HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schremp out for the year

Old
03-12-2010, 10:47 PM
frankieboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Me too.

Feel free to ignore my posts, if my opinion about Rob Schremp hurts your sensibilities.
I have no intentions of ignoring your posts. You were one of the reasons I signed up. I personally could not care if Boy Rob succeeds or not, as long as the Islanders do. With that said, I'd say that the two could be somehow related...what a concept...players succeeding and the team doing the same.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

frankieboy, I'm glad you're posting and hopefully you continue to - seems like you know what you're talking about and not afraid to challenge a point of view - that's always welcomed on this board! (tread carefully, some posters bite!)

you make some good points about Schremp. He IS impressing and he was grabbed for nothing and if it were any other prospect, we'd all be ecstatic.

---
I am not a huge Schremp fan. I watched him play in London and was not impressed since.
I have seen a different player this year and I DO HOPE he proves me wrong. I expect him to be offered a contract next year.

He's EARNED it in my opinion, with his play and with his attitude.

I'd be happy to eat the CROWich and see Schremp as a contributor to a playoff team.

It's very sad that the Islanders look forward to UFAs and the draft JUST WHEN the hockey season gets interesting. I hope this is the last time!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I have no intentions of ignoring your posts. You were one of the reasons I signed up.
Not sure if I should be flattered...or alarmed (stalker?)

Quote:
I personally could not care if Boy Rob succeeds or not, as long as the Islanders do. With that said, I'd say that the two could be somehow related...what a concept...players succeeding and the team doing the same.
I share the sentiment of your first sentence, of course.

I honestly have said little about Boy Rob in recent months, though that is likely because my interest in watching this team has waned since January. Which is why I found your original post odd. My point about a small sample size is not a slant toward the player, it is challenging the casualness with which some assume statistical success for players.

I hope he gets healthy, does well and helps the team win games moving forward. I do consider him a very limited player and do not project him as a major player (if that) on a good NHL team. If I'm proven to be wrong, I look forward to you telling me as much.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:17 AM
The KGBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Moulson has more goals than Malkin this season....you see the point.
Man, I didn't even realize this! I have friend who's a Penguins fan to tweak tomorrow.

The KGBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:23 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KGBeast View Post
Man, I didn't even realize this! I have friend who's a Penguins fan to tweak tomorrow.
Haha... go get em!! what a crazy stat that Moulson has more goals than Malkin...... This can't be right!! LOL

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 07:38 AM
JPIsles21

I truly find it fascinating how people can be so divided on a player like Schremp. There seems to be very little middle ground regarding him. I think this current team is better with Schremp than without him. Will that be true for when this team is competing? I don't know. But I feel Schremp has improved enough over this year to warrant another look on THIS Islander team. I also hesitate to say any player cannot help a winning team out. Same way I'd never thought guys like Cleary and Hudler would be able to be nice support players for a Stanley Cup contending team.

Schremp is still young, and very talented. He is small and not a very good skater. However, he has been a positve contributor to the team in my opinion.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
I also hesitate to say any player cannot help a winning team out.
Me too.

Which is why when I state it, I am confident about it.

That's my "scouting report," my projection. I have seen enough players in my day that I am capable to look beyond "the now," as are others here. Part of that is recognizing that "contributing" in a losing environment is in no way the same as playing the caliber of hockey required on a top-end team. It's why you often see players who put up shiny numbers on up and coming teams get axed once the team has reached a higher plateau. The examples are countless.

To be sure, Rob Schremp's game could evolve and round itself out dramatically. Clearly, he is NHL caliber in some areas. I see limits in other, important areas. As such, I think that if he does not produce at the level becoming a bonafide top six forward, he is of little/no value. Perhaps he will produce at that level; color me highly skeptical. Likewise, I do not see his game ever translating to top-tier, playoff caliber hockey. (That last sentence will confuse some; others will get it.)

Hence, I respectfully disagree with the Daniel Cleary comparison; Schremp has no "jam" (physicality) to his game, his own coach has intimated as much. Cleary always did, along with superb speed; his issue early on was immaturity and effort. Likewise, typically, superb centers allow you to optimize the talents of wingers, such as Cleary. (Crosby/Malkin and Dats/Zetts are the best examples, of course.) Not the other way around. Finally, Cleary can help a team in multiple ways; Schremp is uni-dimensional. (The Isles possess multiple players of that ilk.)

Only time will tell. Again, if/when NYI is winning playoff series with Rob Schremp on the roster, let alone garnering significant minutes, I'll happily admit to the error of my ways. I personally think that should NYI ever be competitive, the vast majority of this team will be ex-Isles, Schremp included.

So as to avoid any misinterpretation or personal attacks by any who disagree, I respect the differing points of view on this player. And there is no denying that the player was a bright spot, relatively speaking, on this moribund 2009-10 edition of NYI.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-13-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Me too.

Which is why when I state it, I am confident about it.

That's my "scouting report," my projection. I have seen enough players in my day that I am capable to look beyond "the now," as are others here. Part of that is recognizing that "contributing" in a losing environment is in no way the same as playing the caliber of hockey required on a top-end team. It's why you often see players who put up shiny numbers on up and coming teams get axed once the team has reached a higher plateau. The examples are countless.

To be sure, Rob Schremp's game could evolve and round itself out dramatically. Clearly, he is NHL caliber in some areas. I see limits in other, important areas. As such, I think that if he does not produce at the level becoming a bonafide top six forward, he is of little/no value. Perhaps he will produce at that level; color me highly skeptical. Likewise, I do not see his game ever translating to top-tier, playoff caliber hockey. (That last sentence will confuse some; others will get it.)

Hence, I respectfully disagree with the Daniel Cleary comparison; Schremp has no "jam" (physicality) to his game, his own coach has intimated as much. Cleary always did, along with superb speed; his issue early on was immaturity and effort. Likewise, typically, superb centers allow you to optimize the talents of wingers, such as Cleary. (Crosby/Malkin and Dats/Zetts are the best examples, of course.) Not the other way around. Finally, Cleary can help a team in multiple ways; Schremp is uni-dimensional. (The Isles possess multiple players of that ilk.)

Only time will tell. Again, if/when NYI is winning playoff series with Rob Schremp on the roster, let alone garnering significant minutes, I'll happily admit to the error of my ways. I personally think that should NYI ever be competitive, the vast majority of this team will be ex-Isles, Schremp included.

So as to avoid any misinterpretation or personal attacks by any who disagree, I respect the differing points of view on this player. And there is no denying that the player was a bright spot, relatively speaking, on this moribund 2009-10 edition of NYI.
I agree with all this. The biggest key I feel to the argument against Schremp being part of a successful team is the fact that he can only play center due to his speed limitations. The center position is supremely important, and he doesn't produce/have enough intangible factors to be a top 6 forward. And as a bottom 6 forward, he would simply be mis-cast.

I wish him well, and I hope he proves everyone wrong. Either way you think about it, Schremp won't make or break this rebuild. At this point, anything you get from him is a plus.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote