HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Avery Benching a sign of a divided team?

Old
03-14-2010, 07:30 AM
blue68

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to blue68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Then how come every time I turn on a visit team's broadcast I hear the commentators gushing about how good Hank is? I live in South Carolina so I get SportsSouth and last night the Atlanta guys were losing their loads over him.

Honestly question with no amount of disrespect at all: Did he not want to do a signing with you or come to eat at your restaurant or something like that? I just don't understand your beef with the guy...especially if you call yourself a Rangers fan.

The other night when the Rangers lost 2-1 to the Sabres, you wrote on your Twitter something to the effect of "Hank is average and got outplayed again." How exactly is giving up two goals "average and getting outplayed?" Hank stopped 30 of 32 while Miller stop 35 of 36. Is four more saves really outplaying a guy?

I can't count how many games he has single handedly won for the Rangers since he came into the league. He basically pushed the series against Washington to game seven by himself last year. The guy has been a Vezina finalist three times.
Would that fact alone point to the fact that experts believe him to be a top 3 goalie (or 4 in the year there was a tie and four finalists)?

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:19 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
dump him, open up about 1.2 mil in space by replacing him with Weise next season. his 9 goal 25 point season aint gonna be hard to replace.

Most overrated player that has been on broadway since petr prucha.
Speaking of overrated though--I think you're missing someone more overrated. Our captain Drury has the same amount of points as Avery but is making over $7 mil per. We'd be a lot better off if that money were available rather than the $2 mil that Avery makes. Ditto with Redden and Rozsival--neither of whom are adding much offense either though Rozsival's play in his own end has picked up a bit he's not worth $5 mil per.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:28 AM
eco's bones

Henrik is a fantastic goalie but he's a fantastic goalie who is not going to make the playoffs this year--mostly because we have a **** defense some of whom aren't capable of playing the kind of game their coach has determined they will play. The Rangers need some D who will stay at home and make safe plays--they need to beef up toughness and nastiness. What would help them more than anything is an Orpik or a Colin White type. The idea that all our d have to be puck moving and offensive minded and pressuring the play in the offensive zone all the time is absurd considering the talent level of not only the defense but the rest of the team. Tort's motto 'Safe is death' has become 'Not safe is death' for us this season.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Well, seems like Torts knows his players and team a little more then Dagoon does.

What a response by Avery today. Wish Torts would have sat him sooner.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Well, seems like Torts knows his players and team a little more then Dagoon does.

Yeah. Torts has no idea what goes on in the locker room. He should ask dagoon how to coach.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I hate to pull an "I told you so" but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'll bet Avery has a hell of a game tomorrow because of this... not sure if that's intentional on the part of Torts but we NEED Avery to be AVERY tomorrow.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:49 PM
haveandare

Quote:

But...I thought he was a bully?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Fire Brunet*

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
So benching him is what scored 2 goals? HpNYR and Sting you both are so right I hide and know nothing about hockey and your both Gods. I will never question u again and as a matter of fact can you tell me where Jimmy Hoffa is or the next power ball numbers? The benching of Avery was horse sh!# and because he scored today is because Avery 99% of the time plays all out and hard. He is a heart and soul guy the fans love and he would have scored today even if played vs Atlanta he always wears out Filthy. The last time Torts benched was in the playoffs and that worked out well also . Torts is God and you 2 win. Now just to the 2 of you I am fine and a big boy and really love posting here but if you want to take these personal attacks to a private setting we can here is my email nwapropencil@yahoo.com and dagoon44 on twitter where I can really tell u how I feel about u 2 great fellows

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Levitate

dude how come you always get so pissed about "personal attacks" when you do the same stuff and then act all hurt that someone responds. Then you get mad and say "take it to PMs". You put people down and call them names all the time and then get mad when they respond in kind.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:

Part of the complaint from most people about Avery sitting was that there were several players who deserved it more. If Torts scratches them and gets a great response the next time they play, then we can give some credit.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
dude how come you always get so pissed about "personal attacks" when you do the same stuff and then act all hurt that someone responds. Then you get mad and say "take it to PMs". You put people down and call them names all the time and then get mad when they respond in kind.
BS
this is so not true.I get almost every post I make picked apart and no matter if I am dead on or not Told I am wrong. I have chosen for well over a month to limit my posting here. The fact this guy waits for me to post something just to pick it apart is odd. Yea I hate torts more then Hitler I at least have a opinion and don't waiver or change because it is kool. Wait till the truth comes out when Torts gets fired i will have the last laugh

Old
03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Easy guys. Let's discuss Avery and his benching, not each other. If you guys want to ***** at one another, take it to PM.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Dagoon is right, the team really did looks divided today. Looked like a bunch of guys trying REALLY hard to win, and a bunch of other guys trying REALLY REALLY hard to win.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Levitate

All I'm saying is that your posting is inflammatory to some degree and it rubs people the wrong way. Whether it's intentional or not. If someone disagrees with you, even if it's not in a harsh way, you have a tendency to snap back at them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Easy guys. Let's discuss Avery and his benching, not each other. If you guys want to ***** at one another, take it to PM.
bah! :-P

seriously though, I'm waiting for those ppl who killed Torts for his decision to bench a non-factor Avery who played like a man possessed today in a HUGE win for us to perhaps admit it might have been the right smart move.

Accountability to vets, who woulda thunk that it works.

Old
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
BS
this is so not true.I get almost every post I make picked apart and no matter if I am dead on or not Told I am wrong. I have chosen for well over a month to limit my posting here. The fact this guy waits for me to post something just to pick it apart is odd. Yea I hate torts more then Hitler I at least have a opinion and don't waiver or change because it is kool. Wait till the truth comes out when Torts gets fired i will have the last laugh
Torts being fired after this season or in another 3 or 4 years?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Dagoon44

Hank seemed pleased with Avery responding. Like I said on the first post Sean is friends with the bigtime players on this team F'ing with him is dangerous in the room. Admit or not but Torts is playing with fire

Old
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
bah! :-P

seriously though, I'm waiting for those ppl who killed Torts for his decision to bench a non-factor Avery who played like a man possessed today in a HUGE win for us to perhaps admit it might have been the right smart move.

Accountability to vets, who woulda thunk that it works.
Okay see my post above then. Why was it Avery? In his time with the Rangers he usually seems to really show up down the stretch and against division rivals, like he did today, regardless of being scratched last game or not.

If you want accountability from vets why seek it from Avery? Other Ranger vets have been way worse this season compared to how they're expected to play. When Torts starts to get something out of them then that's good coaching.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Okay see my post above then. Why was it Avery? In his time with the Rangers he usually seems to really show up down the stretch and against division rivals, like he did today, regardless of being scratched last game or not.

If you want accountability from vets why seek it from Avery? Other Ranger vets have been way worse this season compared to how they're expected to play. When Torts starts to get something out of them then that's good coaching.
Maybe Torts knows that Avery is one of the few vets that might actually respond, rather than pouting and continuing to suck it up.

Old
03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
NYRbrah

Who do we want to fire now? this is all getting a little confusing

NYRbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

What other vets other than Redden can you afford to bench? Sean's game is such that a benching would fuel him. Tort's just did that and timed it perfectly.

Benching Rozsy won't do anything, he's a key part back there. Same goes for Girardi, Staal etc. Benching Redden hasn't done a damn thing. The guy has just lost his game. There's not much you can do...he is what he is.

But Avery....we all know the avery of the last few weeks hasn't been the top tier Avery we're oh so familiar with. Torts saw the room for improvement, made the benching and avery comes up w/ this game. It was part tactical and part Avery not being his usual self. John knows that Avery is the type of player that you can do good by benching, but the timing must be perfect. He did it against a lackluster atlanta team which got aves all riled up against a big philly matchup. Clutch coaching by Torts.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Avery has been somewhere between invisible and more or less a non factor for probably 25 out of his last 30 games. You can't sit all your vets at once, and they dont have any option on D to sit a defenseman.

So, which other forward besides avery do you want to sit?

Prospal? of course not
Gaborik? no
Jokinen? nope, but he hasnt exactly done anything to make me like him either.
Callahan? Dubi? no
Drury? hes putting up some points now AND hes playing great on the PK, hard to justify sitting him, overpaid or not.
Anisimov? id go HELL no on this one since I think AA might be our best defensive forward.

after that you start getting into players who are worse than Avery, in which case they aren't really meant for this argument.

So, besides Redden, and possibly Girardi, there really arent any other players i want to send a message to. Problem is, we have nobody to play in Redden or Girardis place, especially when you consider how green and vulnerable our defense already is.
I would also argue that of all the players on our roster, no players has been begging for a benching more than Sean. Not just because of how mediocre he has been playing, but because of how capable he is of being an impact night in and night out.

I think sean needs a guy like Shanahan to get in his ear and make him the player we've seen throughout his tenure here...with no Shanahan here, and a comatose Drury leading the way, its up to Torts to do the talking...he clearly has had many sit downs with Sean and it hasnt worked. He benched him, and now Sean put on a show, even if you take away his 2 goals he was clearly the best player on the ice.

Old
03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Okay see my post above then. Why was it Avery?
the reasoning isn't what is important, the results are.

that being said, when was the last time we saw Avery not show up to a game against Philly?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm Avery's biggest fan, but his benching was kinda "meh" for me. I wasn't happy about it, but whatever. Sometimes he needs to be set straight... Also, as long as Torts is around, it's gonna happen.