HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009-2010 V

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2010, 09:31 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryNumber5 View Post
Say Ovie does win the Richard and Ross trophies... do these suspensions play into the voters minds for the Hart?
He wins them both on the scoring numbers but the trophies are withheld because Ov is dirty. Hart Trophy? No chance. Repeat offenders are not allowed on the ballot.

Bettman and Campbell are currently discussing suspending the Capitals from the playoffs and to open a spot for the Rangers.

Old
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
BobRouse may be onto something. Thinking outside the box a bit more...

The league has made such a concentrated effort to force itself to be a finesse and skill league (without the players to do it), and Ovi is ruining their plans. Ovi is a beast and they may think that he doesnt meet the criteria of their new mario based marketing plan.

Or it could be that he is such a high profile player, they cant let him slide. Koci; Coat Cheese who?

Little will they acknowledge, that fans actually like Ovi's game over Mario's vision of what the game should be. Lets face it, most north americans like rough sports. Old school NHL, boxing, WWF, UFC, NFL have high demand. Its a flawed marketing plan because the skill level league wide is not where it needs to be to market such a clean high skill only game.

My electrifying jaw dropping predicted opening lineup tonight:

Laing Steckel Bradley
Erskine Sloan

Without Ovi, the league is not as marketable. Even Milbury knows that. Blind squirrel thing perhaps.

Old
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
DreamBeaut

Are you implying Mario Lemieux has something to do with Ovie's suspension, or am I mis-reading that?

Old
03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buries It View Post
Are you implying Mario Lemieux has something to do with Ovie's suspension, or am I mis-reading that?
Mis-read.

Old
03-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Does the Pittsburgh board not have a New & Notes thread?

Old
03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

-www.greenlife52.com

Old
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

LOL thanks for covering my back. I do think Pepe helped shape the league into what it has become. Hearing him whining and complaining all the years he played, and seeing the league address his concerns when he was a player, was eye opening. Addressing some overnight. As a top player in the league, he obviously had some pull. As an owner, one could expect even more so. Especially when his peers are investors that never played hockey. And the things he always complained about are the things the league addressed. Coincidence or not, best or not best for the game, notwithstanding.

The icing on the cake was the mysterious ping pong ball win for Pitt, facing bankruptcy and a move into RIMville. Rescued by being handed Sid and a contract with NBC; his lavish estate with furnished basement intact.

Its my own wild imagination completely untrue in every way personal conspiracy. Everyone knows what i think about this already.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
LOL thanks for covering my back. I do think Pepe helped shape the league into what it has become. Hearing him whining and complaining all the years he played, and seeing the league address his concerns when he was a player, was eye opening. As a top player in the league, he obviously had some pull. As an owner, one could expect even more so. Especially when his peers are investors that never played hockey. And the things he always complained about are the things the league addressed. Coincidence or not, best or not best for the game, notwithstanding.

The icing on the cake was the mysterious ping pong ball win for Pitt, facing bankruptcy and a move into RIMville. Rescued by being handed Sid; his lavish estate with basement intact.

Its my own wild imagination personal conspiracy. Everyone knows this about me already.
I 100% blame the clutching and grabbing era of hockey on Lemieux. he did it non-stop, and the refs wouldn't call him for it because he was Lemieux. When the ancillary second tier stars started getting away with it. And it trickled down across the league.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Does the Pittsburgh board not have a New & Notes thread?
I'm pretty sure this forum isn't titled "Washington Capitals" because it's for only Washington Capitals' fans, but because it's for discussion about the Capitals.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I'm pretty sure this forum isn't titled "Washington Capitals" because it's for only Washington Capitals' fans, but because it's for discussion about the Capitals.
Incorrect.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
dpj0122

Quote:

The league has made such a concentrated effort to force itself to be a finesse and skill league (without the players to do it), and Ovi is ruining their plans. Ovi is a beast and they may think that he doesnt meet the criteria of their new mario based marketing plan.

Or it could be that he is such a high profile player, they cant let him slide. Koci; Coat Cheese who?

Little will they acknowledge, that fans actually like Ovi's game over Mario's vision of what the game should be. Lets face it, most north americans like rough sports. Old school NHL, boxing, WWF, UFC, NFL have high demand. Its a flawed marketing plan because the skill level league wide is not where it needs to be to market such a clean high skill only game.

Laing Steckel Bradley
Erskine Sloan

Without Ovi, the league is not as marketable. Even Milbury knows that. Blind squirrel thing perhaps.
You raise good points. I also believe that factors in the NHL's anti-Ovechkin agenda are 1) he's Russian, 2) he doesn't play for Bettman's favorite team, Pittsburgh, like Cooke does, for example, and 3) Ovie had the audacity to upset the NHL's carefully crafted marketing plans by proving to be a better and much more entertaining player than Crosby.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Foy

Quote:
When visiting the team forums please note that they are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans.Do not visit team forums to cheer against or demean their team, or cheer for their opponent.
http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=cfrules

Old
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I 100% blame the clutching and grabbing era of hockey on Lemieux. he did it non-stop, and the refs wouldn't call him for it because he was Lemieux. When the ancillary second tier stars started getting away with it. And it trickled down across the league.
Either way, its his fault. Between our two theories, we have all the bases covered to continue hating Pitt.

All I know is no one in the league complained about the NHL style before he came onto the scene. 99 may have complained and me not know about it (hockey coverage largely didnt exist then). But what he and his teammates did playing NHL style won lots of cups. If he did complain, he did it after drinking out of the cup; his complaints falling on deaf ears, one could imagine.

I have never seen a caps player complain as much as Pepe and the kid do. Sadly, it always seems that the squeaky wheel is the one that gets the grease. Here shut up already.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
This is a joke. Mix those hits in with Adams hit from behind on OV. None of those even got a MINOR penalty.

Alan May maybe onto something.

Personally I think its the league trying to make Ovechkin a pure skill player for their marketting reasons. They do not want him injuring players (easy for him to do since he is a beast) as it gives bad rep.

Oh...and for those Caps fans who think "well this is a good thing..it gives OV rest and other players a chance to play"..well true enough...HOWEVER the bad part is that now its on his record and it shows the league is targetting him. Come playoff time any marginal hit by him will draw a penalty and perhaps a suspension.

Colin Campbell is horrible.

What a coincidence that this is the third time OV was suspended prior to a game against the Panthers who are fighting for a playoff spot.

Irony that Green got suspended (I know Campbell supposedly was not involved in that ruling) in a game against...you guessed it...the Panthers!

Where there is smoke there is usually fire.
Yeah, Campbell supposedly doesn't rule on matters involving Florida, but shouldn't he be also eliminated from matters involving Florida's division rivals? Talk about a conflict of interest.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
dpj0122

Quote:
Either way, its his fault. Between our two theories, we have all the bases covered to continue hating Pitt.

All I know is no one in the league complained about the NHL style before he came onto the scene. 99 may have complained and me not know about it (hockey coverage largely didnt exist then). But what he and his teammates did won lots of cups, and if he did complain, he did it after drinking out of the cup. Falling on deaf ears, one could imagine.

I have never seen a caps player complain as much as Pepe and the kid do. Sadly, it always seems that the squeaky wheel is the one that gets the grease. Here shut up already.
You raise part of the Caps problem. I truly believe that the Caps get the shaft because Leonsis and McPHee are too passive with the league. Instead of screaming bloody murder on this entire thing, Leonsis has already posted on his blog "But it is what it is. We will move on, play hard and we won’t “explain or complain”." Now perhaps they are calling Bettman and Colin Campbell the dirty low lives that they are behind the scenes, but that certainly isn't the impression that they give. It happens far too often (remember the scheduling of the Pittsburgh playoff games several years ago, for example?). One thing to be a good team player with the league. But when the league starts to take advantage, it is time to raise holy hell. Publicly if necessary.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Between George's soft spoken voice (his actions are louder than his words) and Ted's Blog (read only by obssessed Caps fans and AOL buds, one could assume), their voices may only carry so far.

On tonights segment of "Sit down with George" his guest will be Mari...

I bet that would get our voice heard.

Old
03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
txpd

Ted's take is his way of getting out of interviews he doesnt want to do among other things. It was quoted in the Globe and Mail(Toronto) today. So somebody other than his mom is reading it

Old
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....cat=1&id=21681
Quote:
The ECHL on Tuesday announced that Olaf Kolzig will be formally inducted into the ECHL Hall of Fame during a ceremony prior to Friday night’s game between the Florida Everblades and South Carolina Stingrays at Germain Arena in Estero, Fla.

Old
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:

Laing Steckel Bradley
Erskine Sloan

Like my buddy at the office said: "Oh, Ovie is not playing? I am gonna skip this one... you wanna grab a beer?" Granted he is not a die hard Caps fan, but a lot of casual fans are like that... "Mr. excitement", "evil" or what ever you wanna call him is not playing - the game becomes boring (to untrained eye)

Old
03-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Neither of which he was doing.

Old
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Ted's take is his way of getting out of interviews he doesnt want to do among other things. It was quoted in the Globe and Mail(Toronto) today. So somebody other than his mom is reading it
The problem is that he isn't saying the right things. To say that they won't complain over this is exactly the wrong approach. The league plays them for patsies, whether it is suspensions, draft issues (remember the post-lockout screw job) or playoff scheduling. The meek and mild ones always get the shaft and that is how Leonsis and McPhee come across.

Old
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I am sure many doubt my theories about 66. Thats fine. But then answer who did spearhead the changes in the style of the league, post lockout? Who displayed the most pull with the league during that era? Whose idea was it that the old NHL as I knew it, was no longer marketable? Who advised the league to not let goalies play pucks, call anything loosely resembling a hold or trip, even in game 7 OT's? That there be almost no stoppages in play at all. Clamping down on fighting, deciding to penalize it differently based on time remaining in the game.

Not that the game couldnt use some tweaking, as they have tried or done almost every year. Usually failing more often than not in their goals.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Foy

Interesting that before the suspension was announced Campbell's ailments were:
A grade 2 concussion, a broken rib and a broken clavicle. Out for the season.

Then after the suspension is announced it becomes:
broken clavicle, possible broken ribs, out 6-7 weeks.

Seems like Chicago pulled a Pittsburgh.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Maybe Juice magically plays tonight.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Langway
Intangibles