HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rec League Team Choices: What to do what to do.....

Old
03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Nostradanglus

vCash: 500
Rec League Team Choices: What to do what to do.....

Hey everyone,

I've just been approached by a division 1 team to play for them for the upcoming season. Last year I played for a Div 2 team and made a lot of friends on it. So at this point I am really trying to mull over which way I should go on this one.

The pro's for staying in Div 2:
Stay with old buds
Be the go-to guy

The pro's for moving up to Div 1:
Much higher skill level
Much shorter bench (more ice time)

I am really wanting to get better at the sport. Div 1 offers the best oppourtunity to do so. But I would feel fairly rotten notifying my old Div 2 team that I would not be joining them 2 weeks before the season began.

Any thoughts on this topic are definitely welcomed. Has anyone been through this style of predicament. As a note, this is rec league hockey and the teams aren't too serious, so both teams would be pretty okay with my decision.

Cheers

Nostradanglus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
I suggest you play in both!!!

TCNorthstars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:44 AM
dsarch

Definitely play both if you can. I joined a 2nd league and there are no regrets, just give the teams a heads up before the season starts (saying you are playing 2 leagues so there may be a conflict once in awhile) so that you can register subs.

dsarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:44 AM
shoeshine boy

personally, I think it would be pretty ****** to tell your old team 2 weeks before the season begins. it doesn't really give them time to find another player close to your level to replace you. can the D2 team wait another season?

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
customradius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
I suggest you play in both!!!
+1

Keep in mind, this is rec league, it's not like going from a DIII college to DI. It should be fun, therefore abandoning our old "buds" for a higher level of play may not be enjoyable though you will most likely pick up your game.

So like above, if you can swing it, do both

customradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Pog Form

As mentioned above, do both if possible.

Pog Form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
TinofGrizz

It's a tough call, even tho it would be kind of rude to tell your team 2 weeks before you play that you need to drop, its not the end of the world. I've run teams for well over 10 years now, I've had guys drop from the team 2 hours before the season starts, it happens...

Personally for me I'd rather have 10 nice goals playing in the highest competition level that I can find opposed to scoring 40 goals against guys I can walk all day.

I will have to die before I give up Tuesday night hockey with my group of friends, our goalie is terrible, I always tell him that I keep him around for his personality not his glove hand. We lose a bunch of games because because the talent pool is low but the locker room talk and post game beers make up for that.

Try and do both but if you can't weigh your options, if you are trying to improve as a player let the guys know your sorry and move up. If you are just out to have fun, stick in D2 with your pals.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Pedagogue

If you can go with both teams. Just make sure they do not play back to back (e.g. Monday and Tuesday). Playing D1 will definitely improve your game.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Hrad

Both is always the best way to go!

That's the absolute best way to get better, by playing more. That's what you can do if you play in two leagues

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

As already stated try to do both BUT if you can't there is no shame in playing with better players to help your own game.

I am assuming you are a young man, I am not at almost 42. Today I would choose playing with guys I can "shine" with over playing where I am not as good.

If I were a young man like yourself I would choose the more competitive level because trust me .... you literally have the rest of your life when you are older to play at levels where you can make friends and be a better go-to guy.

This time now you have would not be the end of the world to play a level up. It will help your game out and you do not wish to get older and wonder a "what if". "What ifs" suck and they are not given much thought when one is young and they should think about that stuff.

Go play in the higher level .... if you can do both do both.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Two years ago I had the same choice...move up with a few teammates or stay down with most of my friends. I ended up going up and it was a struggle, not a lot of fun, personality clashes, etc. Dropped back down and most of this year has been a lot more fun and laid back.

Granted, I've had health issues that have cost me a step, but since I mainly just play for fun, it's better for me to not kill myself on the ice and with a short bench and instead play with guys I get along with at a level that feels comfortable, even if it's not that high.

But each situation is different, that's just my story.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Turboflex*

Play div 1.

I played senior B for a few years and tho I had some friends I found myself not enjoying hockey so much, getting irritated and disconnected from the game cuz all the bad players made it a joke. Went up to A where hockey was taken seriously and I'm not regretting it.

Maybe some guys like to play "just for fun" and don't care but these guys are usually terrible. If you're not taking the competitive nature of the game seriously on the ice you're missing something from the sport (not saying be an animal, lose sleep over a beer league, or fight in locker room) and on some level not enjoying it as much. Have your fun after the game.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Nostradanglus

Thanks for the responses so far!

I would definitely play for both if I could but that would not be possible. Their games are both on sundays and sometimes they can be on in rinks that are 1 1/2 hrs apart from one another. Plus if I only gave each team half my time it would stop at least the Div 1 team from having good numbers per game.

The guys in the new team seem nice enough. There is a definite jump in skill level and I think that is forcing me to play harder.

Just to compare bench sizes (without me on either yet)

Div 1: 13
Div 2: 20

I am definitely in a spot where I want to purely get better. In either case, I will stil be in contact with the other team's members as I will continue going to the training session for both teams (Div 1 training on tuesdays, Div 2 training on fridays).

The major difference is game-day (Sundays). Higher Skill/Shorter bench v.s. lower skill/good friends from last season.

Once again, thanks for all the responses so far

Old
03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Pog Form

Twenty guys on the bench in a rec league? No way are you seeing more than 10-12 minutes of ice. Go play with the Div 1 team. Higher skill level + more ice = improvement, which is what you said you're looking for in your original post. I understand it's a tough decision, but it's probably what's best for YOU.

Pog Form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
If you can't play both, I would go with the team you would have the most FUN with. Sure you would like to get better, but lets be reality, you aren't striving for a career as a pro hockey player. So pick the one you would enjoy the most.

TCNorthstars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:16 AM
HowToHockey

Play for your div 2 team, and see if you can make it to the odd game with Div 1. Then you will make friends on the Div 1 team (hopefully) plus you will be challeneged more.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Roccosvan

20 guys on the bench? Hell we are only allowed to dress 15 skaters...wtf?

As for Div 1 v Div 2 thing I would stick with the buds in Div 2 and spare for the Div 1 team.

Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Nostradanglus

hey guys,

just out of interest I did decide to move up to Division 1. I've spoken to my Div 2 captain and although he was sad to lose me, he is happy for me to have a shot up a division to see if it is where I want to be and invited me back at any time if I chose to come back.

I get 5 games to play in Division 1 before I am locked into that level...So for the next 5 sundays I will be trying to play both a div 1 and div 2 team if the schedule allows.

Thanks for all the help! It definitely did factor into my decision!

Old
03-21-2010, 07:08 PM
customradius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORDMARK View Post
hey guys,

just out of interest I did decide to move up to Division 1. I've spoken to my Div 2 captain and although he was sad to lose me, he is happy for me to have a shot up a division to see if it is where I want to be and invited me back at any time if I chose to come back.

I get 5 games to play in Division 1 before I am locked into that level...So for the next 5 sundays I will be trying to play both a div 1 and div 2 team if the schedule allows.

Thanks for all the help! It definitely did factor into my decision!
Sounds like a win-win situation

customradius is offline   Reply With Quote