HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#68: Flyers @ Rangers - March 14, 2010 - 3:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
  #551
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
glad that you guys are seeming to agree that this article is a POS

it's Rangers/Flyers - bad blood reins and, in my opinion anyway - politeness and demeanor should go out the window when it comes to a true historic rivalry such as this. If a guy wants to drop his gloves and throw then he should do so, but with full knowledge that the other guy hates him as just as much

dont wanna start anything, but referencing that Carcillo was tactful by not utterly destroying Gabby a few games back is beyond ridiculous

hockey is hockey and it is going to be an extremely entertaining home and home to end the season. I will be at the game in Philly and look fwd to seeing how hockey games look from your arena (only been there for a few Wings games)
The article is tinged with some orange shades, sure, but I think the point is pretty valid.

Duby is a great 3rd line player and I like him a lot, but it's a little irritating to see the shots continue once the refs entered the equation.

Punching him with the jersey over his face? That's fine. That's old school. That's why the tie-down is there.

But once Richie went down and the refs jumped on him and Dubie kept throwing, it steps to that line. I think had he really crossed it, the officials would have called it as such. Could he have shown a little more respect/restraint? Absolutely. Do I think he committed some cardinal sin? Not really. It happens, and these two have some particularly bad blood.

These teams meet two more times this season, and Dubie is a pretty honorable guy. If Richie thinks he needs to avenge those extra shots in what was already a decidedly one-sided fight, I'm sure he'll be obliged. And that should be enough.

Also, I'm surprised Richie didn't toss his helmet like he normally does, but it seems like they jumped to throwing a little too quickly to do it, maybe? They didn't seem to square up much once the gloves were off...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:11 PM
  #552
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim
 
Pwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kentucky
Country: United States
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
So, because I'm not going to look though dozens of pages, can anyone tell me why they chose Cote over Powe?

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
  #553
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
main board people HATE downie for punching blake behind a ref though.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
  #554
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
main board people HATE downie for punching blake behind a ref though.
Easily my most favourite moment of the New NHL era.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
  #555
NYR27
Registered User
 
NYR27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I agree. I'm also tired of hearing about how much of a monster Carcillo is for beating up Gabs. As a Rangers fan, what did you think? To me it was pretty clear that Gabs dropped the gloves first, although Carcillo was pretty much manhandling him.
it irritated me at the time because I don't see the reason to even engage a guy like Gaborik after the whistle. I do agree that gabby dropped first - but only after he got a few gloved shots to the face from carcillo. To his credit - Danny could have done a lot worse that he did and I think restraint was appropriate given the situation

That being said - hockey is hockey and this is one of the reason I watch

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
  #556
NYR27
Registered User
 
NYR27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
The article is tinged with some orange shades, sure, but I think the point is pretty valid.

Duby is a great 3rd line player and I like him a lot, but it's a little irritating to see the shots continue once the refs entered the equation.

Punching him with the jersey over his face? That's fine. That's old school. That's why the tie-down is there.

But once Richie went down and the refs jumped on him and Dubie kept throwing, it steps to that line. I think had he really crossed it, the officials would have called it as such. Could he have shown a little more respect/restraint? Absolutely. Do I think he committed some cardinal sin? Not really. It happens, and these two have some particularly bad blood.

These teams meet two more times this season, and Dubie is a pretty honorable guy. If Richie thinks he needs to avenge those extra shots in what was already a decidedly one-sided fight, I'm sure he'll be obliged. And that should be enough.

Also, I'm surprised Richie didn't toss his helmet like he normally does, but it seems like they jumped to throwing a little too quickly to do it, maybe? They didn't seem to square up much once the gloves were off...
i think this is the most important part of this post - Richards and Dubi seem to genuinely dislike eachother. These guys, who fight much less often than the likes of Carcillo, Lapperieire etc should be held to a different standard because when these 2 fight - it is more raw emotion than business as it is when enforcers go at it

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:57 PM
  #557
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
So, because I'm not going to look though dozens of pages, can anyone tell me why they chose Cote over Powe?
Long train delay. Lots of poker. Cote bet Lavy a starting spot and hit a flush, Lavy had two pairs.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
  #558
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
...should be held to a different standard because when these 2 fight - it is more raw emotion than business as it is when enforcers go at it
I disagree.

Fighting in hockey has been around long enough that there is an understanding and a standard of how you go about it. Also, Richards and Dubi may not like each other, but they are both intelligent hockey players.

They didn't fight just out of anger - they talked about it, they decided to go. Richards knew what he was doing when he went for it; he was hoping that, in sacrificing himself, he might be able to spark a team that had done nothing all game (or at least all period).

If games get totally out of hand, maybe you see fights out of raw emotion - but often times, there's strategy, and most importantly conduct to it. The single 'honorable' standard exists in hockey fights, and is probably the only argument that has kept it in the game today.

Just because the two don't like each other doesn't mean they don't have to follow the 'rules.' And both of them broke some of them - Richards in not dropping the visor or tying down, and Dubie for filling him in even after the refs had intervened.

But it's not a big deal, and as I said if anyone feels bad about it I'm sure Dubie will answer the call in their next game.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
  #559
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Richards knew what he was doing when he went for it; he was hoping that, in sacrificing himself, he might be able to spark a team that had done nothing all game (or at least all period).
This argument would be more compelling if the Captain hadn't waited until 4 minutes left to fight. The game was over, he was checking out early...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
  #560
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
This argument would be more compelling if the Captain hadn't waited until 4 minutes left to fight. The game was over, he was checking out early...
There was plenty of time to score two goals.

I bet the Blackhawks will back me up on that, too.

There are enough scorers on that team to get it done without him - maybe he thought (since he was fighting the puck all night anyway) that getting in a fight might stir up some kind of competitive spirit?

Or maybe he was just pissed off.

Either way, I maintain that there is one set of rules that anyone in the league who's going to fight is going to stick to. It's what keeps them all honest about it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
  #561
Lex444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2010/0...medium=twitter

think avery said something about hartnells wifey?

Lex444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
  #562
jacko23
KCCO!
 
jacko23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Players like Avery are allowed to succeed because the officials let them. Avery is such a **** disturber that he doesn't even think twice about drilling guys into his own goaltender
youve obviously never watched a rangers/pens game. avery cant get away with **** when it comes to those games

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
  #563
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
youve obviously never watched a rangers/pens game. avery cant get away with **** when it comes to those games
no one can.

Hartnell we already know is going through "personal problems" and I guess Avery got wind of it.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
  #564
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
There was plenty of time to score two goals.

I bet the Blackhawks will back me up on that, too.

There are enough scorers on that team to get it done without him - maybe he thought (since he was fighting the puck all night anyway) that getting in a fight might stir up some kind of competitive spirit?

Or maybe he was just pissed off.

Either way, I maintain that there is one set of rules that anyone in the league who's going to fight is going to stick to. It's what keeps them all honest about it.
Richards fighting Dubinsky there was just dumb. There was still time for a comeback and if he's their key player, he needs to be around to finish the game.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:12 PM
  #565
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Richards fighting Dubinsky there was just dumb. There was still time for a comeback and if he's their key player, he needs to be around to finish the game.
Oh, I'm not saying it was right...but Richards might have thought that by beating Dubinsky down, he would rouse his team to rally around his passionate example and score.

Obviously, it didn't work out that way so if that was his thinking, it was clearly wrong. And yes, I agree we would have been better off with him on the ice...but if that fight goes differently and we tie the game up, he looks like a genius. I'm just saying, sometimes those are the things players consider. It wasn't the right move, but I'm not sure he only fought because he lost his cool. Or, if that was the case, then I'm disappointed that he would fall for it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:01 AM
  #566
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Oh, I'm not saying it was right...but Richards might have thought that by beating Dubinsky down, he would rouse his team to rally around his passionate example and score.

Obviously, it didn't work out that way so if that was his thinking, it was clearly wrong. And yes, I agree we would have been better off with him on the ice...but if that fight goes differently and we tie the game up, he looks like a genius. I'm just saying, sometimes those are the things players consider. It wasn't the right move, but I'm not sure he only fought because he lost his cool. Or, if that was the case, then I'm disappointed that he would fall for it.
Honestly, the entire team either lost it's cool or showed little heart yesterday. It'd be great to just chalk it up as one of those games, but it's happened too often for that.

Richards may well have been trying to light a fire, but he's been owned by Dubinsky in their last two fights. He's got to realize at that point they need his hands to score, not to fight, frustrated or not.

The last three games have seen more mood swings than a Britney Spears-Corey Haim relationship.

Thursday, they just flat suck against Boston, Saturday they come to life and beat one of the best teams in the NHL in thrilling fashion, then Sunday, they play down to the level of another team below them in the standings, and let an assclown like Avery lead the way for the Rangers.

This team could sweep the Pens or lose to Florida in four games and neither would be a surprise.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:34 AM
  #567
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Oh, I'm not saying it was right...but Richards might have thought that by beating Dubinsky down, he would rouse his team to rally around his passionate example and score.

Obviously, it didn't work out that way so if that was his thinking, it was clearly wrong. And yes, I agree we would have been better off with him on the ice...but if that fight goes differently and we tie the game up, he looks like a genius. I'm just saying, sometimes those are the things players consider. It wasn't the right move, but I'm not sure he only fought because he lost his cool. Or, if that was the case, then I'm disappointed that he would fall for it.
And if Richards had broken his hand or his jaw, it would've been a really stupid and futile gesture. At this time of year he's the last guy we need fighting, unless it's actually necessary.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:47 AM
  #568
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Honestly, the entire team either lost it's cool or showed little heart yesterday. It'd be great to just chalk it up as one of those games, but it's happened too often for that.

Richards may well have been trying to light a fire, but he's been owned by Dubinsky in their last two fights. He's got to realize at that point they need his hands to score, not to fight, frustrated or not.

The last three games have seen more mood swings than a Britney Spears-Corey Haim relationship.

Thursday, they just flat suck against Boston, Saturday they come to life and beat one of the best teams in the NHL in thrilling fashion, then Sunday, they play down to the level of another team below them in the standings, and let an assclown like Avery lead the way for the Rangers.

This team could sweep the Pens or lose to Florida in four games and neither would be a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And if Richards had broken his hand or his jaw, it would've been a really stupid and futile gesture. At this time of year he's the last guy we need fighting, unless it's actually necessary.
I can't disagree with either of these posts.

Also, A+++++ on the bold statement. Well played.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
  #569
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,739
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex444 View Post
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2010/0...medium=twitter

think avery said something about hartnells wifey?
No topic is off-limits to Avery. Ask Martin Brodeur.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.