HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I consider taking time off?

Old
03-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Should I consider taking time off?

I am in Vancouver and usually play street hockey with friends, no big deal. Anyways, I used to be a bit of a pushover, a cool headed kinda guy, but I've noticed lately I am becoming more of a hothead. When I can't score I get frustrated and try and agitate. We usually rib each other for fun, but when I get to this state, I don't take very kindly to that kind of crap. I'm not a huge guy I am 5 foot 8, 145-150 pounds but I want to take out anything in my way to score.

I don't want to become that ********* who starts **** even though it's a fun thing, but my enhanced natural competitive drive is starting to dictate otherwise. So I have a few questions.

-Should I take sometime off?
-How much if so?
-Will this new drive be a good thing in my roller league in 2 months?

Please no trolls, this is a legitimate problem. Thanks.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I am in Vancouver and usually play street hockey with friends, no big deal. Anyways, I used to be a bit of a pushover, a cool headed kinda guy, but I've noticed lately I am becoming more of a hothead. When I can't score I get frustrated and try and agitate. We usually rib each other for fun, but when I get to this state, I don't take very kindly to that kind of crap. I'm not a huge guy I am 5 foot 8, 145-150 pounds but I want to take out anything in my way to score.

I don't want to become that ********* who starts **** even though it's a fun thing, but my enhanced natural competitive drive is starting to dictate otherwise. So I have a few questions.

-How much if so?

Nothing wrong with wanting to be competetive BUT you are just playing street hockey and maybe over doing it a little getting that agitated playing that which should be for fun BUT when you play in your league go balls out like you have been, it is perfectly fine there to agitate and be abrasive.

So yes it will be a good thing in your roller league but for a friendly game of street hockey no.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:58 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting to be competetive BUT you are just playing street hockey and maybe over doing it a little getting that agitated playing that which should be for fun BUT when you play in your league go balls out like you have been, it is perfectly fine there to agitate and be abrasive.

So yes it will be a good thing in your roller league but for a friendly game of street hockey no.
I agree with this ^

But the best part of it is that you recognize your problem and want to solve it, that's pretty classy

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

You become a hot head in street hockey?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Hfboards2010

If you believe it is only a competitive drive, than realize that:

Playing street hockey w/ friends = relax fun. Consider it practice, work on your skills.
Playing "competitive" roller hockey = competitive fun. Consider it game day.

If you believe it is both competitive drive & frustration, than I would think you need to take a step back. How long? Until you find out why you are frustrated and can separate your daily frustration / street hockey frustration. They are not the same.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:04 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I used to have that same problem, but playing ice. Just start playing defense so you don't have to worry about scoring anymore, and problem solved.

It worked for me

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Badger36

Being a bit of a hothead isnt a problem as long as you are able to control your temper and channel your anger.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Your friends beak you behind your back about it, 100% true on that one.

There aren't any scouts at your street hockey games, so grow a pair and suck it up when things don't work out.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:48 AM
nullterm

I'd say keep playing. Stop worrying about winning/goals. Enjoy the fresh air, exercise, being with friends. Taking time away won't change things, a more fun & relaxed mindset will.

If you miss a wide open net then just laugh about it.

Save it all for league play.

I'm similar, I play outdoor roller for fun and don't put any pressure on myself. Just go out and make sure it stays fun. League ice is another matter, then I play with more of an edge and don't shy away.

I find it helps to approach each with a different mindset.

Last edited by nullterm: 03-17-2010 at 03:54 AM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:19 AM
HowToHockey

Try playing and if you find yourself getting wound up then take a 2 minute breather to cool off. That should calm your nerves enough, if not then maybe think of something to do instead of getting ticked off.

Keep a tally of every time you mess up, and then do 10 push-ups for each screw up.

Or practice for 5 minutes (after the game, or at home) for each screw up. You will mess up less and less

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Roccosvan

Remeber in street hockey people are not protected the same way as ice/roller. Keep your stick and temper down in street, and be more aggressive in the league games during roller.

Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
I used to have that same problem, but playing ice. Just start playing defense so you don't have to worry about scoring anymore, and problem solved.

It worked for me
Thanks for all the advice, guys. It's been 4 months or so since and I've found it a lot better from before. My roller league was OK, even though we were winless in 13 games without a coach, I was alright. In all this, I found a new "hidden skill" that I was not aware of.

I've been a shut-down defenseman since and am quite good at it, if I may be conceit. Which is why I've quoted this post cause I thought I could never play defense. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
You become a hot head in street hockey?

LOL.

If OP was one of my friends he would be getting chirped mercilessly until his head exploded at which point we would turn it up a notch.

Losing your head in a street hockey game is childish

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
LOL.

If OP was one of my friends he would be getting chirped mercilessly until his head exploded at which point we would turn it up a notch.

Losing your head in a street hockey game is childish
+1, sorry OP, but if you're just playing street hockey with friends its more than a little ridiculous to start getting chippy/aggressive. Cool that you've found a new role as a defensive dman, and nothing wrong with bringing a little fire to league games (as long as you can draw the line between competing hard and actually being cheap/dirty), but there's no reason to get mad playing street hockey with friends.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Razzmatazz

EDIT: I just noticed the original post was from March...shutdown defenseman was about to be my other suggestion...haha

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, guys. It's been 4 months or so since and I've found it a lot better from before. My roller league was OK, even though we were winless in 13 games without a coach, I was alright. In all this, I found a new "hidden skill" that I was not aware of.

I've been a shut-down defenseman since and am quite good at it, if I may be conceit. Which is why I've quoted this post cause I thought I could never play defense. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Quote:

-How much if so?

Stop trying to score so much, and work on setting up your teammates with passes and rebound shots...I know from my experience being a little more of a setup guy keeps me more level headed than trying to go end to end, and carry the puck/ball through traffic every time.

If you want to score, get open for a one timer or a quick shot when your teammates have the puck/ball.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:57 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:

-How much if so?

As most people said, it's good if you do that in a league, but if it's just street hockey with friends, somthing is wrong.

I play D, and I LOVE getting under people's skin, but when playing pickup with friends, I know not to do that

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Ryan52

its just street hockey man
but taking time off can be good
after playing year round for the last 3 years i needed some time off. i finished the season horribly and i just needed a rest from hockey. i havent put on the skates since march and it feels good, but i want to start going to shinny again

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote