HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is the Avery Benching a sign of a divided team?

Old
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Sometimes I wonder if some people are even watching the same team that I am. When was the last time Avery was at his best, hitting, talking ****, throwing players off their game? Not recently, thats for sure. Some of you talk like he's on the point streak of a lifetime or something. Yeah, the D men who deserve it don't get benched but we don't have D men scratched every night that can take their place. Avery is one of my favorite players on this team and I hope he sticks around for a long time, but to say that he has been playing well lately is just not true. So, he sits out for a night and then comes back and either floats like he has been, which is no downgrade, or he's motivated and picks it up. Calm down.

There's no need to twist every happening related to this team to somehow reflect Torts' deficiencies. Burn an effigy of him in your yard or something, don't start a thread every time the wind changes direction at MSG and blame it on the coach.
BINGO!!

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
There's no need to twist every happening related to this team to somehow reflect Torts' deficiencies. Burn an effigy of him in your yard or something, don't start a thread every time the wind changes direction at MSG and blame it on the coach.
I agree. I'd say it's beginning to be a real problem.

It's only a topic because it's Avery. Any other inconsistent role player gets benched and no one would notice or care. Frankly, I don't anyway.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
I don't get how this ALL Tort's fault. has anyone looked at the roster as of late?
Its a lot better then last years team...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Black Tank

It's been a long time since I posted, like a lot of you I can't muster the passion for Rangers hockey these days...

Tortorella bombed when he was part of the Muckler era, one of the most shameful times in franchise history. He got this job on the back of the 04 cup win led by Lecavalier and St.Louis...

I don't know or care why he benched Avery, but this team is playing with no passion or desire and that is the responsibility of Tortorella. Every single player IMO is playing below level and no one on the ice really cares. Exactly like the Muckler teams....

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:38 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
It is a way known fact that Sean Avery is very close to a select few players on the Rangers. The list is pretty much known to be Voros,Hank,Gabborik. Torts is pretty much known to bully players and his personal dislike for Avery is widely known and Avery's lack of a avery like season is clear. Do you think this benching is a shot at Hank to pick it up? Torts claim that Sean needs to be more engaged is a joke. Sean is more a MSG favorite then Anyone not named Hank and his year although not great is better then Capt. can't score and a few other underachievers. So I guess my question is was tonight a move by a coach trying to shake up his star scorer and goalie to save his job or more Torts picking on a person he dislikes? I really hope the Torts era ends soon I am losing interest in hockey by the day.
My choice would be Portland Pirates coach Kevin Dineen to replace him
you are a completely ridiculous person

Avery got benched cause he's been playing like garbage

you keep wanting these players to share your personal dislike for Torts

take a step back and really think about what you claimed....you claim that a coach of a team on the verge of the playoffs would bench someone to either A get under the skin of his franshise goalie, or B to express his own dislike of said player

get real

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Wow people are actually saying that Hank and Gaborik need to step it up? Sure, they haven't been A+ lately, but Avery has been PUTRID....simple benching for a player that isn't performing...Avery isn't involved in anything..

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Garv23

Avery has done nothing this year but made me laugh while mocking Maxim Talbot. Where's the 15-20 goals? What about the consistant hard forecheck and snarl? Oh wait, he made Ilya Kovalchuk angry once.

I'm not an Avery hater by the way. I actually really like him as a player, but let's be real here. He's done zero this year.

Yet fans here still want to fan him and feed him grapes. I don't get it.

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Cruxial

Firstly, criticism of comments and ideas is fine, personal attacks on posters are not. Some of y'all need to grow up.

Secondly, what I think has irked many about the Avery benching, and what I believe has yet to have been articulated, is that Avery's poor may well be attributed to the mixed messages that the coach has sent him.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I agree. I'd say it's beginning to be a real problem.

It's only a topic because it's Avery. Any other inconsistent role player gets benched and no one would notice or care. Frankly, I don't anyway.
I kinda disagree it's a bigger deal because this could be an unwanted distraction for a team trying to make the playoffs. We all saw how Avery ruined Dallas' locker room, what if now he gets like that here?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
It is a way known fact that Sean Avery is very close to a select few players on the Rangers. The list is pretty much known to be Voros,Hank,Gabborik. Torts is pretty much known to bully players and his personal dislike for Avery is widely known and Avery's lack of a avery like season is clear. Do you think this benching is a shot at Hank to pick it up? Torts claim that Sean needs to be more engaged is a joke. Sean is more a MSG favorite then Anyone not named Hank and his year although not great is better then Capt. can't score and a few other underachievers. So I guess my question is was tonight a move by a coach trying to shake up his star scorer and goalie to save his job or more Torts picking on a person he dislikes? I really hope the Torts era ends soon I am losing interest in hockey by the day.
My choice would be Portland Pirates coach Kevin Dineen to replace him
Sounds like a TNA Wrestling script.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
SouvenirCity

09 Round 1 v2.0

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
NYRamonte10

It's just cause Avery sucks as of late. He has made some atrocious giveaways and on top of that he's not being himself. Torts said that he's going to throw guys out there with the hot hand, no matter who it is. These are desperate times, and I agree with his decision to scratch him for a night.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:58 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Torts and Slats out....MESSIER IN! MAN EVERYONE CALLS CAPTAIN TO BE THE NEXT TOE BLAKE.

He should legally change his name to The Captain like the Ultimate Warrior went from Jim Helwig to The Warrior in real life

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This is just Torts sending a message. Sean needs to be his BEST on Sunday vs the Flyers and than down the stretch. He needs to deliver like he did vs the Dallas Stars. He needs to show that level of focus and competitive spark or this team misses the playoffs.

Avery is this teams igniter and the games are soon to literally be must win games.

Gabby is the elite finisher. Play on his line and you have a great chance of looking good.

Avery has a real Sean Avery type of game EVERYONE plays better. Everyone looks good. We've seen this many times. His enthusiasm can be very contagious.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Kind of Blue

If Avery is back tomorrow and plays well, then you can make an argument for Tortorella's tactic.

If Avery is scratched again tomorrow, then Tortorella is just an effing moron.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
If Avery is back tomorrow and plays well, then you can make an argument for Tortorella's tactic.

He plays tomorrow. Like he's ON FIRE

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:00 PM
js10

do you know what happened at practices? maybe Avery did something what earned him benching..

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
It's been a long time since I posted, like a lot of you I can't muster the passion for Rangers hockey these days...

Tortorella bombed when he was part of the Muckler era, one of the most shameful times in franchise history. He got this job on the back of the 04 cup win led by Lecavalier and St.Louis...

I don't know or care why he benched Avery, but this team is playing with no passion or desire and that is the responsibility of Tortorella. Every single player IMO is playing below level and no one on the ice really cares. Exactly like the Muckler teams....
I thought Torts should have been hired instead of being let go. It's funny the way things work out.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Nothing ? really that is your fact and points? Nothing Gaborik is nothing ? Dubinsky is nothing ? Callahan is nothing ? Hank is nothing? Avery is nothing ? Olli and Prospal aren't bad either and oh yea that Del Zotto kid aint have bad. These are your darlings and a dam good NHL base trust me there is talent here and your point is lame as is your personal attack on me.
Avery is less than nothing, in my opinion. That's why he keeps getting run out of town after town. At some point it ceases to be a coincidence.

Gaborik had a great 1st half and has slowed considerably and now it's back to the mysterious groin issues that we were told were a thing of the past.

Dubinsky and Callahan are good players but neither is an offensive force, at the moment.

Hank is excellent.

Ollie and Prospal are average 2nd liners.

Del Zotto stinks this year but will end up a very nice asset someday.

Remove Hank from the picture and the Rangers' young nucleus is below average.

This is not meant as support for Torts. He has shown himself to be an arrogant fellow, who has no idea how to adjust to the personnel he is given.

Sather remains the toxic substance that prevents anything good from happening.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
crisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post

I don't see Avery not playing in the Philly game. He is the one that fought Carcillo remember?

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:49 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I love how Girardi now gets lumped in with Redden and Rozsival, as though he's somehow part of the problem. Oh, I forgot, he didn't jump in to help Gaborik, therefore he has to go.

Girardi plays up to his contract. He logs the 2nd most ice time among dmen. Is he perfect? No. But for what he makes, he more than does his job.
Rozy has played better than Girardi this year, in my opinion.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Sounds like a TNA Wrestling script.
Are you surprised? You're talking about a guy whose favorite aspect of this sport is the one that resembles pro wrestling the most. The part of the sport that is a sideshow meant to attract fans that aren't actually interested in the sport itself.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxial View Post
Firstly, criticism of comments and ideas is fine, personal attacks on posters are not. Some of y'all need to grow up.

Secondly, what I think has irked many about the Avery benching, and what I believe has yet to have been articulated, is that Avery's poor may well be attributed to the mixed messages that the coach has sent him.
If Avery can't figure out "play your game on the edge but don't do really retarded stuff and get suspended" then he shouldn't blame **** on the coach.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Are you surprised? You're talking about a guy whose favorite aspect of this sport is the one that resembles pro wrestling the most. The part of the sport that is a sideshow meant to attract fans that aren't actually interested in the sport itself.
You guys love to make personal attacks at me but you never have legit points. You hate towards me just makes me laugh and love the other 90% of u more. BRB Sting a few others live ur life to the max and then worry about ur families and loved ones and not so much about my life and who I am hanging with or doing. I have forgotten more about the true game of hockey then u will know combined.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
You guys love to make personal attacks at me but you never have legit points. You hate towards me just makes me laugh and love the other 90% of u more. BRB Sting a few others live ur life to the max and then worry about ur families and loved ones and not so much about my life and who I am hanging with or doing. I have forgotten more about the true game of hockey then u will know combined.
Your name isn't Tony by any chance is it?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote