HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The latest cuts

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 09:44 AM
DarioinDenver

vCash: 500
The latest cuts

Ok...

Budaj, Larsen and Slovak. None are really a suprise considering Sauve played so well last night and Liles is giving everyone little reason to look at Slovak too closely. I'm a little suprised that they kept Slovak around for two preseason games that he didn't even play. The only thing I can figure is he was injured in some way. Larsen lost the spot because of injury and you have to feel for him because he got mired in Hershey last year starting out this exact same way. I'm pleasently suprised that Cody McCormick is making the trip to Vegas for another preseason game. I can only assume they like his penalty kill and defensive play along with the banging and energy. So the guys fighting for spots are:

Cummins
DJ Smith
McCalister
Svatos
Liles
McCormick
Aubin
Hahl
Wilsie

..who am I missing?

Old
09-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

only 3 more cuts coming correct? I'd rather have Aubin cut, place Svatos on the third line and have a 4th line of

Worrel- Hahl - Hinote

Old
09-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Belgican

I guess nobody ...

I wouldn't say that Hall is fighting for a spot, he's a lock IMO, but well ...

MacAllister plays as a forward right now, so it's between Smith and Liles, I guess there is no way Smith will win this battle. On the other hand it would be surprising for the Avs to enter the season with only 6 defenders, but again MacAllister could fill a hole when necessary.

So I would say Smith is in danger here.

For some reason, I haven't heard at all about Aubin and Willsie during this training camp, I fear the worse' for them.

It would be a big surprise to see McCormick stay with the Avs, even if his play was above expectations.

Roster is at 23 :

Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk
Karyia-Sakic-Selanne
Battaglia-Nikolishin-Svatos
Worrell-Hahl-Hinote

Extras : Cummins-MacAllister-(Willsie)

Foote-Liles
Blake-Skratins
Skoula-Morris

Extras : (Smith)

Aebisher-Sauvé

Old
09-26-2003, 10:37 AM
DarioinDenver

Right, they only have three cuts left.

DJ Smith
McCormick
I think of Svatos as a better fit with speed and skilled forwards so I think he may need to be sent down to get ice time with Hershey. I think McAllister at forward is a big joke, make him a #7 and call it a day.

Wilsie, Aubin and Cummins all fight for a spot at this point I think if Svatos continues to be this productive.

Old
09-26-2003, 10:52 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
a quote from myself over on LGA.com...

Quote:
cummins OR mccormick and willsie will be the last forwards to go and smith the last defensemen.

so the team will look like...

tanguay-forsberg-hejduk
kariya-sakic-selanne
battaglia-nikolishin-SVATOS
worrell-hahl-hinote
extra:aubin and mccormick or cummins

foote-liles
blake-skrastins
morris-skoula
extra:mcallister

aebischer
sauve

Old
09-26-2003, 11:38 AM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurupt
Is this Liles kid that good ? What exactly is he really good at ? Who does he compare to ? I heard he's like a Rafalski or was that Slovak ?
where to start...the kid is great offensively. if you've been able to listen to the game, he's the one running that 1st pp unit and they're moving the puck great. he has a great shot and very good pass; he's a very good, fluent skater; he keeps excellent position in his own zone; he knows where his stick and body need to be and from what i've seen, he's great one on one; he's not big so not all that physical so he might struggle against the powerforard types, but he's not afraid to try to clear the front of the net if need be. people have compared him to rafalski, but i myself compare him to someone else that would overrate him like no other. but from what I'VE seen from him, this kid has a potential to be a top pairing dman, even with his smallish size. i expect A LOT from this kid this year. he's been getting 15-20 minutes in the preseason, and the last time we had a #6 palying that much was a while ago. this is great for the team, so now foote and blake don't ahve to play SO much. it spreads the d minutes out a lot better. but i'm plesantly surprised from what i've een and heard about him thus far.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Is this Liles kid that good ? What exactly is he really good at ? Who does he compare to ? I heard he's like a Rafalski or was that Slovak ?
Yes, Liles is the one that's comparable to Rafalski. I think he's looked really good so far.

My cut predictions:
Cummins
Smith
McCormick

I don't see any need for Jim Cummins on this team with Worrel and McCallister around.

Old
09-26-2003, 11:45 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
Yes, Liles is the one that's comparable to Rafalski. I think he's looked really good so far.

My cut predictions:
Cummins
Smith
McCormick

I don't see any need for Jim Cummins on this team with Worrel and McCallister around.

I give the broadcasters last night their due respect for pointing out that most teams do need a middle weight scraper and Cummins last night was very stand up. He didn't try to wait for the other guy to drop his gloves or any of that stuff that simply got the refs thinking about instigator calls like Parker would do. After the run on Sakic he got opposit him during the faceoff, talked to him before the puck dropped to tell him it was comming and to protect himself and he went at it. Cummins has been productive as well. He looked great when I saw him skate at Family Sports.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:00 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I give the broadcasters last night their due respect for pointing out that most teams do need a middle weight scraper and Cummins last night was very stand up. He didn't try to wait for the other guy to drop his gloves or any of that stuff that simply got the refs thinking about instigator calls like Parker would do. After the run on Sakic he got opposit him during the faceoff, talked to him before the puck dropped to tell him it was comming and to protect himself and he went at it. Cummins has been productive as well. He looked great when I saw him skate at Family Sports.
Not to mention he could log 3rd line ice time if he had to....he does have some hockey instinct and ability....

Old
09-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
Not to mention he could log 3rd line ice time if he had to....he does have some hockey instinct and ability....
I certainly respect his ability to stand up and be a team guy like he did when he was protecting Sakic. As for his hockey instinct though, the only instinct he had last night after the fight was the instinct for the penalty box. I've been a bit surprised by how well he's played from the start of the preseason, but I think there are better players in the organization that should get a spot ahead of him. I don't think a middle weight fighter is necesary in the league now. It would be awesome to have a middle weight player that combines a skill (goal scoring or pk ability) with fighting, but that's not what Cummins is. I would be okay with Cummins if they got rid of McCallister, but I'm sure they won't do that. Having Chris McCallister and Jim Cummins on the team is carrying around two very low skilled players IMO and I don't see the need for that.

Old
09-26-2003, 01:08 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:

My cut predictions:
Cummins
Smith
McCormick

i think willsie will get cut before mccormick. he has shown absolutely nothing. and by nothing i mean i don't beleive he's dressed for more than 1, maybe 2 games. cummins, smith, and willsie will be the last 3 cuts IMO.

Old
09-26-2003, 01:09 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Thanx for the info . , so you think he'll make the team for sure ?
he has the #6 spot all wrapped up. mcallister has been playing forward(so he'll probably get the #7 d spot)and smith either hasn't palyed or played forward. thats a sign that he's as good as gone. lastnight, liles played right around 18 minutes i beleive. thats osmethign the avs have been needing and looking for for awhile...a #6 who can eat minutes up and play very strong hockey while doing it.

Old
09-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup
i think willsie will get cut before mccormick. he has shown absolutely nothing. and by nothing i mean i don't beleive he's dressed for more than 1, maybe 2 games. cummins, smith, and willsie will be the last 3 cuts IMO.
I would rather have McCormick than Willsie. I just think they would rather have McCormick start out in Hershey. Is he eligible to go back to juniors?

Old
09-26-2003, 02:19 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
I would rather have McCormick than Willsie. I just think they would rather have McCormick start out in Hershey. Is he eligible to go back to juniors?
i believe it's either the avs or bears for him. but i'm not sure.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:05 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
He has another year of OHL eligibility. However, he did not go to the Bull's training camp. He's either going to the AHL or NHL despite his eligibility.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Liles is comparable to Rafalski...I heard Slovak is somewhat like Lidstrom...

Old
09-26-2003, 04:18 PM
avfan#21

If Liles doesn't make this team I'll be totally surprised. The kid has obviously shown more skill at his position than Mac and Smith have in their game. It will be a crying shame to see him get sent down before he gets a few games in the regular season.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:48 AM
AvsGuy

I'm shocked to see Slovak cut. i was sure he'd make the team this season, and i was really hoping he would. oh well, good to see that Liles is still around...

Closed Thread