HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Conditioning

Old
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Hockey Conditioning

I remember reading a book back in High School called complete conditioning for Ice hockey. It was the best book I ever read, I learned a lot about nutrition, hockey, and how to work out. The bock had some great hockey exercises and hockey conditioning tips I also learned that if you want to become a better hockey player, just working out won't help. You need sport specific workouts. It is hard to find hockey specific workouts online (Besides the ones that Al Shaw is posting, thanks eh!)

I did find a good program though from a friend of mine (well I met him because we both have blogs about hockey) He went to University for sports and nutrition and since then has focused entirely on hockey. He has spent the last while putting together a program for the off season, which will help you build strength, speed, and size, everything you need to dominate on the ice

The program does cost money, but you will be getting the best workouts short of asking an NHL conditioning coach and it is really well put together. I signed up and thought it would be cool if some other HFboard members signed up too, then we can chat about it and motivate eachother. He has a video explaining it more, check it out here It is a bit advanced, but you can tell that it will be good! let me know what you think.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
HowToHockey

Here is a quick youtube video that gives you an idea of what you will be doing.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:35 AM
backhander

that looks like that'll do it...hockey specific speed, strength and plyo training...luckily i don't play in ur league!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Here is a quick youtube video that gives you an idea of what you will be doing.

]

that looks too much like actual work.

Good luck with that, I'll be cheering for you from the sidelines.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
cmdrdredd

Well, as a couple posters above have mentioned it's a lot of work for a casual player. I guess someone getting to college level or better it's what they might want to look into. For me? Nah not really. I do martial arts and while it doesn't involve weights and such, the speed and agility is there. Looks like a good program for a certain type of player or level of player.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
HowToHockey

haha yeah I think it is great for any competitive hockey players. I work out already, so I just signed up and I will replace my old routine with this one. The good thing about it is I can go all out and follow the program to a tee if I want to, but I am thinking I will follow most of the program and then just download most of the workouts, videos, and other information so that if I ever REALLY feel like doing a good workout I will have some good stuff to follow.

A few of my friends workout as well so I will be able to impress them with all my new found knowledge!

Old
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
pass the bisk

I may have to start doing these workouts. They look pretty effective.

OT: To the topic starter, keep up the good work on your youtube vids. I subbed em and they are lookin good.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:58 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
]

that looks too much like actual work.

Good luck with that, I'll be cheering for you from the sidelines.
Exactly. My conditioning is a couple of beers after the game

In all seriousness though, this would be nice to have/do if I werent so poor/lazy.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote