HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LeBrun: Plekanec staying in Montreal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
  #26
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,595
vCash: 50
He'd be smart to wait until July 1. Not too many good center options available in free agency.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
  #27
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala
 
Renegade Stylings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,821
vCash: 3333
Good for them. An actual player that might justify a big contract. Let's just hope he keeps up his end of the bargain after signing.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
  #28
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Those teams have their fair share of bad contracts as well...
Ottawa, you can really only argue:
- Kovalev at 5M (which I think is fine, a bit much, but not "bad")
- Cheechoo at 3M (AHL)
- Leclaire 3.8M (jury is still out)
- Kelly 2M (I'm fine with this)
- Fisher 4.2M (I'm fine with this too)

Who else?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:15 PM
  #29
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,014
vCash: 500
It must be relieving to have a GM who actually discusses contracts during the season

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:28 PM
  #30
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Ottawa, you can really only argue:
- Kovalev at 5M (which I think is fine, a bit much, but not "bad")
- Cheechoo at 3M (AHL)
- Leclaire 3.8M (jury is still out)
- Kelly 2M (I'm fine with this)
- Fisher 4.2M (I'm fine with this too)

Who else?
Well i didn't intend it to be a pick on Ottawa post...really i think most teams have at least a few bad contracts.

Obviously Cheechoo and LeClaire are flat out bad contracts. I also think that Fisher and Spezza are probably a bit overpaid but they are pretty good contributors so the deals arn't horrible by any stretch.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
  #31
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Those teams have their fair share of bad contracts as well...
Difference is a "bad contract" like Hordichuk's $700K is only $200K over the league minimum. Anything else? Bernier at $2.5 million? Johnson at $1.1 million? At least they're still on the roster unlike Laraque. M. Schneider was a bad contract that was corrected by being dealt for a late round pick.

It's more than whether a contract is "bad" - it's the cap hit that's more relevant (eg., you can afford a few Hordichuk bad contracts vs a Gomez contract).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:49 PM
  #32
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,134
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Those teams have their fair share of bad contracts as well...
Vancouver
Bieksa ($3.750)
Salo ($3.500)
Demitra ($4.000)

Only three noteworthy bad contracts in Vancouver and there is something of an excuse for all three. Bieksa has been injured, albeit suffering a down year. Salo is always injured which is the sole reason his contract his a slight hindrance and Demitra's comes off upon season's end. Given the success the Canucks have had in spite of injuries to their defensive line and the remainder of their contracts, they would probably rank in the top five for superior salary management. Gillis is frankly a genius and if he signs Kesler under five million that notion if only further affirmed.

Edit: I suppose you could include Bernier who I neglected. That would be the only nigh defenseless bad contract in Vancouver.

Calgary
Kotalik ($3.000)
Stajan ($3.500)
Bourque ($4.000)
Bouwmeester ($6.800)

Calgary has more of an argument although I believe Stajan could turn into a reasonable contract once this disastrous year concludes. Bouwmeester is having an off season alongside a vast majority of the Calgary roster, similar to Bourque given the salary. Kotalik is definitely overpaid however in the Flames' defense the two worst contracts under their belt now belong to Toronto and New York. I question the Sutters sanity, especially with the New York trade although I ultimately agree moving Phaneuf was a wise decision. With the likelihood of the Flames bottoming out, I believe they are in need of a rebuild, perhaps more of a makeshift variation in comparison to say what Montreal attempted which begs to inquiry why Sutter took on excess dollars when Jokinen's five million was coming off the books.

And Ottawa has been covered. Suffice to say Calgary is the worst of the three and Vancouver has no business being managed amongst either, as noted they have phenomenal salary management, barring a potential Kesler and/or Raymond overpayment.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
  #33
Paper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Calgary
Kotalik ($3.000)
Stajan ($3.500)
Bourque ($4.000)
Bouwmeester ($6.800)

Calgary has more of an argument although I believe Stajan could turn into a reasonable contract once this disastrous year concludes. Bouwmeester is having an off season alongside a vast majority of the Calgary roster, similar to Bourque given the salary.
Kotalik is overpaid, no argument here. The others listed I would argue against them being "bad" contracts. Regardless of what numbers Bouwmeester has he's a stud and deserves the money. Stajan is iffy but I think he gets more on the open market, not a great contract but wouldn't say bad. Bourque (3.33M cap hit next year) is fair cap hit/money wise. If the Bourque-Stajan-Iginla line remains intact for next year Bourque could be reaching towards 30 goals which would make this contract great (for the time being). It's the length that might make it a bad contract, or injury problems.

However, Langkow (4.5), Hagman (3.0), Sarich (3.6) and Staios(2.7) are contracts for next year I'd find much harder to argue against them being called bad contracts. I do like what I've seen from Staios so far but probably would call it a bad contract if he was still with the Oilers especially since he's going to be 37.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:22 PM
  #34
The Vengabus
Registered User
 
The Vengabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Vancouver

Edit: I suppose you could include Bernier who I neglected. That would be the only nigh defenseless bad contract in Vancouver.
To be fair, you have to keep in mind that was a matched offer sheet, which are always above the appropriate value for the player.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
  #35
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,876
vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
aw man I was wishing sather would sign him =/
No, hes Scotty Blowmez 2.0

Maybe if Slats did sign him we could then trade him back to MTL, take almost no salary back, and get their top prospect again. That was fun.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:42 PM
  #36
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
No, hes Scotty Blowmez 2.0

Maybe if Slats did sign him we could then trade him back to MTL, take almost no salary back, and get their top prospect again. That was fun.
When did the Rangers get Subban?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
  #37
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
I wouldn't be too excited.

That means that the habs will have two bad contracts for their centers.


Plekanec is going to get 5-6 mill cap hit.
No they won't. Plekanec is a pretty complete player worth almost every dime. You don't know anything about hockey and have never seen him play.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
  #38
bhuya71
Registered User
 
bhuya71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
No, hes Scotty Blowmez 2.0

Maybe if Slats did sign him we could then trade him back to MTL, take almost no salary back, and get their top prospect again. That was fun.
Trying to bait much?

Pleks earning under 5 mil imo is fair and 5.5 is slight overpayment...but 20 goals for 4 straight seasons, excellent two way player, pk, and min 40 assists per season...doesnt sound like gomez's contract and much more consistent goal scorer than gomez...


bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:13 PM
  #39
chilly34
Registered User
 
chilly34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 617
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Vancouver


Calgary
Kotalik ($3.000)
Stajan ($3.500)
Bourque ($4.000)
Bouwmeester ($6.800)

Calgary has more of an argument although I believe Stajan could turn into a reasonable contract once this disastrous year concludes. Bouwmeester is having an off season alongside a vast majority of the Calgary roster, similar to Bourque given the salary. Kotalik is definitely overpaid however in the Flames' defense the two worst contracts under their belt now belong to Toronto and New York. I question the Sutters sanity, especially with the New York trade although I ultimately agree moving Phaneuf was a wise decision. With the likelihood of the Flames bottoming out, I believe they are in need of a rebuild, perhaps more of a makeshift variation in comparison to say what Montreal attempted which begs to inquiry why Sutter took on excess dollars when Jokinen's five million was coming off the books.
kotalik, stagan and bouwmeester deserve to be in the "bad contract" list, but rene bourque contract isnt that bad.

he really earned the money he got with 2 exceptional seasons in calgary, he given a little more time, can be a 30 goal scorer.

chilly34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:14 PM
  #40
EternallyLeafs
doris
 
EternallyLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Burlington
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Trying to bait much?

Pleks earning under 5 mil imo is fair and 5.5 is slight overpayment...but 20 goals for 4 straight seasons, excellent two way player, pk, and min 40 assists per season...doesnt sound like gomez's contract and much more consistent goal scorer than gomez...

I definitely agree, I think it would be a steal for someone to sign Pleks in the 4.5 - 5 mill range.

He can also be a little bit of a pest too which is always a good thing.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:20 PM
  #41
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
No, hes Scotty Blowmez 2.0

Maybe if Slats did sign him we could then trade him back to MTL, take almost no salary back, and get their top prospect again. That was fun.
Scotty Blowmez sez hai to Redden and Drury, and then laughs.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:31 PM
  #42
Natedawg
Lars Eller
 
Natedawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Getting plek for anything under 5 million is great value. He is one of the leagues premier two-way forwards. Albeit still underrated at times.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
  #43
ginovegas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Montreal may have some expensive contracts but I don't think any of the guys attached to them are bad.

Hamerlik's contract stands out but that was the price to pay 4 years ago. He's a great #3 or 4 man but costs too much on the cap.

Spacek at 3.8 may be expensive, but he was Buffalo's # 1 guy last year and has been really playing well lately. Especially since Markov is back. He is now playing the role he was hired for.

We inherited Gomez's contract, he's expensive but he's looking awesome now that he has linemates to play with. He has 4 years left and the last 2 are at 5.5 and 4.5. Unfortunately the hit is for more than 7.

Cammalleri and Gionta are probably 1 miilion each overpaid, but I'm glad they are on the team.

Gill is problem at 2.5. He does a good job on the P-kill but I could probably do without him in 2010-11

laraque was a total waste and we still owe him 1.5 for next season

We also have some very underpaid guys
Pleks at 2.5
Gorges at 1.1
Pouilot at .800
Halak at .775

In a perfect world we get rid of hamerlik 5.5
Get rid of Gill at 2.5
Mara is gone 1.675
Save .750 on Laraque because we wrote him off
Metro will be replaced 1.0
MAB is questoionnable at .750

So that would be over 12 million to play + we have 2.5 in space, so that 14.5 to play with
2 million goes to Pleks 4.75
1.2 million to Halak 2.0
1.2 to Pouilot 2.0

thats less than 5 million with over 9 left to spend
2 million to fix some of the other UFA salaries
Probably will need 2 million more for Markov in following year
And will probably deal a goalie end of next season

SO the key is Hamerlik

Lineup 2010/11
Pouilot / Gomez / Gionta
Cammalleri / Plekanek / AK
Moen / Morre / Sk
Darche / Lapierre / Pyatt-MAB

Markov / O'Bryne
Spacek / Subban
Gorges / Carle or Webber or a free agent

I like it and we can always make a move if needed

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:16 PM
  #44
Killericon
Registered User
 
Killericon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pens4life34 View Post
kotalik, stagan and bouwmeester deserve to be in the "bad contract" list, but rene bourque contract isnt that bad.

he really earned the money he got with 2 exceptional seasons in calgary, he given a little more time, can be a 30 goal scorer.
Though Regehr is having a bad season, him and Iginla are two of the best contract in the NHL.

Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.