HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Some questions about hockey sticks

Old
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
mcleex

vCash: 200
Some questions about hockey sticks

Sorry if these are dumb questions but ...

Why are there illegal hockey sticks? Like why does it matter if some sticks have more curve than others? Do sticks with big curves give players that much of an advantage?

and secondly..

If curves on sticks are illegal then why doesn't the NHL ban illegal sticks being used? Why do coaches or what not have to point out that another stick is illegal, shouldn't the NHL just completely not allow players to use them?

and finally

Since a lot of players seem to use illegal curves. Why don't coaches call it out more often? I know Ron Wilson did it to Spezza and it was such a big deal .. why doesn't it happen more often?

These questions came up when they talked about it during the Tampa game, I think it was St. Louis' stick?

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
hoonking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post

1. Why are there illegal hockey sticks? Like why does it matter if some sticks have more curve than others? Do sticks with big curves give players that much of an advantage?

and secondly..

2. If curves on sticks are illegal then why doesn't the NHL ban illegal sticks being used? Why do coaches or what not have to point out that another stick is illegal, shouldn't the NHL just completely not allow players to use them?

and finally

3. Since a lot of players seem to use illegal curves. Why don't coaches call it out more often? I know Ron Wilson did it to Spezza and it was such a big deal .. why doesn't it happen more often?

These questions came up when they talked about it during the Tampa game, I think it was St. Louis' stick?
1. Its all preference really. Gretzky did not use as much as a curve as Ovi and neither does Crosby but they both score(d) as much as Ovechkin does.

2. Well, they do ban them from being used, but they don't want to have to check the multitude of sticks that come in for every game. Sometimes they are only illegal by a little bit so it would be a lot of meticulous work.

3. If you call it out and its NOT illegal, that's a 2 minute power play for the accused team if I believe. So its a risky thing to do, coaches only do it if they can really tell or if other players have seen the stick up close.

Last edited by hoonking: 03-12-2010 at 05:36 PM.
hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Another thing, most illegal sticks were shipped to the team with a legal curve, then they were worked on by players, so it's not like the NHL could get on the manufacturers.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post

Why are there illegal hockey sticks? Like why does it matter if some sticks have more curve than others? Do sticks with big curves give players that much of an advantage?

and secondly..

If curves on sticks are illegal then why doesn't the NHL ban illegal sticks being used? Why do coaches or what not have to point out that another stick is illegal, shouldn't the NHL just completely not allow players to use them?

and finally

Since a lot of players seem to use illegal curves. Why don't coaches call it out more often? I know Ron Wilson did it to Spezza and it was such a big deal .. why doesn't it happen more often?

When Spezza got caught he didnt have an illegal curve. It didnt have the required height. I think alot of the uproar about it had to do with the timing of it with it being in the last 2 minutes of a game.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
doobie604

i could be wrong but i remember hearing one of the sportsnet guy saying this was an old rule to keep shots down before the helmet days.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
mm6492

Players buy the sticks with just barely legal curves. A blow torch for a few seconds, and a little pressure= illegal curves.

It i just a small advantage some players try to obtain. It is hard for a player to get caught with it unless it is drastic. Soem players like the bigger curve, some hate it.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Another thing, most illegal sticks were shipped to the team with a legal curve, then they were worked on by players, so it's not like the NHL could get on the manufacturers.
^This

Manufacturers won't ship an item to an NHL team if it doesn't follow known regulations. It's not up to CCM, RBK, Bauer, or Easton to keep this in check because when it leaves them it's within NHL limits. What happens after that isn't their problem.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
i could be wrong but i remember hearing one of the sportsnet guy saying this was an old rule to keep shots down before the helmet days.
I think this is true.

I remember hearing that the more curved a blade is, the more it will rotate and thus generating more lift. I think the original rule was put in place to keep the shots down.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

The illegal curve rule was brought about because goalies had no masks and players were starting to put crazy curves to their blades to really crank slapshots. The more curve you have the better for slapshots but it takes away from other aspects of hockey like accuracy, passing and especially losing a backhander almost entirely.

But anyway my point of view is that having an illegal curve these days while allowing composite sticks is stupid and there should not be any illegal curve penalty these days.

They should keep shaft lengths legal as well as blade lengths legal. Blade curves though .... pointless in this day and age and outdated.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:48 PM
meanolthing

The NHL is slowly relaxing it's view on blade curvature too. Bettman recently increased the amount allowed under the rules, some ridiculous fraction like 3/4 inch or so, but it's an improvement. Eventually the rule is going to be rendered moot, thanks to the 'new' NHL and the focus on scoring.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:28 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Large curves does not help slapshots, the reason it worked so well was because guys in the 60's (banana blade era) would cross the blue line and unload a slapper and hope that the unpredictability and bizarre behavior of the shot/puck would beat the goalie. It had nothing to do with power or accuracy, hence why a smaller curve is what most power slapper tend to use.

The maximum blade curve is 3/4" and has been for a hella long time, not sure what the dude above me is talking about. Very few NHLers use 3/4" curves. With the accuracy and puck control pros have these days, the biggest reason to use a max curve is for stick handling.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
When Spezza got caught he didnt have an illegal curve. It didnt have the required height. I think alot of the uproar about it had to do with the timing of it with it being in the last 2 minutes of a game.
Speeza's blade was too short at the toe. Minimum blade height is 2", maximum is 3". Selanne, on the other side of the spectrum had a blade that was too tall.

Manufacturers most certainly ship sticks that are deemed "Illegal," moreso in years past when the max curve depth was 1/2". It's goalie gear that they really can't get away with since it MUST be approved before it gets to the team.

Half of retail patterns wouldn't have passed that test.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:07 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Large curves does not help slapshots, the reason it worked so well was because guys in the 60's (banana blade era) would cross the blue line and unload a slapper and hope that the unpredictability and bizarre behavior of the shot/puck would beat the goalie. It had nothing to do with power or accuracy, hence why a smaller curve is what most power slapper tend to use.

The maximum blade curve is 3/4" and has been for a hella long time, not sure what the dude above me is talking about. Very few NHLers use 3/4" curves. With the accuracy and puck control pros have these days, the biggest reason to use a max curve is for stick handling.
Stick handling is 100% easier with a non curve. Big curves helps a ton with wrist shots, becuase the curve sort of emulates the rolling of the wrists, giving it more power and spin

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post

Old rule was a half-inch curve, new rule for the 2006-07 season and onward is the 3/4 one. Guess I didn't realize 4 years counted as a "hella long time". My bad :p.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:01 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
Stick handling is 100% easier with a non curve. Big curves helps a ton with wrist shots, becuase the curve sort of emulates the rolling of the wrists, giving it more power and spin
The big curve makes a cup which holds the puck, flat blade not so much

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote