HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik defensive negligence

Old
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
MESSY11

vCash: 500
Gaborik defensive negligence

I like Gaby he is a great player but is it me or he is horrible when he has the puck in our zone I mean common dude pass the damn puck to your own teammates wtf he just flings it anywhere.. if this was Redden (waste of a roster spot and cap room) everybody would be going crazy. Even in the offensive zone he just flings the puck carelessly. Lately I feel nervous (rather then excited) when he is out there on the ice. There is a reason why we won when he was out. I think Torts needs to address that situation, now is no time for lazy nonchalant hockey.

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

What if he's playing hurt?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I think he's playing tired more than anything.

The guy needs help. What he was doing in the beginning of the season was unbelievable, but there was only so long he could keep that going.

We need other skill players to help him out, especially a legit center.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
XLJ

I think it is a little of both he is worn out and hurt. He has played a ton if you include the olympics.

The rangers need to add at least two players maybe three to there top 6 next year. Gaborik needs a playmaking center that is better than Christensen. And they need to find a skilled winger that can score goals who can play with Dubinsky on the 2nd line. I'm not even sure about Prospal he is having a great year but can the rangers really count on a 35-36 year old next year to provide the same type of production.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
pwoz

Taylor Hall!

Taylor Hall!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:02 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The rangers need to add at least two players maybe three to there top 6 next year. Gaborik needs a playmaking center that is better than Christensen. And they need to find a skilled winger that can score goals who can play with Dubinsky on the 2nd line. I'm not even sure about Prospal he is having a great year but can the rangers really count on a 35-36 year old next year to provide the same type of production.
that is exactly what I think. Gaborik plays as playmaker because pass in the right moment is not coming to him. So he is playmaking others, but none is giving him a puck when he is in the right spot. Only goal I can lately remember was the one from Drury. Maybe he should be paired with him.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
lbrowne

Defensive game?

At this point I'd rather him play with the defensive concern of Ovechkin.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Absolutely, let's turn our only legitimate scoring threat into a defensively responsible checker!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:59 PM
haveandare

He hasn't played more than 48 games in a season since 2005 and he only played more than 65 from 2000 - 2002. This season he has played 63 NHL games and 5 Olympic games.

He hasn't played this many games since 2002-2003, thats pretty crazy.

I assume that he's at least a little worn out compared to the way he started the season, and I can't really blame him. He's been a one man show more or less.

Of the top 20 point leaders in the league, the only ones who don't have a teammate in the top 20 are Patrick Kane, Brad Richards, Anze Kopitar and Gaborik. If you look at the top 30 scorers, only Kopitar and Gaborik don't have a teammate on the list. The second highest point player on the Kings is Doughty at 55th in the league and the second highest point player on the Rangers is Prospal at 54th. Most rediculously, of the top 150 point scorers so far this season there are 8 L.A. Kings and 4 New York Rangers, 1 of which is Jokinen who is new and may not be here next season. The others aside from Gaborik and Jokinen are Prospal, who is questionable for next season and Callahan, who I think is playing the best hockey of his career. Gaborik needs more support. He and Kopitar are the only elite scorers without another elite scorer on their team and Koptiar has twice the amount of secondary scorers that Gaborik has. Unlike the other elite scorers in the league, he lacks another elite player and a sufficient amount of second tier guys to support him. On the plus side, Callahan and Dubinksy are becoming legit secondary scoring threats (just for reference, Dubi is rank 159 currently). I realize that being top 20 or 30 in points for the season doesn't objectively determine who is "elite" and that being in the top 150 doesn't objectively tell who is "secondary scorer" but I think looking at it this way provides a rough glimpse at the lack of point scorers surrounding Gaborik compared to other very successful scorers this season.

Combine the fact that he hasn't played this many games since he was 21 and the lack of support he has around him and it makes sense that he would be a little worn out by now. He is going to need more support before this team is going to look to make a serious playoff run. Callahan and Dubinsky are developing well and Del Zotto seems to have a bright future in terms of scoring, but few other players look to be the kind of scoring support that talent like Gaborik's needs to perform to its fullest potential.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

I've been screaming for months that this is the most he has ever planed in his acareer. Gabs is tired & hurt....Honestly at this point I think he is hurting us more than helping us. We played decently without him in the lineup, I think he should sit for a bit & get healthly.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
trilobyte

We all know that Gaborik has performed very well. If the team surrounding him was up to snuff, there would be no discussion.
There is a cost associated with too much reliance on one player.

Look at the team NYR lost to tonight. They lost their main man Cammalleri, and have been without him for quite some time. What did they do? They rallied around themselves and found a way to be better than the sum of their parts. And if you think I am exaggerating things, I am not. They have pulled out some clutch wins lately.

A tale of two teams. One loses their big scorer and still improves. The other looks like they can do without their own star, but then go on to show that you guessed wrong, and what you thought they could do is not to be counted on. Not only did you think that YOU had figured it out, you actually thought that THEY had figured it out.

I guess I was wrong, once again, about this team.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:50 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think he's hurt. I DONT think he's tired. He's in great shape. He's not playing CRAZY minutes, sure, he's playing and has played a great deal of minutes, but its nothing unrealistic. I get that he's had the injury histories, but I think people think way too much when they say Gabby is "tired."

I also think we're getting very over-analytical when we say he's a defensive liability. His defensive game has been fine, and is much better than most "superstars." I was very surprised to see how good his game in the defensive zone was when we first got him. This thread is ludicrous, IMO.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Micheletti is crazy if he doenst think Gabby is still hurt. Gabby is skating about 1/2 as fast as he usually does, he definitely is not at 100%.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:33 AM
CaptainCallahan*

Here is a reference on the defensive play of top scorers around the league

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:53 AM
John Torturella

Gaborik better be hurt. If not and he is just strolling around out there its pathetic. The guy does not generate ANY offense and we would probably be better if we sat the injured player. He is clearly not effective at all and seems to shy away from contact or skating hard at any cost. If he is hurt there is no sense in running him out there when we will miss the playoffs either way.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
94now

He is no good whatever the reason. His stick handing has never been a strong part. Now when his skating is affected by groin injury he is practically useless. He should be sat or put on IR, but I don't think Slats and Torts will go for it, as a whole storm could erupt around the event.
I thought the Olympics will kill Lundqvist, but I was wrong, it killed the second guy of our two men crew called NYR.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
ogie

while we are at it i have to say that Lundqvist's lack of offensive skills are really harming this teams chances of getting into the playoffs. I mean he is a great goalie and all but if he doesn't start putting up some points we will never make it.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
I think he's hurt, and I was going to post something similar this morning.

Where I see it most, isn't necessarily at top speed.

I see it when he tries to stop suddenly and change direction.

Alot of his goals would come off a short stop, change direction, receive pass, bury it.

He doesn't seem to be stopping as short and turning as hard, which all could be true if his groin is still bothering him.

I have no proof, just going by eye alone.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

He's not finding the open spaces to get the shot off, and when he shoots it seems like every shot is blocked or misses the net...of course Christenen is not Adam Oates...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
while we are at it i have to say that Lundqvist's lack of offensive skills are really harming this teams chances of getting into the playoffs. I mean he is a great goalie and all but if he doesn't start putting up some points we will never make it.
Thank you kind sir.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:07 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
good point, Lundqvist's offensive production has been embarrassing all season. I can't believe we didn't deal him at the deadline for whatever we could get.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
MESSY11

guys if he's hurt he needs to sit. if we are going to make the playoffs we need to do it with out him.. let him get rested and heal in time for the playoffs because if we make it with him he will pretty much be useless (as he seems right now). I just wish he used the olympic break to heal (he got hurt before the oympics and had a very legit excuse not to play) now he looks worn out and hurt

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Doctor Strange

Eh, let him play.
Worry not...even if we make the playoffs (which I doubt) we will not be in there that long, anyroad...

Doctor Strange is offline   Reply With Quote