*

Quote:
Okay, fair enough....but it's still annoying to see wasted assets in general.

And I'm still terrified that he's just going to go into the summer saying "Leighton's our guy" and sit on his hands while better goalies change hands for prices we would have been able to afford.

Old
Terence Peterman

Don't worry guys, he's just getting a head start on ****ing our 2010-11 cap in the ass without lube.

He probably heard his ass is going to be out on the streets after the season, so he just wants to make it easier for the next guy.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Don't worry guys, he's just getting a head start on ****ing our 2010-11 cap in the ass without lube.

He probably heard his ass is going to be out on the streets after the season, so he just wants to make it easier for the next guy.
Hahaha. He's going to make sure he totally handcuffs his successor, so that his replacement appears equally inadequate and he can just be like "SEE?! SEE? I did do a good job, compared to this clown."

Old
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes, but we're presumably going to be signing some of them, and having CHL guys showing up (Bodrov will be a contract next year), etc. If Leighton is just going to be your backup next year, I would have liked to see them figure out Boucher first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Okay, fair enough....but it's still annoying to see wasted assets in general.

And I'm still terrified that he's just going to go into the summer saying "Leighton's our guy" and sit on his hands while better goalies change hands for prices we would have been able to afford.
Hey, I'm not saying I like this move. Makes no sense not to wait and see how he fares the rest of the season. Just saying that we actually have some flexibility with the 50 contract max this year. I don't have exact numbers, but there weren't anywhere near as many guys coming off the books last year.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Hey, I'm not saying I like this move. Makes no sense not to wait and see how he fares the rest of the season. Just saying that we actually have some flexibility with the 50 contract max this year. I don't have exact numbers, but there weren't anywhere near as many guys coming off the books last year.
Right, but that doesn't mean we're not going to want the contract slot that one of these two goalies will be holding in the event we sign someone else to be a starter.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
CptCannon

Well, guys, what can you do?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Well, guys, what can you do?
Nothing. We have a goalie.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
BrindamoursNose

I really doubt Homer will sign the guy for a while.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
jb**

Quote:
Is Holmgren seriously afraid someone is going to try to poach Leighton? He was a waiver wire pickup. There aren't going to be teams lined up waiting for him to hit the open market.
There should be no urgency at all to want to sign him. None. He wants a big raise over his 600k, well that big raise would be about 800k to be the back up assuming they dump boucher, which they will and include a prospect or pick to boot. The piece said his agent wants to talk to the flyers so not sure it is really from the flyers end. It shouldnt be. If so this is why this orgiization will not win a cup anytime soon. You just know shooter will do something dumb.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Garbage Goal

I came in here to post pretty much everything Jester said so...yeah. No reason at all to do this and it just makes me not like Homer even more. Makes me even more pissed off after last nights 5-1 beating. This organization sometimes is just nothing but one huge face-palm.

No reason at all to work one out now just because, even if you do believe that we should sign Leighton for next year (which I don't), you should get rid of Boosh first and sign Leighton as your backup for a really cheap contract.

As it is now, I'm just massively afraid that Holmgren is going to be as cheap as he can at the goalie position and have Leighton as our starter next year with possibly Boosh backing him up. Makes zero sense whatsoever to any sane fan, but I could very easily see Holmgren doing it. Sometimes stats are all that matters to people.

The prospect of having Leighton as our starter next year terrifies me. I wouldn't even like him as a backup (although I would be able to swallow it), let alone as our fricking starter.

=(

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

You'd figure Holmgren would learn that one good season does not lead to a fat contract (see Jones, Randy). Instead, Holmgren is going to make the same mistake, yet again, and when Leighton stinks up the joint next year (and if you look at his track record, we should see him come down to earth very shortly), we'll all be screaming again about how Holmgren has yet another wasted case on his hands. I never wish this upon anyone, but will someone in that organization wake up and fire this man.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I want to see what the deal is first. As for Boucher, once Leighton is signed, he knows he can buy a house in Glens Falls.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
As long it's as a backup goalie it's fine

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote