HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

VERSUS back on DTV / FCC closes CSN Loophole

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
  #26
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Instead, they'll be unduly underpriced. Way to cut off Comcast's balls, FCC.
That line is just thrown in there, impossible to get at what that actually means in technical practice. It certainly doesn't mean that DirecTV, for example, gets Versus no matter what during a contract dispute.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
  #27
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Yep, Comcast is the dick.
they are the biggest dicks, even if not the only dicks.

[opinion, not fact ]

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
  #28
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That line is just thrown in there, impossible to get at what that actually means in technical practice. It certainly doesn't mean that DirecTV, for example, gets Versus no matter what during a contract dispute.
What else could it mean?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
  #29
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It certainly doesn't mean that DirecTV, for example, gets Versus no matter what during a contract dispute.

"Provisions for continued service during disputes"
I think means that company A cannot pull a channel B when negotiations are going on [for renewal] with Company C

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
  #30
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
What else could it mean?
Don't know exactly...but if that's what it meant, then the purchasing party would have every incentive to be obstructionist and dishonest in negotiations to perpetuate the stalemate.

There's no way that such a ruling would hold up in court to justify such behavior.

I would imagine if you look at the actual "provisions" there are some limited protections from having content immediately pulled or whatever...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
  #31
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
they are the biggest dicks, even if not the only dicks.

[opinion, not fact ]
They're all exactly the same: out to get theirs at the expense of their competitors.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:10 PM
  #32
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Don't know exactly...but if that's what it meant, then the purchasing party would have every incentive to be obstructionist and dishonest in negotiations to perpetuate the stalemate.

There's no way that such a ruling would hold up in court to justify such behavior.

I would imagine if you look at the actual "provisions" there are some limited protections from having content immediately pulled or whatever...

It does seem grossly anti-competitive on it's face.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
  #33
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
$$$$$
How does that make any sense at all in your head?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
  #34
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
How does that make any sense at all in your head?
??? what rock have you been under:

their motivation is to turn a buck, and they resort to treating some of their customers poorly in order to do that.

[ie: Philly sports teams fans nationwide [including Comcast customers] get no access to CSN Philly on competitors.

fans of other teams nationwide [including Comcast customers] are allowed access to their CSN on competitors]

pay attention.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
  #35
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They're all exactly the same: out to get theirs at the expense of their competitors.
nope.

the difference being:

only Comcast has decided not to treat all of it's customers the same, in order to turn that buck.

BIG difference there.

* if Comcast did not supply every other RSN that it owns to its competitors, then denying CSN Philly would be no big deal .... in that case, one could not say they treat some of their customers better than others in order to turn a buck.


** then again if the Queen had balls, she'd be King

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
  #36
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
nope.

the difference being:

only Comcast has decided not to treat all of it's customers the same, in order to turn that buck.

BIG difference there.

* if Comcast did not supply every other RSN that it owns to its competitors, then denying CSN Philly would be no big deal .... in that case, one could not say they treat some of their customers better than others in order to turn a buck.


** then again if the Queen had balls, she'd be King
Dude, that argument didn't get any less dumb in the month since you last peddled it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
  #37
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
??? what rock have you been under:

their motivation is to turn a buck, and they resort to treating some of their customers poorly in order to do that.

[ie: Philly sports teams fans nationwide [including Comcast customers] get no access to CSN Philly on competitors.

fans of other teams nationwide [including Comcast customers] are allowed access to their CSN on competitors]

pay attention.
Oh I've been paying attention, Bernforth. We - you and I - established a month ago how Philly sports fans nationwide who have Comcast do NOT receive CSN-P. So they're not losing anything when they have DTV. So there's no motive for money there. They're not forcing a nationwide audience to switch to terrestrial cable to see their Philly sports teams and Daily News Live, simply because it's not available to anyone outside this market.

Also, that demographic is so ridiculously small in the grand scheme, I cannot fathom why you insist on making them the center point of your discourse. Even smaller still are those phantom few who inexplicably subscribe to Comcast and a satellite service.

Comcast is not out to alienate their fan base. That would be bad business. What they've been doing with the loophole and negotiating tactics - to the dissatisfaction of your bleeding heart - is good business - especially to those who matter most: the stockholders.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
  #38
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude, that argument didn't get any less dumb in the month since you last peddled it.
How dare you!

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
  #39
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
How dare you!
I mean, it's so ridiculous that if I didn't know he was serious, I'd assume it was sarcastic humor.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
  #40
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude, that argument didn't get any less dumb in the month since you last peddled it.
Dude, you acknowledged that Comcast does this:



in order to turn that buck.

bury your head in the sand and pretend it'll go away, but there is no denying this.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
  #41
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post

Comcast is not out to alienate their fan base.


which is exactly what they've been doing.

experts say they'll lose 450,000 customers once the FCC is sucessful in making them stop this practice.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
  #42
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Bernie, why not use multi-post if you're going to post that ridiculous gif...at least then you won't be cluttering the server with that idiocy twice.

As said, multiple times, your argument is terrible. It is completely nonsensical, it is devoid of any understanding of business practices as a whole, and is just plain biased from start to finish with regard to Comcast.

Everyone else is allowed to look out for their bottom line, but Comcast isn't? You're about as fair and balanced as FOX News.


Which brings us to this gem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
experts say they'll lose 450,000 customers once the FCC is sucessful in making them stop this practice.
According to you, Comcast should have just lost 450,000 customers without putting up a fight, or taking any measures to avoid that.

That's just dumb...I'm sorry, but it is.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
  #43
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
you can choose to ignore the facts, but there are COMCAST customers [people who pay comcast huge amounts of money for services] nationwide who are being denied access to their favorite teams home town CSN [Philly] via satellite, while other COMCAST customers nationwide are given access to their favorite teams home town CSN [DC, CHI etc etc] via satellite.



you can say that you don't care that they do this, and justify it any way you like, but when you try to convince everyone that it is not going on, you look nonsensical.

Comcast is certainly allowed to try and squeeze every last cent out of their customers ..... go for it !!!


but when they made the decision to treat the fans of the Philly teams worse than every other fan of every other team nationwide, then the consumers will call them out on it.
-------------------

you think Comcast Cable customers living across the country who happen to be fans of the Philly teams [and who cannot get CSN Philly on their cable- they don't live in Philly]

(while every other comcast cable customer nationwide who are fans of every other team in the country can get their favorite team's CSN via satellite)


should simply 'do without' CSN Philly, and accept the unequal treatment without complaining??

----------------------

sorry, but that's not how real life is: when a company is screwing some of it's own customers in order to squeeze every last cent out of them, those customers are going to call them out on it.

and demand change.

whch is FINALLY coming!!!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:01 AM
  #44
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
you can choose to ignore the facts, but there are COMCAST customers [people who pay comcast huge amounts of money for services] nationwide who are being denied access to their favorite teams home town CSN [Philly] via satellite, while other COMCAST customers nationwide are given access to their favorite teams home town CSN [DC, CHI etc etc] via satellite.
The only one ignoring facts in this argument has been you. Having Comcast has ZERO effect on the channels satellite can carry. None whatsoever. Stop making yourself appear so freakin' braindead.

All nationwide people can receive CSN-DC and none CSN-PHL. Good, everyone's getting the same channels then and IS being treated equally. You already know why CSN-PHL hasn't been available on satellite, and it has nothing to do with picking out certain fans and everything to do with technology. You've acknowledged this, but keep going off on your supplemental tangent like a chicken with its head cut off. Do us all a favor and drop this charade. No one is this thick. And do us a favor and delete this fake account, because this persona can't be a real person.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
  #45
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Comcast customers who move from Philly cannot still follow their home teams on CSN Philly - comcast does not offer it on cable outside of Philly & they deny them satellite access.

Comcast customers who move from DC can still follow their home teams on CSN DC - comcast does not offer it on cable outside of Philly, but they allow them satellite access.

if you are too blind or biased to see that Comcast treats the two groups of COMCAST CUSTOMERS unequally, that is your problem.


you must work for them, or have a fake account, nobody can be that stupid.


Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-17-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
  #46
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Bernie, did a Comcast exec break up your marriage or something?

As said, your argument is essentially that Comcast should willfully, and with full knowledge create a scenario where they lose 450,000 customers (who are paying monthly fees of what, $100+ on average?). That is such a patently dumb argument it's absurd...you're making them out to be "bad guys" for running a for-profit business.

But, OK, lets do some role playing (not the fun kind). You are a Comcast executive, and you, given your position, would have made CSN-Philly readily available and cost Comcast 450,000 paying customers. Now you have to go to a shareholders meeting and justify your decision.

How do you justify your decision?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
  #47
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Comcast customers who move from Philly cannot still follow their home teams on CSN Philly - comcast does not offer it on cable outside of Philly & they deny them satellite access.

Comcast customers who move from DC can still follow their home teams on CSN DC - comcast does not offer it on cable outside of Philly, but they allow them satellite access.

if you are too blind or biased to see that Comcast treats the two groups of COMCAST CUSTOMERS unequally, that is your problem.


you must work for them, or have a fake account, nobody can be that stupid.
Yeah, you caught me, I'm actually Jester, DaveinPA, and might2mash all at once, along with every other person who's ready this and the last thread and decided to call you out. Comcast customers are all allowed to view their local RSN. That's it. I still don't understand why you are trying to correlate the two services together other than it helps you repeatedly struggle to prove your point which we're all hearing (so much our ears are bleeding), but it just makes zero sense. "Hey Pepsi, I buy from you and Coca-Cola, why won't Coke let me get Sprite through you?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
  #48
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Yeah, you caught me, I'm actually Jester, DaveinPA, and might2mash all at once, along with every other person who's ready this and the last thread and decided to call you out. Comcast customers are all allowed to view their local RSN. That's it. I still don't understand why you are trying to correlate the two services together other than it helps you repeatedly struggle to prove your point which we're all hearing (so much our ears are bleeding), but it just makes zero sense. "Hey Pepsi, I buy from you and Coca-Cola, why won't Coke let me get Sprite through you?
IRRELEVANT MISDIRECTION! Soda is not regulated by the FCC!

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
  #49
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bernie, did a Comcast exec break up your marriage or something?
Jester, would you like me to start making similar comments?

or will you stop before it goes any further?

your choice.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:07 PM
  #50
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Comcast customers who move from Philly cannot still follow their home teams on CSN Philly - comcast does not offer it on cable outside of Philly & they deny them satellite access.

Comcast customers who move from DC can still follow their home teams on CSN DC - comcast does not offer it on cable outside of Philly, but they allow them satellite access.

if you are too blind or biased to see that Comcast treats the two groups of COMCAST CUSTOMERS unequally, that is your problem.


you must work for them, or have a fake account, nobody can be that stupid.
My Dearest Bernard,

Yay though I long to continue this discourse, it has been apparent for many a fortnight that ye continue to denyth thine own argument's shortcomings. Whilst it be convenient for a Missouri knave to follow the Capitals of the District of Columbia on one channel, but not the Flyers of Philadelphia, through the celestial satellite services and into their television machines, the gods have decided in their infinite wisdom that CSN-DC and CSN-P are in fact two different, though similarly named channels.

Mine own eyes have witnesseth through the miracles of the interwebs your repeated ignorance of the fact that nary a soul - regardless of race, color, creed, or cable service - outside the City of Brotherly Love television dome can receive the glory of CSN-P.

And further thou continue to boast of many souls who inexplicably chooseth to purchase multiple cable services without presence of fact, reference, or reason.

Oh my sweet Bernard! Cast aside your doubts and prejudices! No longer shall ye be frought with thine own illegal loopholes and fraud if thou wouldst but embrace standard, reasonable business practices! No longer dost thou need to feel betrayed by Glorious Comcast if thou wouldst simply admit in your heart what I have stated - what be fact - that nary a soul - regardless of race, color, creed, or cable service - outside the City of Brotherly Love television dome can receive the glory of CSN-P.

I pray, Bernforth, thou will see the light. My heart yearns...

My deepest love,

i am dave

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.