HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Let's be reality: Pens/Devils

Old
03-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Gooch

vCash: 500
what the hell is up with Poni not being put on the first PP? There is no traffic in front of the goaltender, they just play catch with Brodeur having a clear view of the puck no matter where it goes.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
what the hell is up with Poni not being put on the first PP? There is no traffic in front of the goaltender, they just play catch with Brodeur having a clear view of the puck no matter where it goes.
Maybe they're so used to seeing Fleury not save pucks he has a clear view at that they think it's the norm.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Billy Guerin on the powerplay is something I can't ever comprehend. What does he show out there that makes him deserve that spot?

How an NHL coach doesn't see a problem with that, is beyond me.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Billy Guerin on the powerplay is something I can't ever comprehend. What does he show out there that makes him deserve that spot?

I must say, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not the biggest fan of Ponikarovsky, but I suspect one of the main reasons why Shero acquired him was to play in front of the net on the first PP unit.

I get the distinct impression that Bylsma has trouble cutting into a veteran's ice time in any way, shape or form. Not sure why. He has the respect of the room, he's won a Cup already. What he says should carry a ton of weight. But I think he may be going too far in his player-friendly disposition.

imo.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Maybe we can force Bylsma and Therrien to rotate coaching?

Definitely a bit of a sophomore slump for Disco Dan this year.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Maybe we can force Bylsma and Therrien to rotate coaching?

Definitely a bit of a sophomore slump for Disco Dan this year.
Definitely. And maybe we shouldn't be surprised at all, seeing as this is his first full season as an NHL head coach.

He's like the Ken Dryden/Patrick Roy of coaches, with a Cup ring before his official rookie season.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Icarium

Too much overpassing and luck was just not on Pens' side. No point panicking yet, IMO.

I really want to like Fedotenko's play, for the stupid reason that he looks like a nice enough fellow with that goofy smile of his and I also like to be on the contrary, so I sort of hope people are wrong about him. Hence I watch him more carefully than most other players on the team. He brings down Malkin's line so much in almost every game. He seems to just love getting rid of the pack as soon as possible - almost every time the second he receives it he shoots (and misfires horribly way too often, often not touching the puck at all) or dumps it along the boards often without even looking to see if a teammate has even a glimmer of hope of catching it. Just keep the damned puck from time to time, give your linemates time to enter the zone, get open for a pass, make a screen. I am starting to wonder why Malkin even bothers passing to him so much as he does, if I were Malkin I would shoot a lot more knowing that my passing option is Feds. Don't get me wrong, Malkin's finishing has been sub-par this season and he certainly has plenty of shots as it is but it seems better to shoot and hope for a lucky bounce than pass to Feds and hope he has a rare moment of mental clarity or something to that effect...

Icarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Kinguin

Quote:

I think Bylsma simply believes that he is the best man for the job, is having a tough season in general, but still is 4th on the team in goals and the winger who most scored for us, and at any moment, can explode.
Tough thing is that he is imploding at any moment.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
NIN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats the thing. I think people expect to much of him. He's never put up great numbers and isn't going to any time soon. I blame the Pens more for relying on him being a scorer more than I blame him for not scoring. The thing that really kills me about Feds is that he isn't hitting the net. Its like he has to pick a corner everytime.
That's fine, but isn't it the coaches job to recognize when a line isn't working? Therrien got the most out of Fedz because he kept moving him off the scoring lines and making him earn his spot there. Bylsma says okay you speak Russian so the job is yours, everybody else go **** yourselves because you're French or whatever and not Russian.

NIN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
I think Bylsma simply believes that he is the best man for the job, is having a tough season in general, but still is 4th on the team in goals and the winger who most scored for us, and at any moment, can explode.
Bylsma's a bit more conservative this season with his lineups than in the playoffs, it seems. Maybe he's waiting to get a read on Ponikarovsky? It took him a bit of time to work Kunitz and Guerin into their places in the lineup last year, so maybe it's the same? Your guess is as good as mine.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Wickedtune

Quote:

This is the one thing about Bylsma that bugs me. Bill G. does not belong on the top powerplay. We have enough guys there that can shoot the puck, we need someone to stand in front of the goalie. Occasionally Guerin will do that but usually he's standing off to the side of the net waiting for either a pass or rebound. (Which he tends to shoot wide or wiff on half the time anyway.) There was a little bit of time when Matt Cooke was seeing a little bit of time on the top powerplay and I thought he did better than anyone. He knew his job was to be a pain in the ass in front of the crease and he did that and did it pretty well IMO. And he was much better at going to retrieve pucks than Guerin ever was. I thought it had been the best our powerplay had looked all season but for some reason we only saw it when the PP came right after Guerin's shift or when Guerin went off before the rest of the guys.

Obviously now that we have Poni I'd like to see him be given that spot instead of Cooke. He's a bigger guy and has better hands. But it the point still remains that Bylsma seems to stubborn to take Guerin off of it.

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Pittsburgh Pens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
+ Sid getting a goal

+ Cooke's play was one of the only positives all game (hits, forechecking and winning a fight)

- Poni's disappearing act the past 2 games

- Billy Guerin's complete inability to stay on-side

- The refs were some of the worst I've ever seen in my life (Adams call was total BS)

- Geno not skating hard, playing hard or doing anything hard

- MAF: I'm not with the "we need him to get a shutout" crew, but it's gotten to the point where I expect him to give up between 2-4 goals per game and that's not good at all.

What game were you watching, Geno was working hard, especially after the start of 2nd period, i thought he was our hardest working player. He created most of our chances during late in the game. He's just not playing smart as last year but his intensity level is still there.

Pittsburgh Pens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:29 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
I'm guessing you are correct, Kinguin.

The crazy thing is that Bylsma actually identifies what we need on the ice. He said on the powerplay we need to play desperate and retrieve pucks for 2nd chances. He also talks about the net front presence and how important it is. Then come game time, Billy Guerin is the guy he turns to for all of that?!? That's the exact opposite of what Guerin does.

I guess I could rant on this all day, but it is just crazy to me an NHL coach can't see that.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Bylsma's a bit more conservative this season with his lineups than in the playoffs, it seems. Maybe he's waiting to get a read on Ponikarovsky? It took him a bit of time to work Kunitz and Guerin into their places in the lineup last year, so maybe it's the same? Your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe, it could be an explanation, yes.
But he already knows Kunitz, which could have been a better solution even before Poni arrived, so...
Both he and Poni are working recently on the 2nd PP unit, with Staal, when Fedex doesn't assume his spot, so, there's hope that at some point Poni climbs to the top unit.

Other explanations include the fact that Guerin when inspired, is actually a good passer and Bylsma figures he could create chances for Sid, our best goal scorer this season, and Geno Malkin. Or...

Quote:
I'm guessing you are correct, Kinguin.

The crazy thing is that Bylsma actually identifies what we need on the ice. He said on the powerplay we need to play desperate and retrieve pucks for 2nd chances. He also talks about the net front presence and how important it is. Then come game time, Billy Guerin is the guy he turns to for all of that?!? That's the exact opposite of what Guerin does.

I guess I could rant on this all day, but it is just crazy to me an NHL coach can't see that.
...simply the fact that he delegates functions and the PP is Mike Yeo's responsibility on his view. Maybe Yeo is defining who plays on the top unit - I don't think we have this info, but as a guess - this could be another try.

If you see his interviews, Cole, you're right, not always they're coherent with the output on the ice. Perhaps is a way Bylsma finds good to say: "That's the way we should do, folks... wake up..."

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Katawah

How many points does Caputi have already with Toronto?

I don't think he ever got a real chance with the (NHL) Penguins. Looks like the trade for Poni might have been a mistake. Caputi could be what we needed in a winger, afterall. He probably was ready to be called up here, and then we trade him for an over-rated Ponikarovsky. Damnit. Doesn't look like such a good move. Could be a bummer.

But, anyway .. hell, yes .. why is Poni not being put on the First PP unit in front of the damn goalie?!!? Bylsma is as freakin stubborn as Therrien sometimes. Come on, Bylsma .. you can do better than this.

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Lets take it a bit further, as I expected the whole team to switch over to man on man D after the Olympic break/trade deadline for the final push. Has anyone noticed it?

I'm just not getting the feel this team is in tune with itself, from coaches on down to the players.

Maybe they need to refresh their memories, and watch some tapes from last year from game 75 into the playoffs.

As far as Poni goes, no less than 18 minutes of ice time should be handed his way, he has yet to crack 15 minute mark in 4 games, but both Crosby and Malkin are playing over 20 and 21 minutes a game. That gap needs to close a bit if you want him to produce. The difference is PP time.

I also think they need a little rivalry with in the ranks to push themselves by splitting up the the two with separate PP units. I will hold onto this because I think these two suffocate each other on the PP. Also, it keeps the players fresher, and anables them to run one of the two after the PP is up.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote