HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is the Avery Benching a sign of a divided team?

Old
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Is the Avery Benching a sign of a divided team?

It is a way known fact that Sean Avery is very close to a select few players on the Rangers. The list is pretty much known to be Voros,Hank,Gabborik. Torts is pretty much known to bully players and his personal dislike for Avery is widely known and Avery's lack of a avery like season is clear. Do you think this benching is a shot at Hank to pick it up? Torts claim that Sean needs to be more engaged is a joke. Sean is more a MSG favorite then Anyone not named Hank and his year although not great is better then Capt. can't score and a few other underachievers. So I guess my question is was tonight a move by a coach trying to shake up his star scorer and goalie to save his job or more Torts picking on a person he dislikes? I really hope the Torts era ends soon I am losing interest in hockey by the day.
My choice would be Portland Pirates coach Kevin Dineen to replace him

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Blazephr

I don't get how this ALL Tort's fault. has anyone looked at the roster as of late?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

It's a sign of Dagoon reaching really bad and trying his best to bring down a coach who has nothing to work with.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
nyr2417

i'll take anyone over torts im so fed out with his ****, hes got a screw or 2 loose. the idea of avery not being engaged is crazy. whenever avery gets engaged he is reprimanded i.e. when he got in kovalchuks face in the first period and torts ripped him off the ice. torts is a terrible coach and needs to go, hes lost "his" team

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

That's 2 coaches in two seasons that the players are going to get fired.

It says sooo much about this group and its character. It also says alot about some of our fans.

Old
03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Torts Sucks! Fire Him!

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
pwoz

I think the players are ticked off when Redden/Rozsival are not scratched for 10 straight games, but some 4th liners are.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I think the players are ticked off when Redden/Rozsival are not scratched for 10 straight games, but some 4th liners are.
Great point by a fan who gets it.

Old
03-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
It's a sign of Dagoon reaching really bad and trying his best to bring down a coach who has nothing to work with.
Nothing ? really that is your fact and points? Nothing Gaborik is nothing ? Dubinsky is nothing ? Callahan is nothing ? Hank is nothing? Avery is nothing ? Olli and Prospal aren't bad either and oh yea that Del Zotto kid aint have bad. These are your darlings and a dam good NHL base trust me there is talent here and your point is lame as is your personal attack on me.

Old
03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Nothing ? really that is your fact and points? Nothing Gaborik is nothing ? Dubinsky is nothing ? Callahan is nothing ? Hank is nothing? Avery is nothing ? Olli and Prospal aren't bad either and oh yea that Del Zotto kid aint have bad. These are your darlings and a dam good NHL base trust me there is talent here and your point is lame as is your personal attack on me.
Gaborik and Henrik are the only ones that you listed that don't have to play above their talent level. We might have a good "base" but that base is asked to do too much. When you have players like Roszival, Girardi, Redden playing signiificant minutes on defense, your team is just not that good.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Vitto79

Avery cant play like the Avery of old obviously because if he does and screw up once he's out of the league.........this has nothing to do with a rift in the team.......just cause the team struggles doesnt mean there is a problem with the chemistry

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
NY Ranger86

Fire Renney!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
thingthatgoes

I NEVER thought getting rid of Renney was a good idea.
Torts is weak. His only exercise of power over players is to bench them as a punishment. It doesn't work with a professional team, these players all want to play.
As far as the quality of these players, this is a group that should be well above .500 and they're just not. The talent is there. If certain players are getting too much ice time it's only the coaches fault.

As a fan of all things NY I hate to admit, (we) NY fans are the worst. NY fans are the first to boo a player during a small bad streak and leave the arena when our team is down by 2 goals. I wish NY fans supported teams like the Montreal fans.

thingthatgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Avery cant play like the Avery of old obviously because if he does and screw up once he's out of the league.........this has nothing to do with a rift in the team.......just cause the team struggles doesnt mean there is a problem with the chemistry
Vitto
why is he out of the League? Did a memo go out that says that? Avery can't be Avery because Torts has him by the nuts. Play and fight and get in guys faces and don't get rewarded. Hit and play tough no reward. Coach hates him and that it the league has nothing to do with Torts castrating him .

Old
03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Look around you. Look at the teams in the atlantic. Yeah, our team compared to those around us is nothing.

In terms of star power we have Gaborik and it stops there. Every other team save a few have multiple FORWARDS who can be deemed as star power. We only have one player.

Don't even make me go through the list of the teams in the atlantic alone. You'll go dizzy.

Old
03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Exactly Avery is not stupid he knows new york is the perfect fit for him he doesn't want to mess it up. I dont think any other team would pick him up if it doesn't work out with the rangers. He also knows Torts doesn't like him. All that adds up to why he is playing much more mildly.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:36 PM
eco's bones

IMO it's questionable whether Tortorella has any more control over this team than Renney did. To go a little further--Tortorella hasn't seemed to have kept the promises he made for this team this year. The Rangers as he would have it after he took over from Renney did not have the stamina to make a deep playoff run. I don't see any significant improvement in this area from his team this year though and I don't understand how Drury and Redden particularly have gotten a free ride all year.

As far as the Avery benching and his reason for it--it's obvious to me that he's had Sean on a short leash all year long--so be it--but now he benches him for not playing with his previous reckless abandon. Mystifying.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Fire Renney!
I came into this thread to post exactly this...you beat me to the punch.

Dagoon, you may have a point, the Avery-Tortorella feud is well documented. However, I think this situation is Torts looking to make an example and a point to his team. What better to do than to bench Torts' neutered pet, Sean Avery?

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatgoes View Post
As a fan of all things NY I hate to admit, (we) NY fans are the worst. NY fans are the first to boo a player during a small bad streak and leave the arena when our team is down by 2 goals. I wish NY fans supported teams like the Montreal fans.
Montréal fans a worse - way worse, trust me. They have serious entitlement issues. Not to mention French attitude problems.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. A team of lazy talent will win far more games than a team of hard working scrubs. With that said I love how Avery fit's in with the Rangers... just not these Rangers. This team need's some ego-centric scorers. Among a laundry list of things, personality is something this team has been lacking. Having drill sergeant Torts behind the bench doesn't help at all. NHL players don't react well to his thrashings the same way a junior league or NCAA player would.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:55 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Gaborik and Henrik are the only ones that you listed that don't have to play above their talent level. We might have a good "base" but that base is asked to do too much. When you have players like Roszival, Girardi, Redden playing signiificant minutes on defense, your team is just not that good.
I don't like any of these guys more than the next guy but we have been a good team with those guys before. I won't talk about Redden because he is 5th on our D in ice time which isn't "significant". He's playing about as much as he should be.

Roszival led our entire team in ice time the last 3 years. He essentially led our team in 05-06 too, but astonishingly Ozolinsh actually averaged more ice time in his 18 games with NYR. But basically Roszival has led our team in ice time the last 4 seasons. Girardi was 2nd on the team in 07-08 and 3rd on the team in 08-09.

We've been a better team with those guys playing big minutes. In Torts' first full season the biggest difference I notice between him and Renney is that no one is playing above their talent (most are below). Roszival and Girardi are perfect examples. Renney got the 5th or 6th seed and won playoff rounds with those guys playing huge minutes so we shouldn't use them as an excuse for Torts.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

It's not as much the guys on D as it is having a Rookie(not nhl calibur) playing with Redden and having only one forward who can be considered a star. Other teams have multiple forwards who can be deemed as star power.

Old
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is a way known fact that Sean Avery is very close to a select few players on the Rangers. The list is pretty much known to be Voros,Hank,Gabborik. Torts is pretty much known to bully players and his personal dislike for Avery is widely known and Avery's lack of a avery like season is clear. Do you think this benching is a shot at Hank to pick it up? Torts claim that Sean needs to be more engaged is a joke. Sean is more a MSG favorite then Anyone not named Hank and his year although not great is better then Capt. can't score and a few other underachievers. So I guess my question is was tonight a move by a coach trying to shake up his star scorer and goalie to save his job or more Torts picking on a person he dislikes? I really hope the Torts era ends soon I am losing interest in hockey by the day.
My choice would be Portland Pirates coach Kevin Dineen to replace him
Let's be reality, for the half a decade I've been reading these boards you pick someone to hate every season and then invent a fantasy conspiracy that you add on to as the season rolls along.

Honestly if you haven't applied for a Larry Brooks type job for something to do part time you really should as it rivals his work, you just don't have a fancy newspaper logo on top of the stuff you post.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:39 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Avery in Torts out, Mad Mike back.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
BrianNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86
Fire Renney!
LoL, Yeah off with his head. I've had enough of this clown.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Can we wait to see how Avery responds before passing judgment?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote