HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great article on Guy Boucher by M.-A. Godin (french)

Old
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

vCash: 500
Great article on Guy Boucher by M.-A. Godin (french)

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...-la-releve.php

It really gives an in-depth look at Boucher's coaching philosophy. I'm not sure if all his methods would be fine with NHL players, but he sure seems to know what he's doing and it's working. Can't wait to see him behind an NHL bench, hopefully in Montreal.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

There's a new article about our AHL coach everyday lol

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Loner

Another from MAG:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...pouce-vert.php

Quote:
"There are different players as there are different types of flowers, suggest he says. We must continue to water the seed until the flower appears. Depending on the type of flower, it will not take the same time.

"But one thing is certain, it is not pulling the flower that will blossom. It's the same thing with the hopes. It gets carried away too quickly. It is unclear how soon they are ready. "
Quote:
All team players experience a journey of their own. And although it's never sexy to ask the patience of the fans, this is the same patience that will transform some of the players Bulldogs players in the NHL.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:01 PM
neilsonftw

I can't wait till he graduates so we won't have to put up with martin's boring crap anymore.

neilsonftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:06 PM
katatoniak

I really like the way he manages everything

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Kjell Dahlin

"... Dans le petit couloir qui mène aux vestiaires, l'entraîneur Guy Boucher a fait coller des photos des Bulldogs. Il n'y en a aucune de célébrations ou de buts spectaculaires. Ce ne sont que des images de joueurs qui paient le prix: un gars bataillant seul contre trois pour la rondelle, un gant au visage devant le but adverse..."

"... Bulldogs’ pictures are on the walls of the small hallway that leads to the dressing room; Guy Boucher specifically asked for those pictures. None of them is about a flashy goal or proud celebrations. They all have a common theme: paying the price. Here you will see a player fighting for the puck against three players, there another player receiving a face wash in front of the opponent’s net..."

A very cool intro! Good read.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
I really like the way he manages everything
He seems to think about every little detail. Clearly a very bright guy, charismatic too obviously.

Good thing he's in hockey; he has the skill set to be some kind of Napoleon

I really like the part were MAG says Boucher gave the team a 48 hour rest after losing 5-0 in Texas instead of punishing them as expected. He knew the problem was not lack of effort but genuine fatigue and the team rewarded this decision by winning 9 straight (!)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Bullsmith

Great article. He's clearly a real individualist himself, and that's at the heart of his coaching philosophy for his teams. You can see it in the ice in some of the more complex systems he plays, the d shifting formations on the fly. It will be VERY interesting to see him in the NHL. He might just be one of those rare coaches who affect how the game is played. He strikes me as pretty unconventional.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Gainey's legacy will be remembered differently than it was at first.

The more I see Boucher and the Dogs, the more I hear about him, the more I become a believer. He's something special.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gainey's legacy will be remembered differently than it was at first.

The more I see Boucher and the Dogs, the more I hear about him, the more I become a believer. He's something special.
It was Timmins that approached Boucher, or that's what I was told but Gainey did sign him so he should get some credit too.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
bipolarhabfan

I think he is going to be the Sun Tzu of coaching . He seems so cerebral and really knows how to push the right buttons. Hope that he continues this success with the Habs in the future.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
LouisJCloutier

Good article MAG

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
MathMan

I don't know if Boucher's current methods would work in the NHL.

I do know, however, that Boucher will ask himself that exact same question and that if he decides it's not going to work, he will adapt.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsonftw View Post
I can't wait till he graduates so we won't have to put up with martin's boring crap anymore.
Im not trying to be negative but how about this coaching style does not work at the NHL level?

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

I do know, however, that Boucher will ask himself that exact same question and that if he decides it's not going to work, he will adapt.
Yeah that's the thing. The guy is smart, and if you read the article, he mentions this :

Quote:
«Après tout, ce qui marchait dans le hockey il y a 10 ans ne fonctionne plus aujourd'hui. Et dans trois ou quatre ans, les choses auront été remodelées à nouveau. Je veux toujours trouver de meilleures méthodes.Je ne m'empêcherai jamais d'oser. Si on s'entête à fonctionner d'une seule manière, on se perd.»
"If you stubbornly work the same way, you'll end up lost"

Not sure how good that translation is, but basically he says you can't keep doing the same thing over and over and you have to adapt.

Quote:
«Avec moi, tout commence par l'individu, et non par le collectif. Car quand la personne s'améliore, l'équipe s'améliore.»
Something else he said in the article is that he believes very strongly in working with players individually and that through players getting better the team gets better. That tells me he wants to get the best out of every player he has instead of trying to fit a square in a round hole. We haven't had a coach with that philosophy in forever.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Im not trying to be negative but how about this coaching style does not work at the NHL level?
Pretty sure Boucher won't do the same things with hockey players that have fully matured career wise.

But him working with players to get the best out of them depending on what the players are capable of doing is probably something that will stick and I can't wait until he replaces Martin.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
I think he's really helped progress a lot of players in the AHL this year and has really taught them the ropes of being a pro in the game. That's a real good thing for us.

I can't wait until Boucher is coaching the Canadiens. The day will definitely come, I hope it's soon. Great addition to our staff within the organization.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

The guy's got brains, much more than the average dude. I'm pretty sure he's gonna make one hell of a NHL coach some day.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

It was a great read, it's always nice to see an article with a lot of info and optimistic about our future. I really like the way Boucher thinks on how to act with certain players and when to reward them or punish them. I'm looking forward to the moment where he'll be behind our bench coaching Subban, Leblanc, Kristo and our other players.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:05 AM
DaHabMan

if a another team asks permission for an interview.....gauthier better turn them away.....i do not want to see him leave the org.....possibly our solution to having stability at the coaching position....

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
if a another team asks permission for an interview.....gauthier better turn them away.....i do not want to see him leave the org.....possibly our solution to having stability at the coaching position....
One thing is for sure, there is no stability at any coaching position in the NHL. (Only Buffalo.)

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
DeVries*

He surely knows how to teach. He is clearly the next Montreal coach, when Martin's contract expires.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Those are certainly a great pair of articles. If you know french read them, if you don't a google translation is worth it IMHO.

I like the part about Subban having to take a few minutes to describe his NHL experience to his AHL teammates.

Boucher seems like a very very interesting individual, but hey, we've all been saying it for a few months now ;-)

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Those are certainly a great pair of articles.
TWSS

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote