HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Warriors: Clark Or Tocchet

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Yes he was.

and what year would that have been ???

Old
01-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Wendel Clark

i think my name says it all

Old
01-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Chili

Wendel Clark had more talent in my opinion but Rick Tocchet accomplished more.

Both players wore down because of the style they played but Tocchet was able to play over 1100 games.

I'd give a slight edge to Tocchet but when Wendel was healthy he could be awesome.

Old
01-31-2005, 10:33 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Wendel Clark had more talent in my opinion but Rick Tocchet accomplished more.

Both players wore down because of the style they played but Tocchet was able to play over 1100 games.

I'd give a slight edge to Tocchet but when Wendel was healthy he could be awesome.
I'd disagree about Clark having more talent. Clark had a better shot than Tocchet, but Tocchet was better with the puck on his stick.

Old
01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'd disagree about Clark having more talent. Clark had a better shot than Tocchet, but Tocchet was better with the puck on his stick.
I got to watch alot of both of them and when he was on his game, Clark was a dominant player. Bodies would be flying and he was the most dangerous of the Leafs on alot of nights. Sadly though, alot of his games in the second half of his career were at less than 100% health.

Tocchet was the better fighter and did many of the same things that Clark did just as well. But I seldom saw him raise his game to the level Clark did at his peak.

That's my view anyway. There's no question though, who had the better overall career and that's why I'd give the edge to Tocchet.

Old
01-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
I never actually seen either play (seen Tocchet play but he was way way past his prime so that doesn't count) but from what I hear, I would take Tocchet because of his effectiveness and longetivity. However, I don't doubt that Clark is the better player of the two and was the better player in his prime. However, because Clark's injuries, I think it is an easy choice for most people to take Tocchet.
That was the sad part about Clark. He wore down because he never took a night off (not to say Tocchet did...). Wendel was ridiculously intense when he played his game. But when he couldn't play rough and tumble, he was a very, very different player, and much less effective.

Old
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
I got to watch alot of both of them and when he was on his game, Clark was a dominant player. Bodies would be flying and he was the most dangerous of the Leafs on alot of nights. Sadly though, alot of his games in the second half of his career were at less than 100% health.

Tocchet was the better fighter and did many of the same things that Clark did just as well. But I seldom saw him raise his game to the level Clark did at his peak.

That's my view anyway. There's no question though, who had the better overall career and that's why I'd give the edge to Tocchet.
It's a bit like the Perreault/Clarke arguement. Both great players, one had more flash and dash to his game. The day after a game you'd talk about a fight or big hit Clark had or a wrist shot that looked like it would go thru the back of the net. Tocchet got the same stuff done, just not with as much flair. A wrist shot off a breakaway counts for 1 just like a banged in rebound. I'd take Tocchet, though if Clark played in Mtl. he'd have been loved in La Belle Province.

Old
01-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
It's a bit like the Perreault/Clarke arguement. Both great players, one had more flash and dash to his game. The day after a game you'd talk about a fight or big hit Clark had or a wrist shot that looked like it would go thru the back of the net. Tocchet got the same stuff done, just not with as much flair. A wrist shot off a breakaway counts for 1 just like a banged in rebound. I'd take Tocchet, though if Clark played in Mtl. he'd have been loved in La Belle Province.
If Clark played anywhere he'd be loved.

EDIT: Oh god...I feel sick...I spelt his name wrong...

Last edited by Charge_Seven: 01-31-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old
02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Wendel.

My bias reasoning: He embodies everything I want the Leafs to be. Tough, talented players.
And he worked his ass off,as did Tocchet.

How about having them both in their prime!!!

Old
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
If Clark played anywhere he'd be loved.

EDIT: Oh god...I feel sick...I spelt his name wrong...
A 1000 hail Wendels would seem in order.

Old
02-03-2005, 04:26 PM
c-carp

1000 hails for both of them I think they are players that the game needs more of when we have a game to watch again they both knew no other way to play then balls out.

Old
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
1000 hails for both of them I think they are players that the game needs more of when we have a game to watch again they both knew no other way to play then balls out.
I'm down with that.

Old
02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
BuppY

Clark!!

Old
02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
clefty
What?

R. Tocchet

Old
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Tocchet is likely the most underrated power forward of all time and Clark is the most overrated. This isn't even close. Tocchet by a mile. Tocchet did everthing, better than Clark.

Clark was great on the forcheck and was a pretty good goalscorer but was a hideous puckhandler and passer and extremely poor in his own end. I don't know how many times I saw Clark hold on to the puck for too long leading to a turnover and a odd man rush for the opposition.

I personally have some insider information on Clark that would make anybody question whether he was a warrior. Since I don't have a link and can't prove it, I won't post it, but feel free to PM me if you're interested. And it isn't the rumor regarding his sexual orientation.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 02-03-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old
02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I personally have some insider information on Clark that would make anybody question whether he was a warrior. Since I don't have a link and can't prove it, I won't post it, but feel free to PM me if you're interested. And it isn't the rumor regarding his sexual orientation.
I tried PMing you but it said you've reached your PM quota or something similar.

Old
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
No Quarter

Tocchet is my alltime favorite player.
I remember back in like 93 or 94 when Brad May was a youngster kicken everyones ass, he squared off with Tocchet, and Rick taught him a serious lesson of not to "F"
with the old grissled veteran.
That was classic Rick Tocchet.

Old
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Pulfy14

Clarke

Old
02-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I'll take Wendel.

Awesome shot, great fighter, tough as they come.

Old
02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Christ

I would choose Clark. When he was healthy this guy was simply devastating to the opposition. No disrespect to Tocket, whom I am also a fan of, but I would take a healthy Clark over Tocket any game of the week.

Old
02-04-2005, 03:55 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Tocchet is likely the most underrated power forward of all time and Clark is the most overrated. This isn't even close. Tocchet by a mile. Tocchet did everthing, better than Clark.

Clark was great on the forcheck and was a pretty good goalscorer but was a hideous puckhandler and passer and extremely poor in his own end. I don't know how many times I saw Clark hold on to the puck for too long leading to a turnover and a odd man rush for the opposition.

Suprising that you say it isnt even close.

Old
02-04-2005, 04:24 PM
jiggs 10

I was never a fan of either of these two, but I think Tocchet was the better player over the longer period of time. Clark could shoot and run around like a house-leaguer causing trouble, but that's about it. Tocchet played a very solid Canadian up-and-down-the-wing-go-to-the-net kind of game, and took no guff from anyone. I guess there's something to be said for players like that. I prefer the flashy players, but you need a few guys like Tocchet, too.

Old
02-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Wendel Clark.

Old
02-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Suprising that you say it isnt even close.
The Legend of Wendel Clark being a star and a warrior is largely a creation of the Toronto Media. He couldn't hold the jockstrap of guys like Tonnelli, Neely, Tocchet, Kerr and Gillies.

Old
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
c-carp

Quote:
The Legend of Wendel Clark being a star and a warrior is largely a creation of the Toronto Media. He couldn't hold the jockstrap of guys like Tonnelli, Neely, Tocchet, Kerr and Gillies.
I saw him quite a bit and would put him equal or above everyone you listed except Neely. But fair enough.

Closed Thread