HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

In town for the NYR game tonight - a few questions...

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2010, 10:57 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

vCash: 500
After watching them ridiculous videos of Marta i have a few questions.

Do the Thrashers play in a bad area? When I say bad I mean people whom walk around and rap and call themselves gangsters. Like people who jump people for no reason and consider themselves tough afterwards.

I am by no means racist but I had a thought and now have a question. Isn't like 60% of Atlanta African Americans? I know most of the famous rappers today are from Atlanta like TI, Ludacris, Little John and a ton more. They are all gangsters too. 50% or more of Atlanta are gangsters. My question: Do people IN Atlanta know who the Thrashers are? And my other question which was posted above, do the Thrashers play in a bad area?

Last edited by John Cena*: 03-13-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old
03-14-2010, 01:51 AM
AintLifeGrand

about 15 years ago you could say the area surrounding Philips was a bad area, however due to improvements and gentrification initiated by the Olympics and investment into the downtown area, you could call downtown around Centennial Olympic Park alot less sketch than it used to be. Yes there are still crackheads and homeless than panhandle outside of Philips but it is nowhere as bad as the area around Turner Field in the summer during Braves games. (that bridge you walk under if you park on the west side of the field is sooo sketch/sad)

Since I've lived my whole life inside the perimiter I can only really speak for that area but I'll say this:

to the black community Atlanta is called "Black Hollywood" due to the fair amount of affluent blacks that live in the city, however they have yet to assimilate into the "old south" status quo that predominates neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Va highlands,Vinings, Oak Grove, Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. They mostly live in areas like Lithonia, Stone Mountain, Sw Atlanta, and OTP Mcmansion neighborhoods which you see featured on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" where alot of Rappers (lil Jon, Ludacris), Football players, and Hawks players live. Thats not to say some prominent black athletes live in prestigous neighborhoods in Buckhead or elsewhere, Dikembe Mutombo has a house on North Side Drive in Buckhead as does Akon.

Atlanta is a diverse mix of white ATL/southern natives, blacks, and transplants. In my area there aren't many black people, but if you go further South or South East, whites become a very small minority. Its basically the nature of Atlanta as it is a very segregated city, and as more affluent professionals move intown, poorer blacks will get pushed to the fringes of the city. If you are African American in Atlanta, basically the only way you will assimilate into Atlanta high society is if you are a professional with a college degree, if you don't chances are you will probably be working a menial service job somewhere. Sad but the truth, but its like that in alot of cities. Despite what I Said, alot of strides have been made in terms of integrating black and white demographics as alot of prestigious ATL private schools (paidea, Woodward,Marist, Greater Atlanta Christian, St. Pius X, even Lovett) are admitting more minority students each year.

Regardless Atlanta is my home, I've lived here my entire life, I couldn't fathom living anywhere else unless it was a ski town out west; Its the most awesome city in the world; Awesome Foliage/vegetitation, good nightlife, great shopping, good looking southern females, scenic/quaint neighborhoods(espt NE dekalb county, Decatur, Druid Hills, Oak Grove/N Decatur, Va Highlands, Little 5 Points Inman, Park, Buckhead, Brookhaven, Dunwoody etc)everything you would ever want in a city.

Last edited by AintLifeGrand: 03-14-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old
03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
about 15 years ago you could say the area surrounding Philips was a bad area, however due to improvements and gentrification initiated by the Olympics and investment into the downtown area, you could call downtown around Centennial Olympic Park alot less sketch than it used to be. Yes there are still crackheads and homeless than panhandle outside of Philips but it is nowhere as bad as the area around Turner Field in the summer during Braves games. (that bridge you walk under if you park on the west side of the field is sooo sketch/sad)

Since I've lived my whole life inside the perimiter I can only really speak for that area but I'll say this:

to the black community Atlanta is called "Black Hollywood" due to the fair amount of affluent blacks that live in the city, however they have yet to assimilate into the "old south" status quo that predominates neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Va highlands,Vinings, Oak Grove, Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. They mostly live in areas like Lithonia, Stone Mountain, Sw Atlanta, and OTP Mcmansion neighborhoods which you see featured on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" where alot of Rappers (lil Jon, Ludacris), Football players, and Hawks players live. Thats not to say some prominent black athletes live in prestigous neighborhoods in Buckhead or elsewhere, Dikembe Mutombo has a house on North Side Drive in Buckhead as does Akon.

Atlanta is a diverse mix of white ATL/southern natives, blacks, and transplants. In my area there aren't many black people, but if you go further South or South East, whites become a very small minority. Its basically the nature of Atlanta as it is a very segregated city, and as more affluent professionals move intown, poorer blacks will get pushed to the fringes of the city. If you are African American in Atlanta, basically the only way you will assimilate into Atlanta high society is if you are a professional with a college degree, if you don't chances are you will probably be working a menial service job somewhere. Sad but the truth, but its like that in alot of cities. Despite what I Said, alot of strides have been made in terms of integrating black and white demographics as alot of prestigious ATL private schools (paidea, Woodward,Marist, Greater Atlanta Christian, St. Pius X, even Lovett) are admitting more minority students each year.

Regardless Atlanta is my home, I've lived here my entire life, I couldn't fathom living anywhere else unless it was a ski town out west; Its the most awesome city in the world; Awesome Foliage/vegetitation, good nightlife, great shopping, good looking southern females, scenic/quaint neighborhoods(espt NE dekalb county, Decatur, Druid Hills, Oak Grove/N Decatur, Va Highlands, Little 5 Points Inman, Park, Buckhead, Brookhaven, Dunwoody etc)everything you would ever want in a city.
i'm not sure what the hell this was about but it actually made sense

Old
03-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Jerdn

Haha agreed.

The whole thing about ATlanta i dont like, I really hate the weather. Its unpredictable, it could be the most beautiful day, but 2 hours later it turns into one of those stinkers with a gray sky and you don't want to do anything.

But I love Atlanta, I was born here and have lived here my entire life.

The area around Phillips isn't a bad really, don't go around there at 12:00 PM later by yourself, but if you're riding marta to a thrashers game/back from one with friends, or with tons of other people, nothing will happen, there are cops all around. It's fun

Old
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

When i use to listen to rap mainly southern rappers a few years ago, i would always hear the ATL rappers mentioning their hoods. I lost count of how many "hoods" are in Atlanta. I can remember one dude Shorty Low rapping about Bankhead... whatever that is. Oh and Ludacris always mentioning the cater.

Thanks for the answer though so atleast I know what to expect if I ever come visit to watch the Thrashers/Falcons.

I don't know what you people listen to but are there any bands out of Atlanta or any local bands from Atlanta right now that are well known?

Last edited by John Cena*: 03-14-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old
03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
AintLifeGrand

Widespread Panic is from Athens they are pretty big.

if you like Metal, then you'll know Mastadon is from ATL as well(not really my thing)

as far as rap goes, Outkast , Jeezy, Gucci Mane, and a whole other laundry list of ballinass rappers are from Atlanta or Decatur area but they (outkast)give a shout out to Bank Head/SWATS(sw atlanta) where they say "Rollin around Swats where the herb is never tainted". Take that for what you will, I've had friends get robbed at gun pt down there. Probably the worst part of Atlanta.

Old
03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Aaronxxx

yeah the west end is not the place to be alone after sundown. i have a friend who got robbed out there at gunpoint just a few months ago.

Old
03-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Jerdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
When i use to listen to rap mainly southern rappers a few years ago, i would always hear the ATL rappers mentioning their hoods. I lost count of how many "hoods" are in Atlanta. I can remember one dude Shorty Low rapping about Bankhead... whatever that is. Oh and Ludacris always mentioning the cater.

Thanks for the answer though so atleast I know what to expect if I ever come visit to watch the Thrashers/Falcons.

I don't know what you people listen to but are there any bands out of Atlanta or any local bands from Atlanta right now that are well known?
Mastodon!!!
for metal, then there are tons of bands that fit other genres. and tons of bands that come from Athens/UGA.

Black Lips are Atlanta Based, but not as well known.

Closed Thread