HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Questions about Bauer One95 & RBK 10k sticks

Old
03-13-2010, 03:16 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Questions about Bauer One95 & RBK 10k sticks

I am going to purchase both of these sticks and want some opinions. I cannot decide which stick would be better for me and I need to order by mail order.

I am 6 foot one inches tall - about 6'3" in skates. How will I know if these sticks are tall enough for me? Many sticks that I have seen in shops were much too small.

Also, what is a good flex? I weigh ten stone or 65 kilos.

I am starting a new season and want to own more than one stick in case one gets broken during a game.

Last edited by night-timer: 03-13-2010 at 03:27 AM.
night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:16 AM
SouthpawTRK

You are going to hear a lot of different opinions on which of the two models sticks are better.

I personally would look at options such as flex, curves, lengths, shafts shapes, etc...It's not to say that the ONE95 is better than a 10K, it's more personal preference relative to the stick's attributes. The ONE95 has a higher kick point, geared for power shots (slap shots and one timers), while the 10K has a lower kick point for quicker releases on wrist shots and snap shots.

As far as length goes, the general rule of thumb is to have the stick be up to your chin (in skates). However, that is a rule of thumb and some players might like a longer or shorter stick; once again personal preference. A forward may want to have a shorter stick for handling, while a defenseman might want to have a longer stickfor poke checks.

As far as flex goes, the general rule of thumb is half of your body weight. However, just like the length of your stick, it's all personal preference. Ovechkin who weighs over 200lbs generally uses sticks that are far less than 100 flex. It is reported that he uses sticks that have a flex ranging in the 70's.

Hopefully this is helpful and have fun with your new sticks.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Both sticks will be 59" from the heel to the end of the shaft, which appears to be the new "Standard" down from 60" of a couple years ago(Which was up from 57" + 3" plug previously).

I'm your height and I cut at least an inch from my stick, depending on lie, I might go down to about 57".

Flex is subjective to your preferences, strength and most importantly your form. I find that 85-95 flex sticks are the best for me, depending on how the stick performs. I've also been known to go up to 100 flex or 110 for a standard shaft based on performance and length of the stick in question. A good amount of my sticks are 95 flex though, which tends to work well for me.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:29 PM
RichNash61

I have a 10k stick I love it. As a winger i dont get alot of slapshots, so this was a great stick for me. I dont really like a "huge" curve but i found I liked Ignila curve pattern alot better than Sakic. My shot seem to rool alot with the Sakic blade. I would really think about the RBK 10K!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:17 PM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
had the 10k for about 2 games now and love it. 10 times nicer than my vapor XXV

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Saved*

Question 1) No, it won't make you a better player.
Question 2) No, you won't pick shelf with them.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
RichNash61

IF you have a good product that you like-it will gain you confidence!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:27 PM
ju87

I recently broke my One95 after about a year of use and bought a 10k.

Both are great sticks and I can't say that one is better than the other. The flex points are quite different in feel... the 10k feels stiffer due to the lower kick-point.

As regards shaft shape, I prefer the 10k. The corners are more rounded. The One95 feels more boxy. I got a non-grip One95 and a grip 10k... I prefer the grip.

The blade on the One95 gives great puck-feel and seems a bit stiffer than the 10k. The 10K blade's feel is good also, but the edge goes to the One95.

Whichever stick you get, you won't really go wrong.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
night-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
The ONE95 has a higher kick point, geared for power shots (slap shots and one timers), while the 10K has a lower kick point for quicker releases on wrist shots and slap shots.
I'm frightened of sounding naive, but since this is only happening in the online cyber world, it isn't too bad:

What exactly is a 'one timer' ?!?

I thought it was a slapshot, but maybe not....

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
I'm frightened of sounding naive, but since this is only happening in the online cyber world, it isn't too bad:

What exactly is a 'one timer' ?!?

I thought it was a slapshot, but maybe not....
A one timer is indeed a slapshot, but a variation of the traditional slapshot. Ideally the one timer starts with a pass from one teammate to another. The teammate who the pass is intended for, will take a slapshot, without settling the puck on their blade.

Hopefully I described this correctly, but perhaps a senior member can chime in and better clarify on a one timer.

Old
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

A one-timer doesn't have to be a slapshot. It's basically just receiving a pass and shooting in the same motion. Rather than stopping the pass you're shooting as it comes to you, slapshot or otherwise.

Most of these are one-timers:

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
A one-timer doesn't have to be a slapshot. It's basically just receiving a pass and shooting in the same motion. Rather than stopping the pass you're shooting as it comes to you, slapshot or otherwise.

Most of these are one-timers:
Thanks for the clarification on the term one timer; I knew that my answer was missing something. Thanks also for the youtube vid, great examples.