HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Flyers Prospect Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
"The goalie" I'm assuming you speak of is Dan Meyers (from Voorhees, NJ).

Casey Wellman is a 22YO sophomore forward

Haven't really been up on my college hockey this year though.
Casey Wellman may not be the only college forward we're interested in. Bobby Butler is an interesting name some here might remember if they watched a bit of UNH when vanRiemsdyk played there. He, like Wellman, is having a great year.

Butler was included in HF's 10 college free-agents article a bit ago:

Quote:
Bobby Butler, F, 22
Senior, University of New Hampshire

Butler is enjoying the best year of his collegiate career and had recently helped to lead the Wildcats to their eighth Hockey East regular season title.

The Marlborough, MA native leads New Hampshire with 47 points (25 goals, 22 assists) through all 34 games to date. His 47 points currently rank him sixth in the nation as well. Butler also leads his team in goals (25), power play goals (6), game-winning goals (4) and plus-minus (+15). He was named the Hockey East Player of the Month for November after registering 13 points (eight goals, five assists) in seven games.

Butler is a power forward (6’0/185) who possesses an excellent shot and great vision. He has steadily improved over the course of his career in his skating. His quicker feet have made him more mobile and difficult to contain. Butler is also a tenacious player who plays with an edge.
There's a couple interesting ways the Flyers can move forward in the free-agent market. I'm not sure if we're done just yet with so many expiring contracts. I'm also confident that Dan Meyers is on our radar. We're losing both Duchesne and Teslak. On top of that, Backlund might head back overseas. That leaves Riopel as the only AHL goalie right now. De Serres could end up getting signed. Maybe Brad Phillips if he has in fact completely lost the starting job? Who knows? I'm sure we're on the lookout for FA goalies.

There's also Cody Reichard:

Quote:
Cody Reichard, G, 23
Sophomore, Miami University

Reichard is one half of the nation’s best goaltending tandem and a big reason behind the Miami RedHawks success this season. After the heartbreaking loss to Boston University in the national championship game last April, Reichard has returned to form and looks better than ever.

The Celina, OH native has appeared in 22 games to date, posting a 17-2-3 record that includes five shutouts. His 1.48 goals against average and .841 winning percentage both lead the nation, while his .937 save percentage co-lead the nation. Reichard and goaltending partner Connor Knapp (BUF) have allowed an average of just 1.72 goals per game this season, which is the lowest in all of D-I.

Reichard’s greatest asset is his calm and cool demeanor. Simply put, he is grace under pressure. Although he's undersized (5’11/165), Reichard uses his frame remarkably well. He has economy of movement. He is very good on his angles and does an outstanding job of controlling and limiting his rebounds.
and Ben Scrivens:

Quote:
Ben Scrivens, G, 23
Senior, Cornell University

Scrivens is the latest in a string of outstanding goaltenders coming out of Cornell and like some of his predecessors, has etched his name into the annuls of the Big Red record books as well.

The Spruce Grove, AB native has appeared in 29 games thus far this season, posting a record of 17-8-4 that includes four shutouts. His 1.99 goals against average and .931 save percentage both rank third in the nation. Scrivens was recently named to the All-ECAC First Team and was one of just two players receiving a unanimous selection to the All-Ivy League, after leading both the ECAC and Ivy League with a .933 save percentage and a .705 winning percentage. On Jan. 29, Scrivens broke the Cornell career saves record and heads into the ECAC post-season with 2,743 saves.

Scrivens is a big goaltender (6’2/192) with great agility and good lateral movement. His play down low and on his angles is also quite good. One notable improvement that Scrivens has made over the course of his career has been in his puck-handling. That, along with his added confidence has made him more consistent, particularly in stepping up in big games.

Last edited by CS: 03-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old
03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

for some reason I had it in my head Butler was a Chicago draft pick. I would love for the Flyers to be able to sign him.
Someone will sign him to a ATO soon. Will have to wait for the frozen 4 selections to be done obviously. Wouldnt shock me if Manchester or Worcester gave him a look IMO
Doesnt Cornell play a strong defensive system? I remember they had a goalie several years ago who had a GAA of 1.20 or something and I dont even think if he got a look from a NHL team

Old
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Casey Wellman is close to signing a 2 year entry level deal with Minnesota.

Hopefully the Flyers get in on signing some of the free agent NCAA players that are available. Bobby Butler and Ben Scrivens have Flyers prospect written all over them, especially Scrivens. My only concern is that the Flyers are already close to the limit in terms of contracts and that would mean having to dump a player or two to free up some contract spaces.

Old
03-16-2010, 12:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Casey Wellman is close to signing a 2 year entry level deal with Minnesota.

Hopefully the Flyers get in on signing some of the free agent NCAA players that are available. Bobby Butler and Ben Scrivens have Flyers prospect written all over them, especially Scrivens. My only concern is that the Flyers are already close to the limit in terms of contracts and that would mean having to dump a player or two to free up some contract spaces.
Probably would have to get one or both in here for at least a ATO look with the Phantoms. That would be a start. make the commitment with that anyway and then you will have an opportunity to talk to him and if the 50 contract limit is the issue we can sign them to a entry level deal that starts next year if I am not mistaken.
I know we will have Mormina,Pyorola, Ross and Asham coming off the books anyway as UFA's. Does Rathje still count twords the 50 contracts?
Will have to make a decision on Krajicek obviously as well.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:54 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I know we will have Mormina,Pyorola, Ross and Asham coming off the books anyway as UFA's. Does Rathje still count twords the 50 contracts?
Will have to make a decision on Krajicek obviously as well.
Currently the Flyers are at 49 contracts.

Players who will be off the 50 contract list (ie players who contracts are up):

Likely to get a new contract: Braydon Coburn, Daniel Carcillo, Ryan Parent, Darroll Powe

Might get a new contract: Lukas Krajicek, Arron Asham, Michael Leighton, Johan Backlund, Jonathan Matsumoto, Danny Syvret, Ryan Dingle, Rob Bellamy, David Laliberte, Matt Clackson, Jared Ross, Josh Beaulieu

Most likely gone: Mike Rathje, Ray Emery, Michael Teslak, Sean Curry, Jeremy Duschene, Mika Pyrola, Jason Ward, Joey Mormina, Krys Kolonos

Players who will count against the limit starting next season: Eric Wellwood, Zac Rinaldo, Tyler Hostetter, Nikola Riopel , Shane Harper and Luke Pither

Old
03-16-2010, 06:50 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Current Offseason Reserve (50 Contract) List Outlook

Continuing Contracts and Extensions: (24)
Briere, Timonen, Richards, Gagne, Carter, Pronger, Hartnell, Carle, vanRiemsdyk, Laperriere, Boucher, Giroux, Leino, Betts, Bartulis, Cote, Bourdon, Kalinski, Nodl, Lehtivuori, Marshall, Legein, Klotz, Maroon

New Contract Commitments: (5)
Wellwood, Rinaldo, Hostetter, Pither, Harper

CURRENTLY COMMITTED PLAYERS: 29/50

RFA Commitments: 7
Coburn, Carcillo, Parent, Powe, Teslak, Matsumoto, Syvret, Dingle, Bellamy, Duchesne, Laliberte, Clackson, Beaulieu

ATOs need ELCs: 2
Bodrov, Riopel, Stephenson

UFA: 5
Rathje, Emery, Krajicek, Asham, Leighton, Backlund, Curry, Ross, Ward, Pyorala, Mormina, Kolanos

Other Prospects: 2
Labrecque, Popov, Bertilsson, Lauridsen, Eriksson, Morrison, Kovar, De Serres, Phillips

POSSIBLE NEW CONTRACTS: 16

TOTAL POSSIBLE: 45

That's the max.

*Bold player denotes likely signing/worthwhile/possible signing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now it seems like our NHL roster could look like:

Gagne - Richards - Carcillo
Hartnell - Carter - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Briere
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Cote

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Parent - Bartulis

Leighton
Boucher

Our AHL roster could look like:

Maroon - Matsumoto - Legein
Wellwood - Pither - Laliberte
Harper - Labrecque - Nodl
Rinaldo - Kalinski - Klotz

Lehtivuori - Syvret
Marshall - Bourdon
Hostetter - Bodrov

Riopel
De Serres

*Bold denotes player beginning a new contract or extension.
*Italics denote HF rules prospect.

Last edited by CS: 03-16-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Whats the timetable on Sunshine Ericsson?
1-2 more years in SEL, then 1-2 in AHL?

Old
03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
1 year SEL depending on his play. 1.5-2.5 AHL.

or

2 year SEL depending on his play. 1.5 AHL.

He'll need time to get accustomed to the North American game regardless.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Riopel
De Serres

*Bold denotes player beginning a new contract or extension.
*Italics denote HF rules prospect.
I think you'll see a more established 3rd goaltender. At least they better, if Leighton and Boucher get hurt, they shouldn't bank on someone being put on re-entry waivers and winning 16 of 25 starts.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

From those list of players, I really, really hope that Legein can play next season for the Flyers. JvR-Giroux-Legein would be scary, and hell, even Legein has at least played with Giroux in Juniors.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I think you'll see a more established 3rd goaltender. At least they better, if Leighton and Boucher get hurt, they shouldn't bank on someone being put on re-entry waivers and winning 16 of 25 starts.
how many teams have that luxury though? Not many teams have a guy in the AHL that isnt waiver eligible.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Meh. I think if Riopel continues to have a right under 2.00 GAA in the QMJHL, it would be foolish not to have him start next year in the AHL.

Old
03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Hopefully soon!

Gotta love this kid already.

Old
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Sunshine.

Old
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Hopefully soon!

Gotta love this kid already.
Wait, that's Eriksson? Dude sure does look a hell of a lot like Gagne in that pic.

Old
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Wait, that's Eriksson? Dude sure does look a hell of a lot like Gagne in that pic.
Beat me to it, he really does look like Gags there.

Old
03-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Yup, that was taken from some Swedish news page. He does resemble Gags. It's great to see him representing his NHL city already.

Old
03-16-2010, 05:12 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Didn't Eriksson kick ass at the Trial on the Isle? Maybe not last year, but the year before? I thought I remember him doing something really impressive there. And I also thought I recalled seeing a pic of him where he looked really thin, which...whatever, that's common for goalies. Although, he looks like he's gotten bigger from that pic above...granted, it's hard to tell from that pic.

Old
03-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Haute Couturier

Neil Little is scouting Finnish goalie Jussi Rynnas according to my friend in Finland.

Quote:
euroflyers

Flyers goalie scout Neil Little in Finland scouting Jussi Rynnäs, 22. Plans on staying in Finland to watch Rynnäs for the rest of the week.
Quote:
euroflyers

"We are interested in Rynnäs", Little confirms. "Several NHL teams are. I believe he'll get an NHL contract but he's not NHL ready yet."
Quote:
euroflyers

Jussi Rynnäs is a rookie of the year candidate in Finland with 92.9 SV% and 2.50 GAA on a weak Pori Ässät team. Big boy with 6'4 & 205 lbs.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Sounds pretty promising for a 22 year old rook in the SM Liiga.

Old
03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
CptCannon

Worst timing ever for Rynnäs to be put on forced rest for the rest of the week. That's due to being overly tired and Pori Ässät don't have pretty much any value on their remaining games.

http://www.assat.com/page.php?id=19&article_id=302

Old
03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I've heard good things about him. I know he's been recommended to Holmgren.

Old
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Worst timing ever for Rynnäs to be put on forced rest for the rest of the week. That's due to being overly tired and Pori Ässät don't have pretty much any value on their remaining games.

http://www.assat.com/page.php?id=19&article_id=302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
I've heard good things about him. I know he's been recommended to Holmgren.
From EuroFlyers

Quote:
Reason for not playing Rynnäs might be contract talks. Neil Little said he's leaving Finland if Rynnäs won't play as there's nothing to see.

Old
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Also Ben Holmstrom was signed to an Amateur tryout

http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=3540

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=73679

Old
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Didn't Eriksson kick ass at the Trial on the Isle? Maybe not last year, but the year before? I thought I remember him doing something really impressive there. And I also thought I recalled seeing a pic of him where he looked really thin, which...whatever, that's common for goalies. Although, he looks like he's gotten bigger from that pic above...granted, it's hard to tell from that pic.
Yeah he slaughtered the running portion. From the sounds of it he was done way before anyone else and his team wasn't even leading after the kayak. They were mentioning at the time the great shape he was in.

Closed Thread