HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you handle the UFA and RFA

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
BoltSTH

vCash: 500
How would you handle the UFA and RFA

My take:
UFA
Bye Bye
Tanguay Veilleux Bochenski Parrish Hale
Niittymaki
Re-sign with no raise or walk
Foster Craig Konopka
Multi Year deal
Lundin
RFA
Minimum RFA offer
Szczechura Thompson Jones
Multi year deal
Downie
Ranger if ready

Old
03-09-2010, 11:20 PM
gobolt7

Multi year deals:

Downie
Konopka (his value off the ice can not be overstated)
Lundin
Foster

One year deals

Chewey
Thompson
Jones
Nittymaki (Assuming Tokarski is not ready and you can find a partner in the market for Smith.)

Dont let the door hit you on the way out:

Ranger (Dont get me started)
Tanguay
Veilleux
Hale
Parrish
Bochenski

Old
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
sonny side up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
My take:
UFA
Bye Bye
Tanguay Veilleux Bochenski Parrish Hale
Niittymaki
Re-sign with no raise or walk
Foster Craig Konopka
Multi Year deal
Lundin
RFA
Minimum RFA offer
Szczechura Thompson Jones
Multi year deal
Downie
Ranger if ready
UFA:
Peace out: Tanguay, Veilleux, Hale, Bochenski
Possible offers: Niittymaki, Parrish
Must Resign: Konopka, Foster, ST LOUIS (Resign this guy on July 1, don't let this linger too far into the season), Stammer (See St Louis,

RFA:
GTFO: Craig,
Possible: Ranger, Szczechura, Mihalik, Smolenak, Thompson
Musts: Downie, Purcell, Lundin

Old
03-10-2010, 01:20 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

RFA

Leave: Smolenak, Lawrence, Tukonen, Karsums, Thompson, and Simek

Stay: Jones, Lundin, Ranger, Szczechura, Downie, Purcell, Mihalik

UFA

Leave: Tanguay, Niittymaki, Fritz, Bochenski, Hale, Parrish, Craig, and Veilleux

Stay: Foster and Konopka

Old
03-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Tokala

I hope when/if Tanguay leaves that they all point and laugh at him.....kinda like I've been doing all season.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:11 AM
garmonbozia

I would tender all the RFAs whatever is required to retain their rights. Downie is the only one of them I'd try and work out anything of a longer term for, if the numbers don't work out there and he comes back on a 1 year I'm fine with that too. None of the rest has played so good to merit more nor so bad as to walk away from...yet. Ranger is the only one I'd consider walking away from and that would be dependent on his commitment to returning or lack thereof.

UFAs

Lundin - would try to sign to a 2-3yr deal but get a sneaky suspicion he may wish to move on after the way his RFA negotiations and overall development have been handled the past few years.

Tanguay - contrary to most, I'd offer him another 1 year deal. It'd be for less than he makes now (1.5-2M), and I'm sure he'd walk away from it in hopes of finding a better contract/team/self elsewhere. But, I tend to believe he's still better than most of what will be available at his price and position in the offseason. If he leaves I know we'll be wondering how he re-found productivity at his next stop a la Vrbata and Jokinen and Prospal and....etc.

Konopka - not willing to give more than a token raise to him (600-650k). If he accepts it the 4th line center spot is his to lose. If he wants to test the FA waters, so be it, plenty of options of how to work around it without him.

Niittymaki, Foster, Craig, and Parrish are all welcome back at similar rates and roles to what they've had this year. They say and do the right things even if their skills are deficient in some regards. If any or all want to move on, thats fine too as each is entirely replaceable (nay, upgradeable).

Hale, Bochenski, Veillieux - sorry it didn't work out here, best of luck in the future.

Although not FAs - I'd actively look to get Fedoruk, Walker, Smith, and maybe Meszaros' contracts off the books moving forward. Not that I expect notable returns for any of them, just feel thats nearly $10m better spent elsewhere.

I'd entertain a Marty extension that sees him retire a Bolt, but doubt it'll come cheap enough after the season he's having. Either way its probably wise to do some negotiating there now to see where both sides stand heading into his final year. I dread the thought of him being someone else's playoff rental come trade deadline next year.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
RFA

Leave: Smolenak, Lawrence, Tukonen, Karsums, Thompson, and Simek

Stay: Jones, Lundin, Ranger, Szczechura, Downie, Purcell, Mihalik

UFA

Leave: Tanguay, Niittymaki, Fritz, Bochenski, Hale, Parrish, Craig, and Veilleux

Stay: Foster and Konopka
I wouldn't kick Karsums out the door just yet, he's still young and has shown he can produce at the ahl level, some players are late bloomers (he's only 24)

Old
03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
I wouldn't kick Karsums out the door just yet, he's still young and has shown he can produce at the ahl level, some players are late bloomers (he's only 24)
I have a feeling he is going to stay in the KHL.

Old
03-11-2010, 02:10 PM
IdealisticSniper

At this point in the organization's overall setup and status, there is zero reason pretty much every single one of the RFAs on the list dont, at the very least, get qualified. Obviously a few deserve raises and multi year deals etc but I dont see why they wouldnt qualify them all (or 99% of them) at least.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:29 PM
TBLHoser

Who IS the best FA Goalie that's going to be available?

Old
03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Who IS the best FA Goalie that's going to be available?
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...=ufa&type=none

Old
03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
TBLHoser

Actually, that's just where I was looking.....

Here's the list (not in alphabetical order):

Chris Mason
Evgeni Nabokov
Brent Johnson
Rat Emery
Michael Leighton
Alex Auld
Martin Biron
Yann Danis
Dan Ellis
Erik Ersberg
Peter Budaj
Patrick Lalime
Marty Turco
Andrew Raycroft
Jose Theodore

**Note that a number of them are over 30. So who would you take until Janus or Tokarski are ready? I'm looking at Ellis, Budaj or Mason though most a very similar stat-wise.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Tanguay: Gone
Veilleux: Gone
Hale: Gone
Bochenski: Offer a 1 year 2 way deal for Norfolk/Whoever is our affiliate next year.
Niittymaki: Explore other, more reliable options.
Parrish: Only brought in because Lawton is his former agent. Lawton probably won't be back so Gone.
Konopka: Offer a 2 year deal with a slight raise.
Foster: One year deal with a raise, think he signs an expensive deal with another team though.
RFA:
Craig: 2 way deal for AHL
Ranger: Qualify him, won't be expensive.
Szczechura: 2 way deal.
Mihalik: 2 way deal.
Smolenak: Gone.
Thompson: All things considered he has been impressive. 1 year deal.
Downie: long term deal.
Purcell: See how the rest of the season goes but definietly gets a contract.
Lundin: multi year deal.
Karsums: should get an offer to keep his rights.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Bolt32

Tanguay: Gone
Veilleux: Gone
Hale: Gone
Bochenski: Norfolk, or Gone if not willing to sign a two way deal
Niittymaki: Wouldn't mind as a back up, finding a starter is a must though.
Parrish: Bye
Konopka:Offer a one or two year deal, with a slight raise. A one way.
Foster: A few years, with a raise. Shouldn't be too expensive.
RFA:
Craig: Bye
Ranger: Minimum, if he doesn't accept oh well. Two way deal.
Szczechura: 2 way deal.
Mihalik: 2 way deal.
Smolenak: Bye
Thompson: 1 year deal.
Downie: long term deal.
Purcell: A Two/Three year contract.
Lundin: Long term deal, should be cheap too. Mise well lock him up for as little as possible, hes only going to get better.
Karsums: Hes done with the NHL, Bye bye little truck.

Draft either Seguin, or Fowler. Maybe make a few transactions in the offseason but shouldn't go over board like last few seasons. Get someone to work with Hedman, for the love of god.......

Old
03-12-2010, 03:03 AM
garmonbozia

Notice many are listing Lundin as an RFA, I think he's an UFA. If the former, hooray, he'll be back next year! If the latter, I think he's gone barring overpayment and near-guarantee playing time.

As far as FA goalies, also some names to consider on the RFA list. Not so much for offer sheet purposes as working out a trade. Its really kind of disheartening how little difference there is between goaltenders once you get beyond the few 'elite' ones. A bunch are capable of playing in the league, yet, so few can excel past occasional hot streaks and overall inconsistency.

Old
03-12-2010, 07:30 AM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Notice many are listing Lundin as an RFA, I think he's an UFA. If the former, hooray, he'll be back next year! If the latter, I think he's gone barring overpayment and near-guarantee playing time.

As far as FA goalies, also some names to consider on the RFA list. Not so much for offer sheet purposes as working out a trade. Its really kind of disheartening how little difference there is between goaltenders once you get beyond the few 'elite' ones. A bunch are capable of playing in the league, yet, so few can excel past occasional hot streaks and overall inconsistency.
"nhlnumbers.com" has Lundin, Hale & Foster as UFAs for next season. There's only eleven players on our roster right now that are under contract next year (not including those in Norfolk)

Old
03-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Looking at the RFA's, I'd at least toss each of them a qualifying offer (QO)

Blair Jones gets one more season to prove he can stick in the NHL, if it doesn't happen next season, it's not going to happen with Tampa.

With what's going on with Ranger, I'd like to at least retain his rights by offering him a QO. If he rejects the contract, that's fine, for all anyone knows at this point, he may need to spend time in Norfolk first.

TB management needs to come to some sort of decision on Paul Szczechura. The remaining games this season are the time for him to put up, or shut up in my opinion. The Lighting could justify keeping him one more year up-and-down like this, but he's got to make the case that he's a regular NHL player right now. I think he is.

Downie and Lundin should get multi-year deals. Thompson should probably get a two year deal, unless the team has other options they'd like to pursue.

UFA's

Veilleux walks. He was Wes Walz' guy, and especially now that Walz is gone, Veilleux's play hasn't justified an extension. If the FA season drags on, and he's still available, then he's not the worst option in the world, but I wouldn't offer him a contract until that point.

Tanguay has been a disappointment. Same basic deal as Veilleux, let him become a free agent so the team can test other options, but if better options dry up, sign him to a 1-year deal.

I'd let Bochenski walk. He's 27, he's not going to become an NHL regular. If Norfolk really likes him, then I don't have a problem with him as a depth signing, if the budget allows.

Parrish is more like Szczechura. He has to make his case right now if he wants to be back next season. What's unfortunate for a guy like him, is that while he has NHL skill, it's not to the degree of success he once had. The problem is that guys like him tend to be held to much higher expectations and managers will ritualistically overpay them. I'd imagine better, younger, and cheaper options would be available July 1st.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with Hale. He does his job well, but that job is being a 6th/7th defenseman. I wouldn't mind seeing him resigned short-term. It wouldn't bother me either way. That being said, I expect they'll let him walk.

Niittymaki should be resigned. The goalie depth this FA season is very weak, and Niitty has played very well. Although I'll agree that's he's not amazingly consistent, he's not a guy that seems to be affected by the stakes. It's also not an entirely a bizarre thought to imagine him being the backstop of a Stanley Cup winner.

Konopka shouldn't be asking for much more than he's making now. I don't have a problem with bringing him back. Same deal with Foster. It depends on what the composition of the team looks like.

Craig can walk.

Old
03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Hockeyfan02

Forwards:

Tanguay-nuff said
Veilleux- I guess keep him around if he's not looking for a raise
Szczechura- re-sign
Bochenski- let him go
Thompson- re-sign
Purcell- re-sign
Parrish- I guess if he doesn't want a raise
Blair Jones- re-sign
Craig- let him go

Defense:

Ranger- keep him, he probably won't want a raise if he's going to play
Hale- meh, let him go
Foster- re-sign him, I'd go as high as 1.5 a year.
Lundin- lock him up to a 3 year deal

Nitty- Re-sign him for around 1.5-2. Probably another one year deal, wouldn't hate a two year deal.

Old
03-12-2010, 05:36 PM
hockeygirl771

What happens to James Wright?

Old
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl771 View Post
What happens to James Wright?
He has 2 years remaining on his entry level contract. He'll be in Norfolk or Lightning depending on what changes are made over the off season + training camp.

Closed Thread