HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leighton has a high ankle sprain; Leighton Out 8-10 Weeks.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
If you have them tied tight there shouldn't be an issue with twisting an ankle unless you go into the boards feet first, but someone earlier said goalie skates are shorter than position player skates which I completely forgot about.
It really doesnt matter how tight they are, or even if they are player skates. If something hits your foot at the right angle your ankle will twist and if it were somehow that tight, your knee would twist which would be even worse. Either way, most pro players dont tie their skates super tight, they would rather have the ability to have some ankle movement to make sharper cuts.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
It really doesnt matter how tight they are, or even if they are player skates. If something hits your foot at the right angle your ankle will twist and if it were somehow that tight, your knee would twist which would be even worse. Either way, most pro players dont tie their skates super tight, they would rather have the ability to have some ankle movement to make sharper cuts.
I never had a problem with twisting ankles in hockey skates. I even played games on sprained ankles and had no issues.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Frank says Duchense will get the call.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
I never had a problem with twisting ankles in hockey skates. I even played games on sprained ankles and had no issues.
Are you talking a sprained ankle...or a high ankle sprain?

They are two different things.

Cuz if it's a regular ankle sprain, then, yes, skates do a good job of protecting you from that and/or supporting it if it is injured.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:37 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Lol, well that's great superman, but I suspect you never experienced a serious ankle sprain or the right set of circumstances for it to happen. Fact of the matter is, it definitely can happen. I sprained my ankle playing ice hockey more than once. The last time it happened was very severe...it was over 5 years ago, and it still bothers me each and every day. I hit a pretty big dude up against the glass, he fell back on me, my one leg was in a bad spot, and all the weight of him and me drove straight onto my ankle as it buckled beneath me. I shudder just thinking about it.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
A skate supports the ankle really well but "high ankle sprain" is sort of a misnomer. They should call them lower shin sprains or something, since they really don't have much to do with the actual ankle. The way it was explained to me is that when the foot gets turned there are ligaments between the two bones in your lower leg that get stretched or torn.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Frank says Duchense will get the call.
What could be better then having a goalie who was in the ECHL next week be our backup?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I can't believe that an injury to Michael Leighton of all people has us totally hosed heading into the playoffs. Now watch, here's where Boosh goes off like he did with the Sharks. I can hope, right?

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What could be better then having a goalie who was in the ECHL next week be our backup?
Hey, Yutaka Fukufuji did the same thing. He was in the right organization at the right time to get the call. And he even got into a few games. And the Kings were terrible anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I can't believe that an injury to Michael Leighton of all people has us totally hosed heading into the playoffs. Now watch, here's where Boosh goes off like he did with the Sharks. I can hope, right?
Boucher has displayed the ability throughout his career to become completely unconscious for stretches of games...so, yes, there is some hope.

Old
03-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
A skate supports the ankle really well but "high ankle sprain" is sort of a misnomer. They should call them lower shin sprains or something, since they really don't have much to do with the actual ankle. The way it was explained to me is that when the foot gets turned there are ligaments between the two bones in your lower leg that get stretched or torn.
All I know is that they hurt like a son of a ***** and don't go away quickly.

Old
03-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Bryz4shiz

Hey Boucher didn't do half bad for us in 00. We got to the conference finals with him once and their is no reason to think we won't be able to do at least that again.

Bryz4shiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Not sure how a high ankle sprain will effect a goalie but last year when Kane suffered it and played thru it he struggled for about a month and half

At time of his injury he was top 10 in scoring (if my memory is correct) and then struggled for a while.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Flyers GM Holmgren Signs Shooter Tutor to Contract

Philadelphia - March 16, 2010. Just 3 hours after the loss of starting goaltender Michael Leighton, Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren announced the signing of a Shooter Tutor for the final playoff run.

The deal is reported to be a one-year $79.99 deal, with a reported No Movement Clause. GM Holmgren confirmed the deal with the local Wal-Mart moments after the Flyers' shootout loss to the Nashville Predators.

Wal-Mart Assistant Supervisor Grant Smiley acknowledged that the deal had been brewing for weeks.

"Yeah, Mr. Holmgren has been coming in since January and lingering in the sports department," said Smiley. "We had to ask him to leave several times at store closing. The Shooter Tutor has been up on display since October, and, truth be told, he just missed the special in our circular two weeks ago."

Smiley indicated that Holmgren "appeared agitated" while waiting in the express line. "He said he thought the woman in the relaxed-fit jogging pants was looking to outbid him.

"The price was $48.99, but Mr. Holmgren offered the cashier $79.99 and threw in a second-round draft pick. I don't know much about the NHL draft, but we could use another assistant inventory clerk."

To clear salary cap space, Flyers winger Claude Giroux was put on waivers.
I just laughed really really hard, but then I cried a bit, because its a little too probably.

Bryz4shiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:55 AM
KaraLupin
카라

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:08 AM
StanJonathan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Not sure how a high ankle sprain will effect a goalie but last year when Kane suffered it and played thru it he struggled for about a month and half

At time of his injury he was top 10 in scoring (if my memory is correct) and then struggled for a while.
See Hannu Toivonen :

With Andrew Raycroft sitting out due to a contract dispute, Toivonen started the 200506 NHL season as the Bruins' backup goaltender. He made his NHL debut on October 8, 2005 against the Pittsburgh Penguins, coming away with an overtime win. He holds the distinction of allowing the first goal of Sidney Crosby's career in that game. On December 1, 2005, he recorded his first NHL shutout, blanking the Ottawa Senators. Toivonen was 954 with a 2.63 GAA and a .914 SV% before suffering a high ankle sprain in January that effectively ended his season

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJonathan View Post
See Hannu Toivonen :

With Andrew Raycroft sitting out due to a contract dispute, Toivonen started the 200506 NHL season as the Bruins' backup goaltender. He made his NHL debut on October 8, 2005 against the Pittsburgh Penguins, coming away with an overtime win. He holds the distinction of allowing the first goal of Sidney Crosby's career in that game. On December 1, 2005, he recorded his first NHL shutout, blanking the Ottawa Senators. Toivonen was 954 with a 2.63 GAA and a .914 SV% before suffering a high ankle sprain in January that effectively ended his season

Funny you would use him as an example as the Hawks just picked him up last month.

Still looks like he might have some NHL potential (As a backup) from what I have seen of him so far.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:15 AM
Crossbar Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Oh yah we can definitely win the cup now

I like

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Funny you would use him as an example as the Hawks just picked him up last month.

Still looks like he might have some NHL potential (As a backup) from what I have seen of him so far.
Him and Holmqvist could bust out the splits like no other. Problem was that it was like half his game when he was with the Bruins. I haven't seen him since though, maybe he's rounded his skill set out.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:24 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:

Philadelphia - March 16, 2010. Just 3 hours after the loss of starting goaltender Michael Leighton, Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren announced the signing of a Shooter Tutor for the final playoff run.

The deal is reported to be a one-year $79.99 deal, with a reported No Movement Clause. GM Holmgren confirmed the deal with the local Wal-Mart moments after the Flyers' shootout loss to the Nashville Predators.

Wal-Mart Assistant Supervisor Grant Smiley acknowledged that the deal had been brewing for weeks.

"Yeah, Mr. Holmgren has been coming in since January and lingering in the sports department," said Smiley. "We had to ask him to leave several times at store closing. The Shooter Tutor has been up on display since October, and, truth be told, he just missed the special in our circular two weeks ago."

Smiley indicated that Holmgren "appeared agitated" while waiting in the express line. "He said he thought the woman in the relaxed-fit jogging pants was looking to outbid him.

"The price was $48.99, but Mr. Holmgren offered the cashier $79.99 and threw in a second-round draft pick. I don't know much about the NHL draft, but we could use another assistant inventory clerk."

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Hey guys, check out who made the saves of the week for the second week in a row. I don't know how Raycroft wasn't higher, btw.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:01 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:

Just awesome. If you came up with this yourself Bernie, I tip my tuque to you.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

The hilarity of giving a shooter tutor a "no movement" clause is still cracking me up.

Old
03-17-2010, 06:31 AM
jb**

might as well sign jeff reese as well. what a mickey mouse orginization when it comes to goaltending. what the hell sign the swede and throw him into the fire as they are nto goign to win anyway.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Well, this sucks. But injuries happen. I liked Leighton as a starter. What if we had traded for another goalie?
Would we still be stuck with boosh as the backup if THAT goalie got hurt?
Probably

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote