HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really love the way he's been playing lately.

As I've said for a while: He's only a million overpaid. He's easily a 4M d-man in the NHL right now.

I love seeing him get pissed, too.
He has an edge at times which is great!

BTW, Who is that in your avatar?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Daisy Lowe.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
I really love the way he's been playing lately.

As I've said for a while: He's only a million overpaid. He's easily a 4M d-man in the NHL right now.

I love seeing him get pissed, too.
Throughout the second half of this season, yeah. Earlier this year he looked really slow and almost useless offensively. Hopefully he's increased his value enough that we can't dump him this offseason. I've almost gotten to the point where I don't consider him part of the "Terrible Three". Rozi is a little overpaid but not extremely so.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I'd say $3M, $3.5M at best. $4M is too much. If he'd play like he's been playing year-round, anyway. His consistency puts him somewhere between 2 and 2.8 million.

But tonight I can appreciate him, GREAT defense, GREAT passing, and GREAT bullet of a shot that ended up to be the game winner.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
ecemleafs

Shoot The Puck Rozy

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
TheRedressor

He looks like he is in better game shape. Usually he can't move out there.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:50 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
He looks like he is in better game shape. Usually he can't move out there.
It makes sense with the surgery he had in the offseason.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I'd say $3M, $3.5M at best. $4M is too much. If he'd play like he's been playing year-round, anyway. His consistency puts him somewhere between 2 and 2.8 million.

But tonight I can appreciate him, GREAT defense, GREAT passing, and GREAT bullet of a shot that ended up to be the game winner.
Thats really the crux of it aint it?

Play like today all the time and he's a bit overpaid but no-one would complain... or pay him 3M per yr. and today's game is a bargain.

I'm still not sold on him but he played great today. Flat out great.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:55 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Not a big fan of rozy...but one of his best games in a long time. Hope he can keep it up. He needs to use that shot of his more.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post

I hold him higher then that.

He makes a lot of small plays that don't look hard, but they are. He always turns up ice with the puck to make a play. He always makes the play even when shoulder to shoulder with the forechecker.

Now, its fair to say that last season he failed on not so few of those attempts. Like in 07, and lately, he didn't. But he still makes them, and that is really valuable. You can't find many/any UFA signings under 4m who have that in them. Like if you have a Aaron Ward, a Jeff Fingers, or any guy in that range -- what you get 9 out of 10 times in those situations is a puck shipped around the boards. 50% of those pucks sent around the boards probably ends up in direction at Henrik Lundqvist. Like, you see that it pays of a ton to get a delivered pass up ice instead. It have a great impact on his teams puck possession ability. And that pass won't stand out much, not many will applaude him for them. And like if he chokes and gives the puck away and a shot is put on Lundqvist, it will look a helluva lot worse then if he had cleared the puck off the boards to a D who put it on Lundqvist -- but the result would still be the same. Hence he is exposed to some unfair critisism.

Rozi isn't a PPQB. But he was our best PPQB last season. That certainly brings down his value a lot, that he can't run a PP. But, its not fair let that shade his entire game either. Which I think was done last year for example. He was horrible on the PP, not so much at all 5 on 5.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Rozy seriously needs to rip the shots off on goal, when he has the chance... It looks like he's afraid to take the shot on the PP especially.

It's strange to say the least, considering how hard and accurate his shot is at times.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
3M a year? You guys don't really understand unrestricted free agency, I guess.

Rozsival is worth 4M a year in today's NHL. At the very least.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
3M a year? You guys don't really understand unrestricted free agency, I guess.

Rozsival is worth 4M a year in today's NHL. At the very least.
Yeah, he'd absolutely get $4MM as a UFA right now.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Bottom-pairing rookie to top-minute, first pairing d-man in 2 and a half seasons and you think he's developing slowly?

He's set a career high in points this season, is averaging 23 minutes a night, and is regularly matched up against some of the best players in the world; including arguably the top-3 players in the NHL in AO, Crosby and Malkin.

If that's not even "1/5 of what everyone's hoped," I have to wonder just how many fans were expecting the second coming of Bobby Orr.

Staal's just inconsistent this season, more so than the previous two. I have no issues with his development, but he's made some horrible mistakes in 2010 which he rarely made in either of the previous two.

He'll be fine.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:39 PM
free0717

@ a $5 million/year cap hit, he has to play alot more games like tonite for me not to mind him. If he is not in game shape due to injury, IR him and play someone from Hartford.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
levski87

He has been playing great D for quite some time now.

His main problem is that he doesn't shoot enough.

The guys who can't create offense by themselves (drury, cally, avery) would benefit greatly if Rozsival just shot the puck on net more.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Staal's just inconsistent this season, more so than the previous two. I have no issues with his development, but he's made some horrible mistakes in 2010 which he rarely made in either of the previous two.

He'll be fine.

He's making the mistakes that should be expected of a young, developing d-man. A lot of his gaffs were prevented by the structured defense of Renney's system.

He's adapted well to the style Torts likes to implement. Many of those early season mistakes are now a thing of the past.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:06 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's making the mistakes that should be expected of a young, developing d-man. A lot of his gaffs were prevented by the structured defense of Renney's system.

He's adapted well to the style Torts likes to implement. Many of those early season mistakes are now a thing of the past.
I agree. But he needs to have a career year next season across the board. Or at least something close to that.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Gardner McKay
R.I.P. Parabola

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I agree. But he needs to have a career year next season across the board. Or at least something close to that.
Has his minutes and responsibilites not increased as well? Hes gonna be liable to make a few mistakes, its normal. If they keep up, thats a different story.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The reason he is hesitant is because his shot is only good when he tees it up perfectly.

The second PP unit needs to revolve around setting him up for a clean shot, then collapsing on the net for a potential rebound.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The second PP unit needs to revolve around setting him up for a clean shot, then collapsing on the net for a potential rebound.
Except when Rozy shoots like that, he shoots to score, not for a rebound. His shot misses the net a lot, so collapsing for a rebound is not going to work very well.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Some Rozy Praise

I haven't posted in this thread until now but I'll give credit where its due to Rozy, who's turned his season around. Something that looked more unrealistic than a date with Rachel Specter. Since late December, his play has steadied. Yesterday was one of his best games. Not just cause he finally blasted one in for a PPG but bc Rozsival was engaged. Something he's been doing more of, shoving guys away from the net. A refreshing change. It's real easy to bag on him for his shortcomings but the guy gives an honest effort while logging big minutes.

Not to harp on it too much but instead of recapping what was a very satisfying win over the hated Flyers, I wound up doing a column depicting his rare power play goal along with how well he played. It kinda wound up morphing into a rant about our D and what must change moving forward.

The main issue aside from cost is that he's asked to be a top 2-3. If our D was stronger, Rozy as a 4-5 would be much better, speaking to the real problem. Marc Staal is by far the team's best with Dan Girardi and Rozsival taking turns as the second. For a change, all three had strong games with DG chipping in a helper and a few blocked shots. Until rookie Mike Del Zotto matures, it's a work in progress. Whether Girardi's a part of it all depends on what the club chooses to do with upcoming RFA.

One can't illustrate how much Tortorella leans on the top four due to Redden and Matt Gilroy's struggles. Never has a bottom pair more negatively impacted a team's defense.

Pic Of Day: It's A Rozsival PPG

Keep it up Rozy!

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Rozy seriously needs to rip the shots off on goal, when he has the chance... It looks like he's afraid to take the shot on the PP especially.

It's strange to say the least, considering how hard and accurate his shot is at times.

One of the best slappers in the league, he has to use it more, yesterday's goal was a rocket...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:50 AM
mullichicken25

i don't know what his deal is with the fall months

this guy starts off every season brutal, gets all the fans to hate him, and then quitely transforms into their 2nd best defenseman and plays lights-out for the 2nd half of the season

this has to be at least his 3rd season doing this, right?

His contract is rough and he does make mistakes, but he is a textbook example of an underated player and ignorant fans

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
His contract is rough and he does make mistakes, but he is a textbook example of an underated player and ignorant fans
I agree, they are picking on the wrong guy, I also like the way he has picked up his body checking lately...in one shift last night he flattened Hartnell 3 times...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote