HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time to bench Hartnell...

Old
03-11-2010, 08:43 PM

vCash: 500
It's time to bench Hartnell...

I know the team has generally been playing well of late, but we're doing this despite being effectively one man down for most of the game.

Hartnell is a shell of his former self. He's not hitting, he's not scoring, he's not causing any trouble and he's not drawing penalties. All he's doing right now is missing chances, taking a huge amount of dumb penalties and killing whoever is unfortunate enough to be put on his line.

He's utterly hopeless and his presence is actually getting to the point where he'd be more use by not being on the ice. Give his spot to Leino, at least he's looking like making a difference.

As much as i've liked him in the past, he's currently the first one on the trade block. Let's do it while he still has some semblance of trade value left.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Well, benching him will kill his trade value, but this point, they at least need to have the conversation.

I mean, Laviolette got here over 3 months ago and he still doesn't understand stuff like "don't turn the puck over at the offensive blue line" which is hockey 101 anyways.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I know the team has generally been playing well of late, but we're doing this despite being effectively one man down for most of the game.

Hartnell is a shell of his former self. He's not hitting, he's not scoring, he's not causing any trouble and he's not drawing penalties. All he's doing right now is missing chances, taking a huge amount of dumb penalties and killing whoever is unfortunate enough to be put on his line.

He's utterly hopeless and his presence is actually getting to the point where he'd be more use by not being on the ice. Give his spot to Leino, at least he's looking like making a difference.

As much as i've liked him in the past, he's currently the first one on the trade block. Let's do it while he still has some semblance of trade value left.
Why don't you cry about it?

...preferably in one of the other handful of threads where this is being talked about...

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Hartnell was better tonight than he's been in many recent games. There may have been a point a bit ago where I'd have considered benching him, but not now. He is hitting, he is still causing some trouble, and while he's sucked it up pretty bad offensively, he has undeniably been a bit snakebitten at the same time. Just have to ride it out and hope he can pick it up.

And if Leino isn't playing, I'd even leave the lines alone. I wasn't a fan of Lavi beginning to switch the lines up tonight when he did. We've won a lot of games recently with those lines, and I was happy enough with the chances they were genrating...I'd have left it alone.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
ELab2

I don't think he was any better tonight. He continues to be a selfish brat. You don't blast a slapper down the ice when their is a delayed penalty call and you can easily gain possession. It's just a d-bag move. The 3on1 goal was mostly his fault because he couldn't gain possession of a puck that was sitting there for the taking.

He's terrible. He should be sitting. Trade value doesn't matter. I don't think he'll waive his NTC anyway, and he should be waived in the offseason.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I actually forgot about the 3 on 1, which he certainly did blow it on(although Krajicek didn't exactly help the matter). But anyway, when I say that he was better tonight, that's more of a nod toward how terrible he's been in other recent games than it is praise for his play tonight.

And actually, considering that Leino looked pretty damn good on that same line....and we could just insert him without even doing any other juggling...yeah, I mean, I certainly wouldn't object to him being sat down.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Hartnell hasnt been good in awhile. he has lost his swagger. But we know how it is right? All he has to do is get into a fight and some people will forget about how much he has sucked for the most part this season.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
jb**

The only criticism of the coach i have is this, hartnell is dragging his line down and doesnt deserve top minutes. Def no pp time. Press box or at least 4th line(hartnell-powe-asham) for a while. I dont want to hear abotu his off ice issues. Suck it up, everyone has problems. He adds nothing for the last 50 games. The pansy that shooter is no doubt he wont ask him to waive his ntc now.

On a different note i have never seen a guy fall down so much and so easily psuhed off the puck than hartnell. People actually consider him a powerforward which is beyond comical.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:09 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I like Hartnell a lot, so it hurts to say that I agree with this thread. The guy just hasn't transitioned well under Laviolette and has been downright bad for a lot of the season. Apparently he's having issues off-ice but that's no reason for the coach to go easy on him. He needs some time off to think about what his priorities are.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:38 AM
JCameron418

Bench or bottom line for a couple games. He'll get the point soon enough.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Why don't you cry about it?
What a sensational and mature response.

Old
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Kaktus*

Hartnell should be playing on 4th line throwing his body around. Maybe move Lappy up.

Hartnell Betts Powe

Someone mentioned that benching Hartnell will hurt his value? As of now, he has no value.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Mgkibbles

Agreed. Outside of a very clutch goal today Hartnell was dreadful. He has no puck skills and I really don't see how his brick hands fit into this offense.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
TheTaekster

I think his goal today is an example of why you shouldn't BENCH him...hartnell is one of the streakiest players on this team. he's due for a hot streak. supreme logic, i know.

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Let's be reality, Huet should have saved that.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Haha Huet did show his true colors on that play.

Old
03-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Agreed. Outside of a very clutch goal today Hartnell was dreadful. He has no puck skills and I really don't see how his brick hands fit into this offense.
I'm gonna put away my support for Hartnell for just a minute here with full intentions of sounding as objective as possible: The game winning goal doesn't happen without him, and was the result of puck skills. He just made the soft pass to Giroux and followed it up by staying onside. I'm not saying he doesn't have below average hands, but it's not like the skill's always sitting on the outside of his hard head repeatedly running into it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Quote:
Haha Huet did show his true colors on that play.
Really? It was a nice shot. By the time the shooter is that close to you, you aren't really gonna have a chance to react, so you're basically just trying to play your angle and stay in front of the the shooter. Huet did that. Hartnell had to bank it in off the post in order to get it by shortside.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
We couldn't of watched the same game then? All i saw was hartnell crashing into players, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, getting shots off, winning the puck for giroux and briere, and kid me not, did it not seem like briere and giroux had allot of space out there.

That goal was incredible for a guy on a slump.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Sooo...every guy on the team needs to be a wizard with the puck? Good call. That'll work out well.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:09 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 871
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Yea I agree. He did have some nice moments yesterday, but he also really sucked at times.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:48 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Yea I agree. He did have some nice moments yesterday, but he also really sucked at times.
He was giving effort physically, but he was awful with the puck, turned it over at the worst times. The goal was a great idea by him sneaking by the 'hawks on a change and a good effort to get his shoulder around and force Huet to honor the possibility of a deke move. He was solid the rest of the game. I'd put my money on that goal giving him confidence, a little puck luck in the next few games and he'll be confident enough to put together a hot streak.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Didn't see the game last night but saw his goal. That looked pretty nice. I'm a big Hartnell fan, but I do think he could stand a few games in the press box. Maybe that will light a fire under his ass or something?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:29 AM

Reverse psychology innit.

Old
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Sooo...every guy on the team needs to be a wizard with the puck? Good call. That'll work out well.
Didn't say that, but guys on the team shouldn't be trying to act like Giroux when THEY'RE A ****ING POWER FORWARD. Hartnell very often tries to be too fancy with the puck and it doesn't help the team at all.