HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Sather or Torts gett fired when we don't make the playoffs

Old
03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
huh? you wouldn't want that? if you're going to fail, might as well fail hard?
There's a reward for failing hard in sports. There is little for failing "soft."

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think we'd see significantly better results if Renney were brought in for the final 15.
I agree. A win or two, maybe, but the problem is with the team ... as it has been since before Sather took the reins.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Sather isn't going anywhere and neither is Torts.

We can expect to see the Sather "Rebuild" over the summer like we do every year.

Players will leave,players will come in,players will get contracts that will having us pulling our hair out.It's the same thing every year.

It's Ground Hog Day with Sather playing the Bill Murray part.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I love how people seem to think Wade Redden is the ultimate problem with this team. Like getting rid of him will fix everything.
He and his 6.5 mil annual cap hit is one of the biggest issues with this team right now. That 6.5 mil is preventing us from picking up a top pairing defenseman. To make matters worse, Redden plays like a 3rd pairing/AHL defenseman these days making 1st pairing all-star money. It's Sather's fault for giving him the contract, but it's Redden's fault for not stepping up to EARN his salary or at least pretend like he gives a ****.

The other major problem is Drury's 7.05 million annual cap hit which is preventing us from picking up some top line forward(s) that can supplement Gaborik's production.

Eliminate those two players and you free up almost 14 million dollars in salary. Think of who/what you can get with that money, and what our team needs. We'd be in a completely different situation if 24% of our salary cap wasn't tied up in two grossly underperforming veteran players.

Add Roszival to the mix (despite him being slightly better lately), and you got 18.55/56.8 or ~33% of our cap space allocated to mediocrity. And people wonder why the Rangers are mired in mediocrity when 1/3 of the cap is blown on these losers.

Last edited by Carl Hagelins Flow: 03-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Hollywood163

Saw this on another board..Thought you guys might find it interesting.

http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN

Quote:
FisolaNYDN

Ran into Pat Riley @ LGA. Says he's headed to Big East. A secret meeting with J. Dolan sounds more interesting. I'm going with the latter 42 minutes ago via mobile web

Also saw Blues GM John Davidson, the former Ranger. Maybe he's meeting Dolan. Maybe I'm the only one not meeting with Dolan 38 minutes ago via mobile web
Dolan maybe having a meeting with JD??

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post

I think you are reading far too much into some Twitter BS.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
He and his 6.5 mil annual cap hit is one of the biggest issues with this team right now. That 6.5 mil is preventing us from picking up a top pairing defenseman. To make matters worse, Redden plays like a 3rd pairing/AHL defenseman these days making 1st pairing all-star money. It's Sather's fault for giving him the contract, but it's Redden's fault for not stepping up to EARN his salary or at least pretend like he gives a ****.

The other major problem is Drury's 7.05 million annual cap hit which is preventing us from picking up some top line forward(s) that can supplement Gaborik's production.

Eliminate those two players and you free up almost 14 million dollars in salary. Think of who/what you can get with that money, and what our team needs. We'd be in a completely different situation if 24% of our salary cap wasn't tied up in two grossly underperforming veteran players.

Add Roszival to the mix (despite him being slightly better lately), and you got 18.55/56.8 or ~33% of our cap space allocated to mediocrity. And people wonder why the Rangers are mired in mediocrity when 1/3 of the cap is blown on these losers.
This is the best post ever.

Go to the best teams in the league, how many bad contracts are on the NHL roster.

Washington got rid of Nylander
Pittsburgh has none.

Rangers have 3 bad contracts. Its a testament to there system that they have done this well

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

Can we just post this as a response to all questions about the Rangers future? This season and beyond...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Rangers have 3 bad contracts. Its a testament to there system that they have done this well
I'd argue it's a testament to their goaltender. Replace Lundqvist with 2/3 of this league's goalies, and their system means nothing.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:42 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I think you are reading far too much into some Twitter BS.
Blues played the Islanders in LI last night. Mystery solved.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
This is the best post ever.

Go to the best teams in the league, how many bad contracts are on the NHL roster.

Washington got rid of Nylander
Pittsburgh has none.

Meaning farm system or game play system? If its the latter the dont have one. And as a previous poster said Lundqvist is the reason we sniffing playoffs. And Gaborik to a lesser extent.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post

Im not sure but wouldn't that be tampering?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I don't disagree with the notion of this, but who exactly are they preventing us from acquiring? We landed the best offensive talent in last year's UFA class, and while we didn't get the 'best' d-man available, he never really never made it to free agency to begin with as Calgary traded for his rights.

Yes, they're horrible contracts. Yes, I want them gone asap; but let's not pretend that we had numerous opportunities to acquire high end talent and couldn't because of Redden, Drury, and Rozsival and their contracts.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
LamoTheKid

I'm not trolling, but since Redden is such a hot topic in this thread I just found this and I'm laughing my butt off (I'm also delerious from working on servers all day at work).

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't disagree with the notion of this, but who exactly are they preventing us from acquiring? We landed the best offensive talent in last year's UFA class, and while we didn't get the 'best' d-man available, he never really never made it to free agency to begin with as Calgary traded for his rights.

Yes, they're horrible contracts. Yes, I want them gone asap; but let's not pretend that we had numerous opportunities to acquire high end talent and couldn't because of Redden, Drury, and Rozsival and their contracts.
Stop lumping him in with Redden man, he is not even close to being a rip off like that guy is. Rozy earns most of his money and if he is overpaid it's really not by much. Most vet D make 3-4 that have less talent than Rozy. #6 and 23 are killing us cap wise but not Rozsival. We do need to keep atleast one veteran on the blueline and as a long time Ranger I don't mind having Rozy stick around.

My only real complaint about Rozy is his super slow starts to the season. Once he gets it going he is a top 4 no doubt but he needs to start showing up in October not December.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I'm not trolling, but since Redden is such a hot topic in this thread I just found this and I'm laughing my butt off (I'm also delerious from working on servers all day at work).

Would have been better if it was a retirement home.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Stop lumping him in with Redden man, he is not even close to being a rip off like that guy is. Rozy earns most of his money and if he is overpaid it's really not by much. Most vet D make 3-4 that have less talent than Rozy. #6 and 23 are killing us cap wise but not Rozsival. We do need to keep atleast one veteran on the blueline and as a long time Ranger I don't mind having Rozy stick around.

My only real complaint about Rozy is his super slow starts to the season. Once he gets it going he is a top 4 no doubt but he needs to start showing up in October not December.
agreed. rozsival comes pretty close to earning his money. the other 2 do not. by a HUGE margin.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
NY Ranger86

Trust me..

If we don't make the playoffs...
Somebody is going.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Vatchern

I don't think either will be fired.

If dolan is so concerned with getting playoff revenue, then the idea of paying redden in hartford is not an option. It won't happen. so unless we can trade redden (we will probably need sather for a trade like that to happen), we have put up with him.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Redden's contract is the worst in the league... bar none.

Anyone who thinks undoing that massive error wouldn't be a HUGE step in the right direction for this team is insane/on drugs/or fooling themselves.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
IHCWS

After the season theres a lot of work to do, because we have to resign Staal so we need sather, i dont like em too but he is knows what to do.

Torts must change his system (its to offensive/to much turnovers!!!) or, much better :-), he has to go...bring iron mike back to play real hard working hockey!!! thats what we all wanna see

IHCWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

No to both.

What ever happened to a club's ability to release players?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The biggest problem is the man who gave him a contract. The same guy who has screwed up his entire career as a GM. The guy who lived off of inheriting Messier and Gretzky.

Redden is merely this year's scapegoat. Malik, Rozy. Do ya get it, yet? The scapegoats are usually dmen that don't hit hard and fight. Occasionally a non-fighting forward also gets the thumbs-down.

Fans who fail to see the big picture year after year after year after year after year, will always need individual scapegoats because their ability to critically analyze has been surgically removed. Either that, or it never existed.

It's nauseating to see people write that Sather's hands are tired. Guess who tied them.

I shot my parents, dead. Now I'm an orphan. Poor me.
Do you mean to say that we should be dissatisfied with Sather?!

Seriously, we all know Sather is the problem regarding Redden's contract, but to say that someone "fails to see the big picture" because they think Redden himself sucking every single night is the problem is misguided. The guy is terrible. His contract wouldn't be half as hideous if he ever played well. He's not a scapegoat because he is the one out there sucking, not Sather. The contract is Sather's fault, the play is Redden's. Everyone wants to blame Torts and/or Sather when a player underperforms....when is it the player's fault?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:19 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

We have better chances of winning the lotto than of Sather getting fired.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

As I argued for at the time, we could have signed Streit instead of Redden and/or Rozsival, and we would not only have saved a decent amount of cap space, but had a legit #1 defenseman on our team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:05 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHCWS View Post
we have to resign Staal so we need sather
Because Sather is the only one who knows how to work a pen? What does Sather have to do with the need to re-sign Staal?