HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bernier/Quick Super Deal

Old
03-14-2010, 01:16 PM
danaluvsthekings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Unless Bernier starts playing time regularly at the NHL level, it will become an Al Montoya situation all over again. His value will fade eventually if not utilized the right way. While this is not the time to sell him, it's important that Lombardi doesn't waste him away in the minors without giving him a shot at the NHL level before dealing him. Sather was an idiot and never gave Montoya that chance.
I think sometimes people forget Bernier is still 21 years old. People remember the 4 games a couple of years ago when he was 19 and look at it like, "Well why isn't he in the NHL now?"

I don't think it's ever been in Lombardi's plan to "sell" Bernier. Lombardi and I think Bernier would be the first to tell you he had some growing up to do last season. I'm sure it stung that Quick ended up the starter in LA before he did.

I don't think there's a question among Kings fans that Bernier would have won the backup job at training camp in September of 09. He played better than Ersberg and might have played better than Quick. At the same time management wanted him playing all year opposed to sitting behind Quick. It doesn't do Bernier much good being a backup at 20 years old. Most Kings fans think Bernier will be in LA next season and he and Quick will be splitting the starts.

One last thing, if you can find comments from Lombardi talking about the Kings history of goalies, you can hear how much it annoys him that after 40+ years as a franchise, the Kings have never developed their own legitimate starting goaltender. They've had goalies come in from other organizations and do very well like Vachon. They've had some goalies be ok starters like Hrudey, guys who did well for awhile like Potvin. But as an organization they've never developed their own #1 top half of the NHL type goaltender. Quick's already set the franchise mark for wins in a season and he did that 2 weeks ago. Lombardi's not going to give up on Bernier easily if he thinks Bernier can be that top #1 goalie the Kings have never developed. If you look at the list of who's played goal for the Kings, 98% of the list reads like a who's who of crap. Don't believe me, click the tab and sort by position.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/d...s.php?tmi=6664

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:44 PM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicethug13x View Post
kings fans i can understand why youd want to keep both and let them battle it out....but from what i know youve also got 2 other very good goalie prospects....why not move bernier if the return can make your team signifacantly better?...you gusy are a very good team with bernier sitting in teh ahl...move him and adda very good player...a solid role player + a first rounder ...and that would make you guys a cup contendor..why not do it?
Yes, we do have Jones and Zatkoff. Have either of them played as well as Quick or Bernier in the AHL or NHL? No. And why can't we keep both and let them do the talking with their play? That's the way it should be, not selling either one of them just because we've seen Bernier play a handful of NHL games.

We are not looking to win a Cup this year. We are not looking to rush our goalies after 43 years of not having developed our own franchise goalie. (we did not develop Rogie Vachon)

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/03/13/...with-la-kings/

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Unless Bernier starts playing time regularly at the NHL level, it will become an Al Montoya situation all over again. His value will fade eventually if not utilized the right way. While this is not the time to sell him, it's important that Lombardi doesn't waste him away in the minors without giving him a shot at the NHL level before dealing him. Sather was an idiot and never gave Montoya that chance.

No, it won't.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I think value-wise Bernier ≈ Halak ≈ MPS ≈ #5-7 pick.

But LA is better off keeping Bernier for now.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I think value-wise Bernier ≈ Halak ≈ MPS ≈ #5-7 pick.

But LA is better off keeping Bernier for now.
I'm really not certain what those strange equal-signs are- and assuming they're equal signs I do NOT agree with you. MPS = Halak > Bernier.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
I'm really not certain what those strange equal-signs are- and assuming they're equal signs I do NOT agree with you. MPS = Halak > Bernier.
you've missed about 3/4ths of this thread

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
pmorris

Quote:
He's saying they're all roughly equal in value.

I personally agree with that assessment. However, from a team standpoint, the Kings wouldn't be wise to trade Bernier right now for any of that.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
So Cory Schneider who lead his team to the Calder Cup last year and was the AHL goalie of the year,isn't worth a 1 st round pick to you guys,but Bernier who just like Schneider is unproven at the NHL level,and has yet to accomplish what Schneider has at the AHL level,but is worth MPS+

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
So Cory Schneider who lead his team to the Calder Cup last year and was the AHL goalie of the year,isn't worth a 1 st round pick to you guys,but Bernier who just like Schneider is unproven at the NHL level,and has yet to accomplish what Schneider has at the AHL level,but is worth MPS+
Correct summary.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Kingjordan

If the Kings where to deal Bernier or Quick..

I think Quick would be the one traded...

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencerX View Post
Actually, on a serious note:

To LA:
Rights to Anton Volchenkov
Brian Lee
Pascal Leclaire
Jim O'Brien
Conditional 2011 1st (if Volchie signs for 2 years or less)

To Ottawa:
Jon Quick
Jack Johnson

A draft pick or two could be thrown in. But how does this look?
L.A. recieves a conditional 1st when Volchenko signs here ????
Is he that bad ????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Diskothek

Deal Quick when you get the chance, trust me. Bernier was a 93 rating on my NHL 09 Dynasty and led to many Stanely Cups.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Firstly, who the hell is MSP? Assuming you mean Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson, who is MPS, then:

A premier prospect for a thus far NHL-unproven rookie goaltender? Yeah, right.
I have a hard time to believe the Goalie with most wins in the NHL
and part of an olympic team is unproven.........

Maybe in oil country.

Fo the guys who complain about deifferent values between Kings goalies and
Habs goalies.
JUst the facts............
NOOOO there is valuewise no different.
buuuuuuuuut.................
The habs are in cap trouble next year. Without goalie lifting goalie salary there will be -4 mill in cap space after signings.
They can choose between adding 3 mill in matching offer sheets
or be forced to giving one away.
This fact makes the value on the market not the real value of the player.

The KIngs are not even close to salary trouble.
We are not in selling mode. IF a GM comes to the KIngs and asks for one of our Goalies, he has to overpay simply because we don't wanna sell them.

What's so difficult to understand ???????
The habs would be better with keeping both goalies and wait for a desperate team.
They could easily save money else where.

And now just my own opinion.........
IF your proposal is rejected it doesn't make any sense in digging out some other posts of people rip it completely out of sense and present it in other threads as a reason to makes someone looking stupid.

Dear Oilers fans.........
you have a hard long stoney way before you.
The next 5 years will be painfull and discusting.
Not a single team will trade good assets and just dump
their old garbage on you.
You will have just one highlight per year and that will be the drafting day.
All that will happen with a great management.
Pray to god you have one.

Believe me i'm a life time Kings fan

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote