HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Corey Locke

Old
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

vCash: 500
Corey Locke

Why is this guy never brought up in the case of an injury, he's tearing up the AHL and may be more adaptable to the show than paranteau. he's got more offensive upside than most of the bottom 6, and might be able to fill in the top 6 if there's an injury. thoughts?

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
Why is this guy never brought up in the case of an injury, he's tearing up the AHL and may be more adaptable to the show than paranteau. he's got more offensive upside than most of the bottom 6, and might be able to fill in the top 6 if there's an injury. thoughts?
Mostly because he is just like players such as Paranteau, Krog, etc that put up excellent numbers in the AHL but their skills do not translate to the NHL level. He's been putting up great numbers the last 5 years in the AHL, but he hasn't been able to make the next jump. More then likely it's because of his height (5'9). I haven't seen him play that much but it could be a good guess.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Mostly because he is just like players such as Paranteau, Krog, etc that put up excellent numbers in the AHL but their skills do not translate to the NHL level. He's been putting up great numbers the last 5 years in the AHL, but he hasn't been able to make the next jump. More then likely it's because of his height (5'9). I haven't seen him play that much but it could be a good guess.
Dead on and he is really one dementional

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Even if he is one dimensional, it's the dimension the Rangers lack. I always felt he was comparable to Nigel Dawes. I think the Rangers should at least give him a shot, if he scores some goals, he could easily be tradeable.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Even if he is one dimensional, it's the dimension the Rangers lack. I always felt he was comparable to Nigel Dawes. I think the Rangers should at least give him a shot, if he scores some goals, he could easily be tradeable.
Rangers have lacked defense as well. He is also an RFA after this season.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Even though I'd guess that Locke wouldn't have anything to show after a call up, I still say he deserves one, much like PA always have. But yeah with PA on his line Locke is a much better player. Without he's just too small to be the main offensive threat.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:20 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Has he played enough in the NHL to say for sure that his skills don't translate though? I haven't been following the team die hard for too many years, but I don't remember him playing much if at all. Sure, you can look on paper and say these skills aren't going to translate, but we have a lot of guys who don't produce anything...can't hurt to bring the guy up and find out for sure, right? Also, with the height, there are short players who are better than 98% of this roster (Kane, St. Louis) so I don't know that he's automatically disqualified or anything.

Honestly, I don't follow the Pack much at all, so I'm not too well informed on this front, but it seems like this guy should get a chance to prove that his skill set does or doesn't work in the big league. If we had some scoring throughout the lineup, I could see holding off, but we could use some goals and we have nothing to lose.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Levitate

he's a small, slow, one dimensional player who gets dominated along the boards at the AHL level

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
eco's bones

Of the current Hartford forwards only Byers, Weise and Grachev have any chance of making the NHL for real. Parenteau and Locke may put up a lot of points but they're not dynamic enough offensively nor are they rounded enough to play on the bottom lines. It's pretty much top 6 or nothing and they are not good enough for that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Grachev>Byers>Weise

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Grachev>Byers>Weise
They all have some potential though only Grachev has the potential to be a top 6 NHL forward. Hartford is really not that strong. Nothing necessarily wrong with what Byers or Weise are doing. You want some size and grittiness in your bottom 6 and those two should provide some of that--if they make it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't think there is anything wrong with calling Locke up seeing as how this team is ****ed anyway, but his skating is awful. He can't create chances at the NHL level because he is neither fast enough, strong enough, or big enough to conquer enough time and space for his excellent offensive abilities to shine.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:18 AM
squishy

Locke makes Parenteau look like a well-rounded, complete player. He's small, one-dimensional an average skater, and can't play in traffic. More than half of his points come on the power play, because he needs the extra time and space. He hasn't gotten a chance with the Rangers because there is nothing in his game to suggest he'll be able to handle the pace of the NHL game.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:55 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Locke makes Parenteau look like a well-rounded, complete player. He's small, one-dimensional an average skater, and can't play in traffic. More than half of his points come on the power play, because he needs the extra time and space. He hasn't gotten a chance with the Rangers because there is nothing in his game to suggest he'll be able to handle the pace of the NHL game.
Time to call up Ken Gernander.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:33 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
This is what I get from watching Locke as well. Very good analysis Squishy.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

He's that player that would domintate in the AHL, then he gets called up and then he wont be able to handle the NHL. Plus hes small.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with calling Locke up seeing as how this team is ****ed anyway, but his skating is awful. He can't create chances at the NHL level because he is neither fast enough, strong enough, or big enough to conquer enough time and space for his excellent offensive abilities to shine.
there is a lot wrong with calling him up now.

if we continue to slide, grachev must be called up. a guy like that needs to get at least a taste of nhl hockey before he goes into the summer.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
there is a lot wrong with calling him up now.

if we continue to slide, grachev must be called up. a guy like that needs to get at least a taste of nhl hockey before he goes into the summer.
Why?

I wouldn't want to subject him to the atmosphere of this team. This team stinks.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote