HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Number 1 Dman to Colorado

Old
03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
acquiring a no. 1 D via trade isn't my plan, it's the OP's. I was just simply stating that I would not trade away O'Reilly, Galiardi, Shattenkirk and Quincy in addition to Stewart, Duchene, Stastny and Anderson as the group of 8 is pretty much the Avs future.

I'd be more than happy just signing one of those Dmen mentioned in FA with the tons of capspace the Avs will have this summer
Of the top UFA dmen that were listed, Martin I think remains in NJ. Would take a big contract to get him to leave. Gonchar, he's 36 this year and whatever length of contract he signs for, you'll take the cap hit regardless if he retires. Niedermayer, might just retire after the season.

Leaves Volchenkov, really a shut down guy. Hamhuis, I see leaving Nashville, just a matter of where he wants to go and the dollars.

So, what is plan B if you can't sign one of those guys?

Then it has to be via trade. But, not many #1 dmen are available via trade. Kaberle is really the only one a team would move.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Street Hawk

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Signing EJ to a 4.5 per offer sheet would do the exact opposite of pissing the Blue's off. They would be ecstatic. They would simply match the offer and they wouldn't have to worry about EJ signing another offer sheet.

I doubt EJ would consider signing a 4.5 million per offer sheet. He can pretty easily get that from the Blues. To piss off the Blues you'd have to offer something in excess of 5.0 million per, and even then they'd match it. To have a shot at getting EJ you'd have to offer 5.5+
Weber signed for 3 years at 4.5 million. Phaneuf got 6.5 million per over 6 years. Green got 4 years at 5.25 million. A lot of other Dmen out of their ELC got in the mid 3's like Burns, Edler, Bieksa, Carle, etc.

Johnson has 4 years of RFA years left, so, expect a deal to average around $5 million per season if it's only over 4 years. If it eats up a UFA year, it will be higher.

Remember a RFA offersheet should be made to ensure that the other team doesn't match. That's why the Kesler and Backes deals were matched by Van and Stl. A 2nd round pick in the high 40's wasn't worth losing those 2 guys over a few hundred grand. If the made the offers worth a 1st rounder, then it would have been possible to get those players.

Old
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Of the top UFA dmen that were listed, Martin I think remains in NJ. Would take a big contract to get him to leave. Gonchar, he's 36 this year and whatever length of contract he signs for, you'll take the cap hit regardless if he retires. Niedermayer, might just retire after the season.

Leaves Volchenkov, really a shut down guy. Hamhuis, I see leaving Nashville, just a matter of where he wants to go and the dollars.

So, what is plan B if you can't sign one of those guys?

Then it has to be via trade. But, not many #1 dmen are available via trade. Kaberle is really the only one a team would move.
If the Avs strike out on all the free agents then I can see them going after stop gap solutions like Hamrlik (via trade), Kubina, Jonsson, etc. They are definitely at least upgrades over Brett Clark and won't sign big long term deals. Leaving room to continue going after 1 big free agent in the future. The big pieces of the Avs system/future are staying, if they can't get a number 1 dman in free agency, they should stay the course and give the opportunity to the prospects.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
PeterTheGreat

Martin is my number 1 choice. Solid top pairing guy, and u don't have to give up any assets for him.

The Kaberle trade is something to think about, though he's not quite the defensive stopper we need on the team. His offense would definitely be a big boost to the PP (though it's improved a ton since we brought in Mueller anyways).

As for offer sheeting anyone, no way. Avs have too many young, talented players that could be offer sheeted in the future to piss off any team. I'd make a trade for an RFA, but I would never offer sheet one.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:38 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
The Av's should think about giving a RFA offer sheet to E. Johnson < 4.5M (compensation = 2010 1st & 3rd)
St. Louis would then thank Colorado for getting a deal done for them.

True top-pairing guys are almost never traded, and if they are a boat load goes the other way, please see Pronger the last 2 times, and yes I realize both times he had 2+ years left or just agreed to an extension.

Colorado's best plan is sign: Martin or Volchenkov. Have one of them eat up 24+ minutes a night.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i kind of like the position the avs are in. they will have a ton of cap space next year, and on the backend, only have to give a raise to quincey. i believe clark will walk, as will salei. the only decision will be whether or not to bring back foote at a reduced rate.

they can be agressive in a couple of defencemen markets, for instance they could explore signing one of martin/volchenkov/hamhuis, any of the three would make me ecstatic. then, if by chance foote isn't coming back, could go after a guy like seidenberg as a middle anchor, a simple defensive guy that is safe to play on any pairing.

depending on what they might be able to land via free agency, they could then decide to more aggressively explore the option of trading liles.

ideally, i'd be happy with signing hamhuis, who can provide some offense as well, and then look at trading liles. my dream would be to sign both hamhuis and volchenkov, trade liles, and extend quincey.

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
The Av's should think about giving a RFA offer sheet to E. Johnson < 4.5M (compensation = 2010 1st & 3rd)
Uh, St. Louis would be the happiest team on the planet if someone offered that to Erik Johnson. Hell, I don't even know if Johnson would sign it. He's going to make north of 6M in his next contract.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
TheRedressor

Wade Redden for future considerations..........done deal.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:20 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
St. Louis would then thank Colorado for getting a deal done for them.

True top-pairing guys are almost never traded, and if they are a boat load goes the other way, please see Pronger the last 2 times, and yes I realize both times he had 2+ years left or just agreed to an extension.

Colorado's best plan is sign: Martin or Volchenkov. Have one of them eat up 24+ minutes a night.
We have a winner! I'd add Michalek and Hamhuis to the list. If Pens don't re-sign Gonchar then he might be available.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
ok, my mistake, i did forget about Michalek, who is incredibly intriguing, mainly because of aside from everything he brings, is a right handed shot.

i change my ideal to michalek and volchenkov then

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
thedoctor
                    

true #1 D's don't grow on trees. If you don't homegrow them, you catch them at the end of their careers, overpay in trades, trade for them as rentals, or pay them in UFA. the Avs aren't in a spot where any of those other options make sense.

I still think trading for/offer sheeting Hjalmarsson is the best interim measure.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Uh, St. Louis would be the happiest team on the planet if someone offered that to Erik Johnson. Hell, I don't even know if Johnson would sign it. He's going to make north of 6M in his next contract.
Don't tell Blues fans that, most have him penciled in at $3.5 to $4.5 million a year for 3+ years.

If I'm Boston, I offer $6.2 million on July 1, midnight.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Pure

Quote:
Don't tell Blues fans that, most have him penciled in at $3.5 to $4.5 million a year for 3+ years.

I really doubt he goes to free agency at all. But I'd offersheet 6 mill flat for him easily.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Street Hawk

Cap Room

Quote:

Blues have plenty of cap room with Kariya coming off at $6 million.

So, it would come down to whether the Blues want to pay Johnson that and I think that they will.

But, any Blues fan that really believes that Johnson will land less than 4.5 million is not looking at it from a realistic point of view.

2 best comparables are Shea Weber and Mike Green.

Weber is at 4.5 million per season, but he didn't give up any UFA years. 1 more year left on that deal and he's still RFA for 1 more year.

Green, got a 5.25 million per season over 4 years. Still would be a RFA after the deal runs out.

Unlike Weber, who signed after his 2nd year, Johnson had to wait until his ELC is up due to his ACL tear. So, he's put up very strong numbers, made the US olympic team and played well there. I believe $5 million per year for his RFA years would be a minimum. If he gives up any UFA years (ie, at least a 5 year deal, then the amount will be higher).

So, I don't think any team will be able to pry Johnson away with an O/S. Blues have too much cap room to not match and they need the guy.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:14 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Wade Redden for future considerations..........done deal.
My bad, I should have specified. We want a number 1 dman in the NHL, not AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
We have a winner! I'd add Michalek and Hamhuis to the list. If Pens don't re-sign Gonchar then he might be available.
I didn't know Zybnek Michalek is an unrestricted free agent. He'd be a great pickup. Very underrated player.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote