HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts put the kibosh of Rangers players/parents trip

Old
03-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Richard Brads

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Having one is essentially a non-story. Not having one is essentially a non-story. Having one and then taking it away, that's a story. That's the difference here. That's the issue here.

Not the first time someone has made a comment like this. It's pretty ridiculous. Running the Garden of Dreams and winning are not mutually exclusive. Supporting the Garden of Dreams doesn't detract from winning. They can do both at the same time, one has nothing to do with the other, believe me. (I also found it interesting that "New York Rangers" was ranked ahead of "Winning")

This isn't a video game. Those guys out there on the ice, they're actually people. You know, human beings. The parents' trip in and of itself is not really important. But that and other functions in the same vein are done as a means to make the players feel appreciated, and bring them together as a team, to make them feel a part of something bigger than themselves, and to cultivate some loyalty to and appreciation of the organization and the sweater they pull on every day. And when you add it all up, it matters. Anyone who has every played sports at any significant level or anyone who has ever worked in professional sports knows this is undeniably true. And in absolutely no way does this stuff have any negative effect on players' performance.

Shouldn't.

Again, this has absolutely no effect on their ability to win games. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.
i really hate when people pick specific points on someone's post. it's arrogant. so i'll pick this one out of yours:

"This isn't a video game. Those guys out there on the ice, they're actually people. You know, human beings. The parents' trip in and of itself is not really important. But that and other functions in the same vein are done as a means to make the players feel appreciated, and bring them together as a team, to make them feel a part of something bigger than themselves, and to cultivate some loyalty to and appreciation of the organization and the sweater they pull on every day. And when you add it all up, it matters. Anyone who has every played sports at any significant level or anyone who has ever worked in professional sports knows this is undeniably true. And in absolutely no way does this stuff have any negative effect on players' performance."

go read theo fleury's book. see if he or the other guys on those teams felt like something 'bigger'. are these the dark days like they were then? no. but you know what, we have about as good a chance at winning the cup now as we did in '02, and the team sure as hell plays like the dark days sometimes.

don't get me wrong, garden of dreams is a terrific cause, as is a lot of other things MSG does, but lets face it, MSG is a PR machine. denying that is naive

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Perhaps Sather is paying Brooks for these articles in order to divert attention away from the real problem.
He's not paying him. He could be just one of his "sources".

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
go read theo fleury's book. see if he or the other guys on those teams felt like something 'bigger'. are these the dark days like they were then? no. but you know what, we have about as good a chance at winning the cup now as we did in '02, and the team sure as hell plays like the dark days sometimes.
Yeah let's base our opinions of the organization on Theo Fleury's perspective. Theo Fluery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
don't get me wrong, garden of dreams is a terrific cause, as is a lot of other things MSG does, but lets face it, MSG is a PR machine. denying that is naive
Whether of not the Garden of Dreams is important and whatever the Garden does with respect to public relations has absolutely nothing to do with the Rangers' ability to put a good product on the ice and the Rangers players' ability to perform at their best. So, who cares.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

The Post should put the kibosh on Larry.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
94now

Quote:

Whether of not the Garden of Dreams is important and whatever the Garden does with respect to public relations has absolutely nothing to do with the Rangers' ability to put a good product on the ice and the Rangers players' ability to perform at their best. So, who cares.
Garden of Dreams is a tax write-off for Dolan. A lots of money. As such it is very important.

As I pointed out many times, Torts, although a jerk, is a good coach. However no coach in the universe can make a winner out of this pity group. Therefore someone who is not a jerk would be much better to put up with compared to semi-crazy out of control uncivilized animal we've got.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
The Post should put the kibosh on Larry.
Surprised to see you saying that.

Sather should be Brooks' best friend at this point. LB's articles are setting the stage that will allow Sather to portray yet another coach as the scapegoat for his terribly flawed rosters.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
As I pointed out many times, Torts, although a jerk, is a good coach. However no coach in the universe can make a winner out of this pity group. Therefore someone who is not a jerk would be much better to put up with compared to semi-crazy out of control uncivilized animal we've got.
I don't even disagree with that. My only point is, what happens on the ice is not affected in any way by the Garden of Dreams and any of the Garden's public relations activities.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Sather should be Brooks' best friend at this point. LB's articles are setting the stage that will allow Sather to portray yet another coach as the scapegoat for his terribly flawed rosters.
Yep. And let's not forget that Larry Brooks is the only reporter who actually writes about hockey all year round. I seriously doubt the Post is upset in anyway with him.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
NCRanger

If Larry Brooks' articles lead to Torts being shown the door, I'm all for the articles.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
If Larry Brooks' articles lead to Torts being shown the door, I'm all for the articles.
How is that going to change anything? It's not like any of the other coaching changes in the last 15 years have made a significant difference.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

I seriously doubt either man's job is in jeopardy. And LB is so unprofessional it's ridiculous. It seems like every day he tries to dig up some garbage to say how bad torts is. Torts has been great for this team.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I seriously doubt either man's job is in jeopardy. And LB is so unprofessional it's ridiculous. It seems like every day he tries to dig up some garbage to say how bad torts is. Torts has been great for this team.
Here's a *great fact - we have the worst home record in the conference. How does that make you feel? The season ticket holders feel? GREAT?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
How is that going to change anything? It's not like any of the other coaching changes in the last 15 years have made a significant difference.
You can't say Tom Renney didn't make a significant difference in his tenure here.

Quote:
Respectfully, no, he really hasn't. This is not even up for debate anymore.

Old
03-17-2010, 08:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Torts has been great for this team.
I can't believe that even you believe this.

03-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Yeah let's base our opinions of the organization on Theo Fleury's perspective. Theo Fluery.
are you implying that what's in his book is untrue? does ANYTHING that happened during those seven years point to the contrary of what he wrote?

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:40 AM
94now

Quote:
Digging up the garbage is exactly what good reporter is supposed to do. Brooks does his job well. Tortorella, on the other hand, does not do his well. The only good Torts did was showing to the world that Renney was covering Sathers mistakes well. He exposed Sather's inadequacy, in other words. In that regard he was good for the team.

Old
03-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Digging up the garbage is exactly what good reporter is supposed to do. Brooks does his job well. Tortorella, on the other hand, does not do his well. The only good Torts did was showing to the world that Renney was covering Sathers mistakes well. He exposed Sather's inadequacy, in other words. In that regard he was good for the team.
I don't agree with you often 94...

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Here's a *great fact - we have the worst home record in the conference. How does that make you feel? The season ticket holders feel? GREAT?

Yeah Torts skating has been bad this year. His goals are down too he just looks snakebitten right now

Old
03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Yeah Torts skating has been bad this year. His goals are down too he just looks snakebitten right now
Yeah you're right, Torts has nothing to do with it.

Honestly, I'm done.

Old
03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Respectfully, no, he really hasn't. This is not even up for debate anymore.
I agree. It's pretty obvious he has been great. Just look last year where we were before him and after. Look at our O before he arrived and after. Look at the PP before and after.

Old
03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
We're on pace for 83 points, and about to miss the playoffs. Since the lockout, we've never finished with less than 94 points. The talent is essentially the same as it has been, so why are we 5 wins worse?

I think the argument can be made that Torts hasn't been bad for us, but...he's been good for us? Can't understand that at all.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
It's one thing to dig up garbage and another to basically create it. Also good reporters don't simply dig up garbage, they objectively explain what has been going on. LB brings his anti-torts agenda into everything he does. He takes shots at the team because as he himself has said, it was funny.

Old
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We're on pace for 83 points, and about to miss the playoffs. Since the lockout, we've never finished with less than 94 points. The talent is essentially the same as it has been, so why are we 5 wins worse?

I think the argument can be made that Torts hasn't been bad for us, but...he's been good for us? Can't understand that at all.
Five wins isn't a huge number so I think it can be explained by a few causes. First, last year we had a reliable backup goalie, this year not so much. Chris Drury has nothing offensively left in the tank, last year he was still a 50 pt guy. Avery has slacked off, although Torts benching him just restarted him which is good to see. Our D is incredibly young, much younger than last so you'd expect some growing pains.

I acknowledge there is a debate here, I only said what I said before in response to a specific post.

Old
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
I don't want to hear the talent argument and it's Sather's fault Torts has little to work with. Look at Scott Gordon, he's got little to work with but you know what his team gives an honest effort every night and plays hard. This team on the other hand is exactly what its record shows, they are an average team that plays inconsistent hockey. And Torts has done a poor job getting the best out of his players.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The talent argument sucks. As rangers32185 said, it's the effort. This team shows none. I wouldn't be as upset with the team if they played balls to the wall every game and lost. They don't though. We see some games when they play that way and they win. Instead they play like pansies night in and night out.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote