HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dale Weise

Old
03-13-2010, 04:21 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He is right.

Parenteau is top 6 or bust.

Dale Weiss can (and should) be a contributor on the bottom 6.
What does contributor mean? From what I understand, many think Weise will be a regular player in the line-up somewhere in the 3rd or 4th lines. What I think is he will be too inconsistant to be a 3rd liner. He'll maybe be a 4th liner.

They see 22 goals and they go all crazy....asking for him to be called up to the Rangers. Not everyones game translated into the big leagues.

Brian Boyle had a 31 goal, 31 assist season with the monarchs(ahl) in his first season. Maybe he can help us w/ scoring we should call him up....OH WAIT....he's our 4th line center.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Ola

I am 100% sure that Dale Weise game would translate very well to the NHL. Like if you say that the "sum" of Weise game in the AHL is "65", it would probably be "60" in the NHL.

Is the fact that it would translate well enough to get him to the NHL then? Thats not a given. But I like him. I think he is a good prospect. The reason for why I like him, is that he does what he does good really well.

He plays a simple game and drives hard to the net. Skates a lot. If you say more about him, you are pretty much delivering false info.There are 100's of players out side the NHL who can a do a helluva lot more then he can on a hockey rink. Probably 1000's. But what Weise does, he does well. And what he does well, works in the NHL too.

In the end, its safe to say that he still is on the outside looking in. But he have potential to become like a 3rd lineer in the NHL who can ship in 20 goals and create some havoc.

Take a Corey Locke for example -- whats he so good at? He is great with the puck in the attacking zone. Does that translate well to the NHL? No, not at all. Many of the best playmakers and snipers aren't in the NHL. Whats hard in the NHL is to get into a situation where you have the puck on your stick, with time and space, in the attacking zone. Whats hard is to create chances, not to do something with them.

Hence, a player like Corey Locke can score 120 pts in the AHL and 12 in the NHL.

But if you are really good at skating fast up the wing, and driving hard to the net -- it won't be much harder to do that in the NHL compared to the AHL. Ryan Callahan is a good example of that. And in the NHL, Dale Weise could score many of the goals like a Antoine Vermette or Chris Kelly scores, while Corey Locke couldn't.

Last edited by Ola: 03-13-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I am very confident that Weise will be a good fourth liner in the NHL, with the potential to be an effective third liner that scores about 15 a year.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
They see 22 goals and they go all crazy....asking for him to be called up to the Rangers. Not everyones game translated into the big leagues.
And not every kid who does well in the AHL who isn't a star in the NHL by age 21 isn't going to automatically be a bust or relegated to a career minor leaguer. I think you are way off on your prediction of Weise. he has the tools and is right on track to being a serviceable NHLer.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:49 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am 100% sure that Dale Weise game would translate very well to the NHL. Like if you say that the "sum" of Weise game in the AHL is "65", it would probably be "60" in the NHL.

Is the fact that it would translate well enough to get him to the NHL then? Thats not a given. But I like him. I think he is a good prospect. The reason for why I like him, is that he does what he does good really well.

He plays a simple game and drives hard to the net. Skates a lot. If you say more about him, you are pretty much delivering false info.There are 100's of players out side the NHL who can a do a helluva lot more then he can on a hockey rink. Probably 1000's. But what Weise does, he does well. And what he does well, works in the NHL too.

In the end, its safe to say that he still is on the outside looking in. But he have potential to become like a 3rd lineer in the NHL who can ship in 20 goals and create some havoc.

Take a Corey Locke for example -- whats he so good at? He is great with the puck in the attacking zone. Does that translate well to the NHL? No, not at all. Many of the best playmakers and snipers aren't in the NHL. Whats hard in the NHL is to get into a situation where you have the puck on your stick, with time and space, in the attacking zone. Whats hard is to create chances, not to do something with them.

Hence, a player like Corey Locke can score 120 pts in the AHL and 12 in the NHL.

But if you are really good at skating fast up the wing, and driving hard to the net -- it won't be much harder to do that in the NHL compared to the AHL. Ryan Callahan is a good example of that. And in the NHL, Dale Weise could score many of the goals like a Antoine Vermette or Chris Kelly scores, while Corey Locke couldn't.
Great post as usual Ola. Very fair assesment.

Old
03-14-2010, 07:11 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think its a question of needs, in that Dale provides what the Rangers need and lack. A guy who plays physically, and can pot some goals as well. This usually results in said player being given a legit shot at making the club. If I recall correctly he had knee surgery and was doing rehab which is the most likely reason he hasn't been more on the radar.

as far as the OP goes, if you make a post such as Mr X 2.0 and then get blasted for it, perhaps it was a poor post in the first place. I mean unless you are post padding and don't care about substance to any real degree...

so one person's opinion is that Dale will amount to nothing more than an AHL/NHL tweener, while another says that weise meets the teams needs and so will get the chance to prove himself.

I am hoping dale gets his shot, and takes advantage of it. After watching NY stand around while Gaborik drops the mitts with Carcillo I am all in favor of Dale being on the team.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Ola

donpaulo- I agree.

The big cloud on Weise's horizon though could be Chris Kreider. It wouldn't be easy for him to compete with a 20 y/o Kreider for a spot in NY...

...you got to earn it, but to some extent you also needs to be given a shot.

Old
03-14-2010, 09:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
donpaulo- I agree.

The big cloud on Weise's horizon though could be Chris Kreider. It wouldn't be easy for him to compete with a 20 y/o Kreider for a spot in NY...

I don't really see them being in any kind of competition. Kreider is the best hope for a top line forward on LW that the Rangers currently have in house; Weise is a bottom 6 RW candidate.

Last edited by jas: 03-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't really see them being in any kind of competition. Kreider is the best hope for a top line forward on LW that the Rangers currently have in house; Weise is a bottom 6 RW candidate.
But Kreider could definitely take away wing position on the bottom 2 lines (mostly 3rd line) for a couple of years.

Old
03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
But Kreider could definitely take away wing position on the bottom 2 lines (mostly 3rd line) for a couple of years.
Similar to Dubinsky when he first made the big club. Same could be said w/ Callahan. Eventually both made it up the depth charts from bottom 6 to top 6 forwards.

Although on a stanley cup champion team Dubinsky and Callahan are 3rd liners, IMO.

Old
03-14-2010, 10:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Ideally, Weise is a 4th RW, with 3rd line upside. What the Rangers should be hoping for is Weise to become someone like David Clarkson.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
donpaulo- I agree.

I don't think Weise and Kreider will have much to do with each other unless they become good buddies on the Rangers (hopefully!)

Kreider is going to spend at least another year or two playing NCAA or Junior hockey if he transfers and Weise should hopefully (you hear me Torts!) get a shot with the big club next season.

If Weise is still in the minors by the time Kreider is ready then that is not a good thing.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:35 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
i hope not. at this rate, he should be on pace to take drury's spot.

anyway, yeah, i hope sather doesn't go outside the organization and make a dumb signing on a 4th liner (lisin, boyle, voros, brashear, shelley). just give the spot to weise.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:43 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I don't see why Weise can't be a bottom 6 player at the NHL level... but then again, the same was said about Greg Moore on these same boards a couple to a few years ago, and he never panned out.

I hope for the best for Weise, I like his game, and you can never have enough players like that.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Some thoughts on this.

First, an admission. I am extremely high on Dale Weise. Both for his play and for his character. And I was never really a big fan of Moore's game, although I liked him personally and thought he was a good leader.

Okay, given the above, Weise's situation is not like Greg Moore's, who came into the AHL several years older than Weise (Moore, 22; Weise 20). Weise has more offensive upside and, in my opinion, is more like Callahan (who was 21 in his rookie AHL season, just like Weise is this year). Weise's drive, dogged determination, willingness to do anything for his team remind me of Callahan. Also remember that Callahan played on a better Hartford team during his time with the Wolf Pack.

Moore just did not have the same offensive upside (he had one dynamite offensive season, but did not repeat even when given the chance on a top six line), and Moore plays a more cerebral game than either Callahan or Weise.

All in all, I am sure that Weise will get a very good look next Fall.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

If we could have another Callahan-esque player, then sign me the ****up.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Ola

Compared to Greg Moore, I think Weise in general is actually slightly behind GM, BUT his strengths so to speak sticks out more then GM's.

Greg Moore have had 40 assists in the AHL. He is really aware defensively. I don't really see those qualitys in Dale Weise.

And natrually in comparision with Callahan too. He aint as verstaile.

The problem with Moore is that in the NHL, he dissapeared, he wasn't really good enough at anything to stick out. And that IMO illustrates the strength with Weise. What he is good at, he is darn good at, and would be in the NHL. Thats his reckless constant drive at the net.

Old
03-16-2010, 10:28 AM
KreiMeARiver
Fast has potential!

I've never seen him play so I can't judge his game, but I like net-crashing types.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I agree with the premise that Weise is most likely a 3rd/4th line kinda guy, but he is still young and can still develop. NY needs more guys like him and less fancy pants guys who don't finish their checks (hear me artem ?)

I think most on this board would agree that Dale's main challenge heading into next year is Slats throwing money at a vet to play 4th line minutes (voros/brash/etc)

The Clarkson comparison is apt, as I think Dale can score from the dots in, look for rebounds and deflections.

really looking forward to seeing him get a legit shot in NY blue

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote