HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

need goalie info please

Old
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Barney Stinson76

vCash: 500
need goalie info please

read about Tuomas Tarkki, Engren, Hivonen, Rynnas and Ortio at HF!

So who would be a NHL goalie one day??
Who has the makings? And would be there another Backstrom?

thanks

Barney Stinson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post

thanks
Tuomas Tarkki is actually the older brother of Iiro Tarkki - it is Iiro that is rumoured to be headed to North America. Tuomas actually played university hockey in the US and split the 2005-2006 season between the AHL and ECHL before returning to Finland. He's done well for Karpat but just turned 30 so there's some question as to whether he'd return.

One veteran goalie who some think might be headed to the NHL - but not mentioned in the HF story since he's thirty-two - is Petri Vehanan. After leading Lukko to a great start this year, he signed a contract to play in Russia with Ak Bars but some think there may be something in the works for next year.

Another interesting prospect - again too old to be considered for HF purposes - is JyP's Pekka Tuokkala. Tuokkala, 26, and timeless veteran Sinuhe Wallinheimo - who played for the University of Denver in the early 1990's - have been a very good two-some for the past three years or so.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Juzmo
|Ässät|Stars|Sabres|

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post

thanks
About everything was explained there in the article (with some tiny errors) but what do I think?

Most likely to move soon to North-America: Iiro Tarkki and Jussi Rynnäs

Both have had much interest in the NHL what I have heard and read.

Have much potential: Harri Säteri, Antti Raanta, Atte Engren and Joni Ortio.

Säteri the strongest candidate. Raanta and Engren probably will need one more year. We'll see about Ortie a little later...

Just not feeling it: Niko Hovinen

I doupt NHL at this point but time will tell. I would guess that he will develop in to a fairly good SM-liiga goalie.

Wild cards: Petri Vehanen (Pekka Tuokkola and Teemu Lassila)

All three are solid good. Vehanen has had a great past year so he's the most likely to NA from these three.

SM-liiga goalie stats: http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilastot/koko...i&b=rs&s=09-10

Translated (from left to right): Position, name, team, games, total time, wins, "ties", losses, saves, goals scored on, shutouts (Rynnäs really has 3), goals/60 minutes, save%, win%, games that the goalie replaced the one who has been switched, goalie games which he has been switched, games he has started in goal

Last edited by Juzmo: 03-03-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:43 AM
FinHockey
Nuke the whales

vCash: 50
Ässät's Jussi Rynnäs has IMO been the best goalie in SM-lliga this season. Only Vehanen has been better but he plays in KHL now. And this is coming from a guy who hates Ässät.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Tormentor

I'm fairly certain that Jussi Rynnäs and Harri Säteri will move to NA for next season. Petri Vehanen is a wild card as mentioned above; it's possible that some team with salary cap problems will offer him a cheap one way contract to fill up the remaining roster spots.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:52 AM
TTTimra

Goalies 92 borne for draft 2010?

Hi,

What about -92 borne goalies from Finland?
When taking a look at Finnish U18 rooster in international tournaments, there seams to be two goalies playing more than the other.
Aittokallio and this Iilahti.
What do you know about especially Iilahti
Moved away from Vaasa to Espoo two years ago, and still doing well.
There seams to be a good goalie training in Espoo, quite many top goalies from Blues, good scouting!

Stats from international tournament are good.
Size is also on a good level 186 / 80, typical Finnish athlete.

Is there a potential draft for the coming years?

TTT

TTTimra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTimra View Post
What about -92 borne goalies from Finland?
I don’t understand that much about goaltending, but in my humble opinion Aittokallio will get drafted next summer. Iilahti has a chance of getting drafted as well, especially if he gets to play at the World U18 Championships and performs well. Iilahti wasn’t listed on Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings, but I'd be a surprised if he wouldn’t make the final rankings.

Another interesting Finnish/American 92-born goalie is Christopher Gibson who plays for Chicoutimi Sagueneens in the QMJHL, but he's a 2011 draft prospect.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

Another interesting Finnish/American 92-born goalie is Christopher Gibson who plays for Chicoutimi Sagueneens in the QMJHL, but he's a 2011 draft prospect.
Didn't realize he was Finnish-American. Though I know if he stays in the QMJHL next year he will be considered a junior hockey prospect for Hockey's Futures purposes.

Ville Kolppanen is another Finnish goalie playing in Canadian Junior with Lethbridge in the WHL. However, like Gibson I don't think he is draft eligible until 2011. To this point, he hasn't been as effective as Gibson.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:39 AM
TTTimra

need goalie info please

When taking a look at Central Scouting list of Finnish goalies, the list includes Härma.
That is a little bit odd, he has no been involved in U18 team more than one time(game). In my opinion he is too small (170 cm) for playing on a high international level. Is he maintaining on the Central Scouting list from long time ago? The list seams to be not updated.

Goalies from Finland is today Aittokallio, Iilahti, Järvinen, Gibbson, Kolppanen and there are more to come.

TTTimra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:07 AM
psycho_dad

Vehanen might go if some team needs a solid backup. He has the highest save percentage in the Finnish league and the KHL this season. I guess it's safe to say he is the best goalie in europe right now. I mean...KHL team traded him for Tellqvist and over a million euros, and Tellqvist is a solid NHL backup.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

While your point about his height has merit, I'm not sure whether playing for the U-18 team is relevant. Goalies like Niklas Backstrom, Antti Niemi, and Pekka Rinne never played with the U-18 team but all have gone on to successful careers. At the other end of the spectrum, recent U-18 goalies Riku Helenius and Juha Metsola are still establishing themselves at the professional level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTimra View Post
When taking a look at Central Scouting list of Finnish goalies, the list includes Härma.
That is a little bit odd, he has no been involved in U18 team more than one time(game). In my opinion he is too small (170 cm) for playing on a high international level. Is he maintaining on the Central Scouting list from long time ago?