HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The past 5 years Biggest Lightning Busts

View Poll Results: Which player was the biggest bust?
Marc Denis 20 64.52%
Mike Smith 2 6.45%
Alex Tanguay 4 12.90%
Radim Vrbata 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
kinggelato

vCash: 500
The past 5 years Biggest Lightning Busts

We have had our share of free agent and even trade busts. Which do you feel was the biggest.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:19 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Melrose
Svitov
Alexeev
Trading top 5 picks in back to back drafts for Kevin Weekes and Dan Cloutier.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:27 PM
kinggelato

I picked Denis, that trade depleted our offense and the fact that Marc Denis isn't even playing hockey anymore says that it just wasn't the situation he was put in. I wouldn't call Smith a bust yet but he is definately borderline at this moment, especially for what we gave up to get him.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
sonny side up

in the last 5? Denis takes the cake of the people you listed.. Melrose for the lose though.

Denis never lived up to do ANYTHING. He was beat out by a rookie and HOLMQVIST!!! Cmon, if that isnt bad, I dunno what it.

Smith started out great but thanks to two concussions, he hasnt been the same. I will give him a pass on this one because of those.

Tanguay is trying, but just can't seem to grasp this whole "SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK!" thing. I think if we resign him next year and have a different coach, he will do fine.

Vrbata was an interesting situation. I think the whole Melrose thing ****ed him over and if he played with Toc from the beginning (or a real coach) we would have been fine with him.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
gobolt7

You had me until this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
Tanguay is trying, but just can't seem to grasp this whole "SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK!" thing. I think if we resign him next year and have a different coach, he will do fine.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:41 PM
TBLHoser

Write in vote: Rick Dudley or perhaps it's Dudley-ov?

then Denis.....

Old
03-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Hockeyfan02

Denis by far. He was expected to solve the team's goaltending issues for the foreseeable future and get the team back in contention. Smith was a hope he would develop in to a #1, Tanguay and Vrbata were expected to be second line help not major pieces. I may be going a little far in saying this, but the Denis trade set the franchise back a few years. If he had reached expectations, this franchise is drastically different right now.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:22 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post

Before the trade deadline I would have thought your crazy, no way we resign him. We really would have lost nothing by trading him for anything. Since he didnt go anywhere I dont think there was any league interest in him. So if he likes it here, I think he could be had for dirt cheap. I still doubt we resign him because if we did, it would probably be in the role of a 7th FWD which I doubt he would want to do.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:26 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Denis by far. He was expected to solve the team's goaltending issues for the foreseeable future and get the team back in contention. .
I agree, yet at the same time we seem to be at the crossroads of the same exact situation with Mike Smith. We lose Nitty so where does that leave us next year if Smith doesnt step up.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:41 AM
sonny side up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
You had me until this:
I can dream.. right? haha. I mean I know this is the Lightning and all but I can still hope something positive can happen with this guy.. I am a HUGE Avalanche fan as well (I used to follow them a lot until I moved to Tampa, then I actually had a "real" hockey team to root for, **** the Bruins (lived in MA) and Trashers (lived in GA).. but Colorado is still up there on my list) and I always liked Tanguay up in Denver, and when he got traded, I was devastated just like he was. I always had high hopes for the guy and I think he can get back there.. I really think that if we had the right coach who would put the right guys on the right lines, this team would be AMAZING..

Next year, if Tanguay is back, I think we need the French Connection. I dont get why Toc never stayed with this. Marty can make any paring look good. Look what Marty did for Prospal and Lecavalier... I think that Stammer can stand on his own now with Malone helping him down on the 2nd line. I know it would be tough to take Marty from Stammer but Vinny needs Marty more.. and the new French Connection could be so sick WITH THE RIGHT COACHING.. not Toc cause he's a retard.

Another thing. With Tanguay being such a passer, why doesnt he end up playing with someone like Stammer. Tanguay was at his best when playing with Foppa/Sakic (amazing all around) and Hejduk (someone who can shoot). It's almost like we could have the same thing with Stammer (playing Hejduk) and Marty (playing Foppa).

I think a lines like
Tanguay - Stammer/Vinny - Marty
Downie - Vinny/Stammer - Malone
would be awesome. We just need a coach.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:42 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

I'll say Vrbata. Denis was definetly a big bust, but he played ok for a few games. Vrbata gave us absolutely nothing.

Not sure why Smith is on the list.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:50 AM
CSampson

I picked Tanguay cause I ****ing hate him at the moment. I saw Denis at the airport once and wanted to go up and kick him in the balls for being such a loser.

Old
03-12-2010, 04:22 AM
garmonbozia

I must admit that I'm half surprised neither Richards nor Lecavalier are in the list considering how much griping goes on over pay vs. production.

Because you limited it to players I have to vote Denis, just an overall more detrimental move than the others IMO.

If we're allowed to look at a bit broader scope I'd have to vote for Melrose. Two pump chump who couldn't get out of the gates and still gets to collect his check? Ugh, what a waste of time and money.

Old
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Denis

by far.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:11 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
I must admit that I'm half surprised neither Richards nor Lecavalier are in the list considering how much griping goes on over pay vs. production.
Someone would have to be crazy or have the IQ of Dim Tebow to consider a guy having an off year but still getting 60 pts 3/4 thru the season a bust. I wasn't going to be that crazy person.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 476
Denis
the amount of hype that they built of for him might have put too much pressure on him but at the same time there is no excuse for how he played.

I do not think Smith should be considered a bust just yet. He played great when he first arrived and now with the post-post-cuncussion he has not been the same.

Old
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I'm also surprised to see Smith on the list. He didn't really have a whole lot of hype attached to him coming in. His good play was sort of unexpected.

In hindsight, I don't think the concussions have had a whole lot to do with it. It just wasn't as apparent last year, as the expectations were low, but Smith is not clutch. He's not a bad goalie by any stretch, but he's not a guy I think the Lightning could win the cup with.

The amount of late goals he gave up in the games before Niitty took the helm is indicative of his lack of clutch. As soon as something is on the line, he can't step up. It's the same as it was when he was playing 'great', but the shots he should have stopped, were being blamed on Marek Malik.

I think we all thought Melrose was at least a boom/bust situation.

Denis.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:16 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Mike Smith having a bad year doesn't make him a bust, FYI, but there is lingering worry about his concussions.

Denis has to be the biggest in recent memory. We gave up Modin who was fantastic for us and got... Denis (who is still on the payroll). Huzzah.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Only thing that makes the Denis trade not sting as much was that Freddy never did much in CBJ because of injuries. Denis was ****ing terrible. I liked Holmqvist for the sole reason he gave us a reason to bench Denis. Torts was about ready to tear Denis' head off at one point or another.

Closed Thread