HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pekka Rinne Signs Extension (2 years, $6.8 mil)

Old
02-26-2010, 01:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
I liked this article: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...2/2250355/1028

Is it too wishful thinking to hope that Ellis is signed as our backup? I mean who else is in the market for a starting goaltender next year? (I haven't really been keeping up with that). I mean if he's going to be a backup, it might as well be here. I assume he'd only leave if a good starting position was out there.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.

This is very much a buyer's market for goaltenders, with a very small number of teams needing starters, and a large number of goalies around Ellis' skill level looking for work. Most of the teams that can afford or would have interest in Ellis would want him to play in a similar situation to the one he's in right now, and none would sign him to a long-term deal. We can probably give him 30-35 starts a year, which would be a huge help to Rinne to keep him fresh during the stretch run.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I've had the pleasure of talking to Ellis quite a few times over the past couple of years. Extremely nice guy, really well-liked by his teammates, good personality (follow him, @dellis39 on twitter...he's hilarious, albeit a bit random), and most of all the impression i got is that he and his young family love living in nashville. I know that almost becomes cliche, but my hope is that he tests the free agency waters, doesn't see a deal that he particularly likes, and comes back to Nashville at a slight decrease.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Rinne named NHL 3rd Star of the Week. Begin or continue Rinne vs. Ellis debate here.

"Third Star: Pekka Rinne -- Rinne is earning the lion's share of the goaltending time in Nashville and has the Predators on the way to the playoffs. He beat both Southern California teams on the road last week, shutting out Anaheim, 1-0, and edging Los Angeles, 3-2."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521426 (There's nothing more in the article about Rinne, so don't click unless you have nothing better to do ).

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
the events of the road trip have firmly re-established Pekka as the starter. there is no need for debate or discussion. IMHO unless Pekka has two bad starts in a row we shouldnt see Ellis again except in BTB situations...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Congratulations, Pekka!!!

Coming from someone who likes both Pekka and Ellis, I am glad that some of the Rinne-bashers have been proven wrong, at least for the time being. Two games doesn't say a whole lot, but it's a start, and hopefully is indicative of what's to come. I sincerely hope that Ellis gets more than one start in the remaining games but I am very happy to see Pekka improving.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the events of the road trip have firmly re-established Pekka as the starter. there is no need for debate or discussion. IMHO unless Pekka has two bad starts in a row we shouldnt see Ellis again except in BTB situations...
If I had a dollar for everytime...............

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
If I had a dollar for everytime...............
for every time what?

when is the last time either goalie played two consecutive solid games?

this is a first since Rinnes november streak, and combined with Eliis' godawful meltdown in San Jose, its pretty clear who #1 is right now.

Old
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
hatedandproud

As I said at the end of the ducks GDT...barring injury or sickness, I don't think we see ellis as a starter again this year except in one of the back-to-back games at the end of March.
Trotz's comment about the 5th and 6th san j goals were extraordinary for trotz (imo) and rinne now has two solid starts...I think it's his goal from here on out.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
for every time what?

when is the last time either goalie played two consecutive solid games?

this is a first since Rinnes november streak, and combined with Eliis' godawful meltdown in San Jose, its pretty clear who #1 is right now.

Everytime I heard "now our goalie situation is all clearly settled". Only 2 seasons have the Preds ever had a goalie play more than 50 games in a season. It's never settled on this team.

And the Kings game was Ellis' meltdown..........Really? Did he give up a terrible goal.......absolutely. Did the teams best defenseman get schooled on that play........absolutely. I didn't see anyone have even a decent 3rd period in that game.

Rinne played good games against the Ducks and Kings. It wasn't earth shattering or special. It was what his team needed and his team played well in front of him and didn't make him have to win the game. He can play those games and so can Ellis and so can 95% of NHL goalies. I don't remember the last time a Preds goalie ever stole a game. To be a playoff contender they will definately need someone to steal at least a game or 2. Are you confident Rinne can do that?

The Preds have a had a "clear #1" 10 different times this year. Right before the olympic break I actually read posts in here hoping that Rinne could hold down the fort till Pickard is ready. That was 4 games ago. Let's see how Rinne bounces back from his next bad game. Oh yeah, that won't happen because Ellis will get the game after that. And if he plays well 2 games in a row, he'll be the new "clear #1". Lets hope the TEAM doesn't have another meltdown in front of either guy and keep the Red Wings out of the playoffs.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
As I said at the end of the ducks GDT...barring injury or sickness, I don't think we see ellis as a starter again this year except in one of the back-to-back games at the end of March.
Trotz's comment about the 5th and 6th san j goals were extraordinary for trotz (imo) and rinne now has two solid starts...I think it's his goal from here on out.
We have back to back games this weekend as well, so we'll probably see Ellis at least two more times.

I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Rinne is for real this time

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
We have back to back games this weekend as well, so we'll probably see Ellis at least two more times.
I'm going to both of those games and Lord knows I will be tired and I'm not even on the ice, so I'd definitely say we'll see Ellis this weekend.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
were these comments in the tennessean? i'm not doubting them just would like to know what was actually said.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
were these comments in the tennessean? i'm not doubting them just would like to know what was actually said.
Trotz's comments on the 5th and 6th goal being horrible were in the broadcast from the Anaheim game. It was before the puck drop. Don't remember the exact quote but he was not happy about them to say the least. Pretty biting from a guy like him but it was said.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
nine_inch_fang

hmmmm, have to see if that got recorded.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
hmmmm, have to see if that got recorded.
It was pre game, right at the top of the broadcast if I remember correctly. Hope that helped.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
It's from the City Paper March 12. http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...st-loss-season

“The first two periods I thought we played extremely well. I thought we controlled the puck, and didn’t give San Jose too many opportunities to capitalize," Trotz said. "Then in the third period they got the two goals to tie it up. Then the fifth and sixth goals were some of the most horrendous things that ever happened to me.”
I just think the fact that he said "that happened to me." and not the team speaks volumes.

And you are right 'nerd...two more b to b's - can't read that calendar thing.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Everytime I heard "now our goalie situation is all clearly settled". Only 2 seasons have the Preds ever had a goalie play more than 50 games in a season. It's never settled on this team.

And the Kings game was Ellis' meltdown..........Really? Did he give up a terrible goal.......absolutely. Did the teams best defenseman get schooled on that play........absolutely. I didn't see anyone have even a decent 3rd period in that game.

Rinne played good games against the Ducks and Kings. It wasn't earth shattering or special. It was what his team needed and his team played well in front of him and didn't make him have to win the game. He can play those games and so can Ellis and so can 95% of NHL goalies. I don't remember the last time a Preds goalie ever stole a game. To be a playoff contender they will definately need someone to steal at least a game or 2. Are you confident Rinne can do that?

The Preds have a had a "clear #1" 10 different times this year. Right before the olympic break I actually read posts in here hoping that Rinne could hold down the fort till Pickard is ready. That was 4 games ago. Let's see how Rinne bounces back from his next bad game. Oh yeah, that won't happen because Ellis will get the game after that. And if he plays well 2 games in a row, he'll be the new "clear #1". Lets hope the TEAM doesn't have another meltdown in front of either guy and keep the Red Wings out of the playoffs.
disagree with the bolded sentence. as has been pointed out by others, elsewhere, neither of the goalies has had so much a s a two game winning streak since november.

notice i didnt say it would last, I said it will take two bad games in a row by Rinne to get Eliis another non BTB start(or at least i think it should).

my point isnt that Rinne has proven he will be awesome for the rest of the year, just that he has seized the reins, for the moment

Old
03-16-2010, 12:30 AM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
It's from the City Paper March 12. http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...st-loss-season

“The first two periods I thought we played extremely well. I thought we controlled the puck, and didn’t give San Jose too many opportunities to capitalize," Trotz said. "Then in the third period they got the two goals to tie it up. Then the fifth and sixth goals were some of the most horrendous things that ever happened to me.”
I just think the fact that he said "that happened to me." and not the team speaks volumes.

And you are right 'nerd...two more b to b's - can't read that calendar thing.
Thanks....wow. That one stung.

Old
03-16-2010, 12:37 AM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Congratulations, Pekka!!!

Coming from someone who likes both Pekka and Ellis, I am glad that some of the Rinne-bashers have been proven wrong, at least for the time being. Two games doesn't say a whole lot, but it's a start, and hopefully is indicative of what's to come. I sincerely hope that Ellis gets more than one start in the remaining games but I am very happy to see Pekka improving.
I hope you guys don't think I'm a Rinne basher. I say just let the hot goaltender ride us to the end. Right now that is definitely Rinne.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:39 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
I hope you guys don't think I'm a Rinne basher. I say just let the hot goaltender ride us to the end. Right now that is definitely Rinne.
It's all good. I'm just a Pekka fan so I tend to be a wee bit biased.