HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No suspension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
  #176
FDBluth
Registered User
 
FDBluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Unfortunately, Cooke's hit on Anisimov and Richards' hit on Booth will now both be suspendable offenses according to the new rule. And I say unfortunate because in both cases the victim was in the wrong as much as the hitter. Both had their heads down and weren't paying enough attention to their surroundings.
If a player happens to be unaware in a given situation, that is precisely the reason why they shouldn't be hit in the head because there is a good chance of them getting seriously hurt, as we've seen with Savard and countless others. The game happens quickly--you can't expect players to be aware of all situations and all other players on the ice at all times. When there are those instances of players being unaware of a hit coming, it shouldn't be legal for those players to get taken out of their game/season/career due to a headshot. The league and its players in general seem to think this way as well. I know that if I was a player in the league I'd want to be protected from headshots, and it's the league's responsibility to offer that protection.

FDBluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:38 PM
  #177
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I disagree. The impact on Anisimov was nothing compared to this one imo. Everybody says he left his feet, but to me that means it should have been a penalty...not a suspension. He caught Anisimov with his head down. Happens a lot.

Unfortunately, Cooke's hit on Anisimov and Richards' hit on Booth will now both be suspendable offenses according to the new rule. And I say unfortunate because in both cases the victim was in the wrong as much as the hitter. Both had their heads down and weren't paying enough attention to their surroundings.

This hit, as much as I've defended it this week, wasn't a case of a player not paying attention. This one was more a case of when you are in the slot area and you have a clear scoring chance in a one-goal game, you probably should expect to be knocked down if you're in a vulnerable spot. The fact Cooke wound up hitting him squarely in the head is unfortunate. And it's really the only reason for even the possibility of a suspension. If Savard gets up, this whole situation is quickly forgotten.

But between the two hits, Cooke on Anisimov vs. Cooke on Savard, I think this latest one was worse.
Cooke jumped into Anisimov and threw an elbow. The Savard hit was just very unfortunate. He took a chance in a dangerous area of the ice, and Cooke's shoulder ended up catching a head rather than a shoulder. Unfortunate, but not even close to the Anisimov hit.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:19 PM
  #178
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Who's to say that Guerin hasn't talked to Cooke about it?

I also like that some players have enough balls to call a spade a spade (and the spade in this case is the hit) even if that spade was dished out by a member of their own team.
That's not being a good teammate. Say what you have to say away from the media, but when it comes to something about your teammate, we WANT the players to be vanilla.

Why stir something up? Anyways, I think Bylsma has handled it well by putting them together on the same line a lot lately. I'm not sure it's a coincidence, either.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
  #179
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
If a player happens to be unaware in a given situation, that is precisely the reason why they shouldn't be hit in the head because there is a good chance of them getting seriously hurt, as we've seen with Savard and countless others. The game happens quickly--you can't expect players to be aware of all situations and all other players on the ice at all times. When there are those instances of players being unaware of a hit coming, it shouldn't be legal for those players to get taken out of their game/season/career due to a headshot. The league and its players in general seem to think this way as well. I know that if I was a player in the league I'd want to be protected from headshots, and it's the league's responsibility to offer that protection.
Yeah, but where is the mandatory visor? A visor can lessen a head blow, resulting in a cut from the visor. Which is a good trade-off. Where is the mandatory mouthguard, which doesn't prevent a concussion but it can help. Where is the chinstrap reinforcement? Another preventive measure that is so easy to regulate and enforce.

This new rule is complicated. I've already heard ex-players state that some of the terminology is murky at best. If this rule gives players a false sense of security, then we're not ahead of the game. The way players today turn their backs on the play when in the corners is an example of having a false sense of security. Ex-players say all the time that they would have NEVER had the nerve to turn their back on the play with the puck. But today, players do it all the time. They're in the wrong for doing it, and sometimes they pay a painful lesson as a result. It shouldn't be that way. We're heading down the same road here with the shoulder hits, imo.

Scotty Bowman had a very interesting take about this issue earlier in the week. When asked if the NHL should go to the OHL rules re: head shots (in other words, ANY head shot is an automatic ejection and suspension), he said no. Bowman believes the rule has hurt the OHL today, and he feels the game is not nearly as good as before. I am not exactly sure what specifically he meant by it, but we have to assume that aggressive players in the league have now been reduced to playing a more passive game. That's really sad.

Zack Kassian was suspended in the OHL for the rest of the regular season because of an open-ice hit. If the NHL starts venturing down this road, we're going to slowly lose the game we love.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
  #180
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Cooke jumped into Anisimov and threw an elbow. The Savard hit was just very unfortunate. He took a chance in a dangerous area of the ice, and Cooke's shoulder ended up catching a head rather than a shoulder. Unfortunate, but not even close to the Anisimov hit.
I don't think he elbowed Anisimov. He shouldered him, and the elbow wound up catching Anisimov also.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.