HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Warriors: Clark Or Tocchet

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
  #26
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Yes he was.

and what year would that have been ???

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 10:17 AM
  #27
Wendel Clark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
i think my name says it all

Wendel Clark is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 10:31 AM
  #28
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
Wendel Clark had more talent in my opinion but Rick Tocchet accomplished more.

Both players wore down because of the style they played but Tocchet was able to play over 1100 games.

I'd give a slight edge to Tocchet but when Wendel was healthy he could be awesome.

Chili is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 10:33 AM
  #29
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Wendel Clark had more talent in my opinion but Rick Tocchet accomplished more.

Both players wore down because of the style they played but Tocchet was able to play over 1100 games.

I'd give a slight edge to Tocchet but when Wendel was healthy he could be awesome.
I'd disagree about Clark having more talent. Clark had a better shot than Tocchet, but Tocchet was better with the puck on his stick.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
  #30
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'd disagree about Clark having more talent. Clark had a better shot than Tocchet, but Tocchet was better with the puck on his stick.
I got to watch alot of both of them and when he was on his game, Clark was a dominant player. Bodies would be flying and he was the most dangerous of the Leafs on alot of nights. Sadly though, alot of his games in the second half of his career were at less than 100% health.

Tocchet was the better fighter and did many of the same things that Clark did just as well. But I seldom saw him raise his game to the level Clark did at his peak.

That's my view anyway. There's no question though, who had the better overall career and that's why I'd give the edge to Tocchet.

Chili is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 11:52 AM
  #31
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
I never actually seen either play (seen Tocchet play but he was way way past his prime so that doesn't count) but from what I hear, I would take Tocchet because of his effectiveness and longetivity. However, I don't doubt that Clark is the better player of the two and was the better player in his prime. However, because Clark's injuries, I think it is an easy choice for most people to take Tocchet.
That was the sad part about Clark. He wore down because he never took a night off (not to say Tocchet did...). Wendel was ridiculously intense when he played his game. But when he couldn't play rough and tumble, he was a very, very different player, and much less effective.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
  #32
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
I got to watch alot of both of them and when he was on his game, Clark was a dominant player. Bodies would be flying and he was the most dangerous of the Leafs on alot of nights. Sadly though, alot of his games in the second half of his career were at less than 100% health.

Tocchet was the better fighter and did many of the same things that Clark did just as well. But I seldom saw him raise his game to the level Clark did at his peak.

That's my view anyway. There's no question though, who had the better overall career and that's why I'd give the edge to Tocchet.
It's a bit like the Perreault/Clarke arguement. Both great players, one had more flash and dash to his game. The day after a game you'd talk about a fight or big hit Clark had or a wrist shot that looked like it would go thru the back of the net. Tocchet got the same stuff done, just not with as much flair. A wrist shot off a breakaway counts for 1 just like a banged in rebound. I'd take Tocchet, though if Clark played in Mtl. he'd have been loved in La Belle Province.

mcphee is offline  
Old
01-31-2005, 01:23 PM
  #33
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
It's a bit like the Perreault/Clarke arguement. Both great players, one had more flash and dash to his game. The day after a game you'd talk about a fight or big hit Clark had or a wrist shot that looked like it would go thru the back of the net. Tocchet got the same stuff done, just not with as much flair. A wrist shot off a breakaway counts for 1 just like a banged in rebound. I'd take Tocchet, though if Clark played in Mtl. he'd have been loved in La Belle Province.
If Clark played anywhere he'd be loved.

EDIT: Oh god...I feel sick...I spelt his name wrong...


Last edited by Charge_Seven: 01-31-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
  #34
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Wendel.

My bias reasoning: He embodies everything I want the Leafs to be. Tough, talented players.
And he worked his ass off,as did Tocchet.

How about having them both in their prime!!!

leaflover is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
  #35
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
If Clark played anywhere he'd be loved.

EDIT: Oh god...I feel sick...I spelt his name wrong...
A 1000 hail Wendels would seem in order.

leaflover is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 04:26 PM
  #36
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
1000 hails for both of them I think they are players that the game needs more of when we have a game to watch again they both knew no other way to play then balls out.

c-carp is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
  #37
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
1000 hails for both of them I think they are players that the game needs more of when we have a game to watch again they both knew no other way to play then balls out.
I'm down with that.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
  #38
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,158
vCash: 500
Clark!!

BuppY is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
  #39
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,159
vCash: 500
R. Tocchet

clefty is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
  #40
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Tocchet is likely the most underrated power forward of all time and Clark is the most overrated. This isn't even close. Tocchet by a mile. Tocchet did everthing, better than Clark.

Clark was great on the forcheck and was a pretty good goalscorer but was a hideous puckhandler and passer and extremely poor in his own end. I don't know how many times I saw Clark hold on to the puck for too long leading to a turnover and a odd man rush for the opposition.

I personally have some insider information on Clark that would make anybody question whether he was a warrior. Since I don't have a link and can't prove it, I won't post it, but feel free to PM me if you're interested. And it isn't the rumor regarding his sexual orientation.


Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 02-03-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
  #41
Sebastien Centomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I personally have some insider information on Clark that would make anybody question whether he was a warrior. Since I don't have a link and can't prove it, I won't post it, but feel free to PM me if you're interested. And it isn't the rumor regarding his sexual orientation.
I tried PMing you but it said you've reached your PM quota or something similar.

Sebastien Centomo is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
  #42
No Quarter
Registered User
 
No Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Turtle Creek PA.
Posts: 11,280
vCash: 500
Tocchet is my alltime favorite player.
I remember back in like 93 or 94 when Brad May was a youngster kicken everyones ass, he squared off with Tocchet, and Rick taught him a serious lesson of not to "F"
with the old grissled veteran.
That was classic Rick Tocchet.

No Quarter is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
  #43
Pulfy14
Registered User
 
Pulfy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Clarke

Pulfy14 is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 07:22 PM
  #44
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,487
vCash: 500
I'll take Wendel.

Awesome shot, great fighter, tough as they come.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
  #45
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,739
vCash: 500
I would choose Clark. When he was healthy this guy was simply devastating to the opposition. No disrespect to Tocket, whom I am also a fan of, but I would take a healthy Clark over Tocket any game of the week.

Christ is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 03:55 PM
  #46
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Tocchet is likely the most underrated power forward of all time and Clark is the most overrated. This isn't even close. Tocchet by a mile. Tocchet did everthing, better than Clark.

Clark was great on the forcheck and was a pretty good goalscorer but was a hideous puckhandler and passer and extremely poor in his own end. I don't know how many times I saw Clark hold on to the puck for too long leading to a turnover and a odd man rush for the opposition.

I personally have some insider information on Clark that would make anybody question whether he was a warrior. Since I don't have a link and can't prove it, I won't post it, but feel free to PM me if you're interested. And it isn't the rumor regarding his sexual orientation.

Suprising that you say it isnt even close.

c-carp is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 04:24 PM
  #47
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
I was never a fan of either of these two, but I think Tocchet was the better player over the longer period of time. Clark could shoot and run around like a house-leaguer causing trouble, but that's about it. Tocchet played a very solid Canadian up-and-down-the-wing-go-to-the-net kind of game, and took no guff from anyone. I guess there's something to be said for players like that. I prefer the flashy players, but you need a few guys like Tocchet, too.

jiggs 10 is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 04:32 PM
  #48
Accord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Wendel Clark.

Accord is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 04:36 PM
  #49
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Suprising that you say it isnt even close.
The Legend of Wendel Clark being a star and a warrior is largely a creation of the Toronto Media. He couldn't hold the jockstrap of guys like Tonnelli, Neely, Tocchet, Kerr and Gillies.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
  #50
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
The Legend of Wendel Clark being a star and a warrior is largely a creation of the Toronto Media. He couldn't hold the jockstrap of guys like Tonnelli, Neely, Tocchet, Kerr and Gillies.
I saw him quite a bit and would put him equal or above everyone you listed except Neely. But fair enough.

c-carp is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.