HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Harrow 300 Review

Old
03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
My Harrow isn't cut at all and is a 100 flex I guess, I should be using a 115 or 120 but really cannot find that easily unless I get a one95 for tall guys that they make as an alternative to the regular One95.
Harrow is adding a 125 flex shaft. Along with a #8 curve, similar to the TPS Nash.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd love to see what that #8 curve looks like. I seemed to shoot well with the Sakic, except that everything went two feet over the net.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Gotta finish closed with p92-style blades. That's why I love them for defense, close your hands up and you can take nice low hard snap shots or you can finish open a little and go for corners from the point.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

On D I like a closed mid curve, just because it keeps those shots nice and low. The P92 was fun for shooting off the rush to hit corners...but if you are a little off with the slapper or snapper, it could flop up on you.

The #4 acts like a shallower, neutral face Sakic. You cup the puck much the same way, but instead of ripping the puck right up in the air, the puck stays a little lower.

Side note, Easton is coming out with a Chara curve that is like a neutral faced Sakic. Should be fun.

Old
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Harrow is adding a 125 flex shaft. Along with a #8 curve, similar to the TPS Nash.

Nice! Thanks for posting that! I weigh 245lbs and should be using a 120 flex or something around there. I want to try one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Gotta finish closed with p92-style blades. That's why I love them for defense, close your hands up and you can take nice low hard snap shots or you can finish open a little and go for corners from the point.
That is why I like the #7 Lidstrom / Getzlaf / Samsonov equivalent. It sauces very well too. It was a tough pattern to get used to and it takes some thought into curkling the followthrough as to not shoot over the net with it.

it is working for me, I bought my first one on clearance for cheaps and figured it would be a backup but I ended up using it as my mainstay blade. It does a lot for sure.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-12-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FYI, the last two games I've switched back to my old stick. I just can't hit the net consistently with this pattern. I'm going to order a #2 curve when money allows.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:46 PM
difren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
FYI, the last two games I've switched back to my old stick. I just can't hit the net consistently with this pattern. I'm going to order a #2 curve when money allows.
If I remember correctly the #2 is the Coffey clone. I've been using a Sherwood RM9 Coffey that fit well with the Harrow shafts, real snug. I was thinking of picking up a couple Harrow blades though to test the feel. Let me know how that goes for you.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

I want a #4 pattern to use when the mood is right for it for me. I do love the #7 though tons, after thinking I would hate it and buying one on clearance it has proven to be my go to pattern.

It takes some skill to use it though as it is a tough hook to get used to. The blade face is incredibly open and using the same wrist action you would use for a closed or slightly open face you can miss the net by feet.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another game, and all my shots with the Harrow were about 2" high and wide of the corner I was shooting for.

I swapped out the blade for an old Christian tapered woody I had laying around. This one is fun...I took a basically flat blade and added about 1" of toe curve to it that opens up a bit.

Second from the right in this picture:

Old
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Not sure if I'm going to cut any off. I'm 6'4 and it's just a half inch above my nose barefoot.
Jesus that's a ridiculously long stick.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
About the durability of the sticks, some guy two-handed one of my 300gs with an X:60 Friday. My stick doesn't have a mark, he's hoping his OPS is still under warranty

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

WHOOO I finally got the monkey off my back, something like 10 games without a goal and I got the winner in OT With the big toe curve, I was ripping shots high glove and the goalie kept dropping them. So in OT, I had a bit of time and space and shot hard high glove, it almost dipped a bit in the air and went right in.

Unfortunately, my temper got the best of me early in the game and I broke my backup stick...so I just ordered another Harrow rig. 75 flex concave, went with the full glossy grip this time, #2 curve. Not all bad, I can turn this other stick into a shaft and sell it.

Old
03-23-2010, 04:19 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
About the durability of the sticks, some guy two-handed one of my 300gs with an X:60 Friday. My stick doesn't have a mark, he's hoping his OPS is still under warranty
i had a similar experience. i just finished playoffs (f***in lost ), and used my new harrow sticks for the whole series. it was a pretty tough fought battle, with lots of hacks and stick work. after the series the main stick i used (two piece grip shift) still looks brand new, barely a mark on it, despite getting pretty dirty with it.lol.

the one thing i have to say is a negative is the fact that most of their blades come in a 5 degree lie. the toe of the stick drags like crazy when i use a 5 lie (usually use a 5.5), so i had to put my easton SE16 blade in.

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

i have the harrow shaft with the 4 blade. big fan on the shaft, but i definitely need a new blade. i have a blade similar to the 1, but with a 5.5 lie, and i can pretty much generate good power and accuracy with my wrist and snap shots. slappers aren't bad, but i attribute that to getting back in to the grove of not taking ten years once my stick is raised to re-figure out my lower hand placement consistently. the shaft i'm using for such is an ultra lite from about 6 years ago.

when i use the 4 blade, my wristers are all over the place and never reall "on target." i'm thinking about picking up a 1 until i figure out this 4 business.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
i had a similar experience. i just finished playoffs (f***in lost ), and used my new harrow sticks for the whole series. it was a pretty tough fought battle, with lots of hacks and stick work. after the series the main stick i used (two piece grip shift) still looks brand new, barely a mark on it, despite getting pretty dirty with it.lol.

the one thing i have to say is a negative is the fact that most of their blades come in a 5 degree lie. the toe of the stick drags like crazy when i use a 5 lie (usually use a 5.5), so i had to put my easton SE16 blade in.
I would agree with that ... I wish they had each pattern in a 5 and a 5.5 LIE. If I still used a shorter stick i would be able to use either as I always used a 6 LIE my whole life until I switched to a longer stick.

I use woodies with a 6 LIE in my sneakers shooting in the backyard.

Old
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

my shots were all over the place with the harrow blade too. not so much inaccurate as the fact that my usual flat saucer snap, wrist, and slap shots were fluttering all over the place. it looked like i was trying to shoot knucklepucks (D2)...

the worst was when i ripped down the wing, cut to the middle, unloaded (what would normally be an awesome) shot...and the thing fluttered away like i was 5 years old, AND missed the net 2 feet wide.lol

i had no clue what was going on until after the game, when i looked at the wear pattern on my blade. the tape on the toe of the stick was gone...the rest of the tape along the bottom was untouched.lol

Old
03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
my shots were all over the place with the harrow blade too. not so much inaccurate as the fact that my usual flat saucer snap, wrist, and slap shots were fluttering all over the place. it looked like i was trying to shoot knucklepucks (D2)...

the worst was when i ripped down the wing, cut to the middle, unloaded (what would normally be an awesome) shot...and the thing fluttered away like i was 5 years old, AND missed the net 2 feet wide.lol

i had no clue what was going on until after the game, when i looked at the wear pattern on my blade. the tape on the toe of the stick was gone...the rest of the tape along the bottom was untouched.lol
Well that'll do it, I can still shoot well with a wrong LIE but it takes more concentration and effort lowering my top hand down closer to my waist by making sure the puck is out farther away from me when shooting to correct the LIE.

I'll use them if I have nothing else around but prefer not to. It takes away from natural shot power especially with slapshots and is much easier to get wobble and flutter in the shots.

I hope you find the right LIE for yourself.

Old
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've found I like the higher lie and bigger curves and just cup the puck more.

Old
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got the shaft and blade in. It's pretty cool, went with the white grip shaft, same flex and shape (75 concave). Graphics are very similar, but it's almost a contrast look (white with black letters instead of black with white, red accents are sharp).

The #2 curve is almost identical to the Reebok Bergeron, maybe just a hair longer or more open, maybe not. Cut shaft to the same length but this blade I think is newer stock, a bit different graphics, and hosel is 1/2" or so longer.

Shaft made the same cracking noise as the other one, feels a bit stiffer, I'm sure it will break in to be the same.

Old
03-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, got the new Harrow shaft and blade in. This blade is about 3/8-1/2" longer at the hosel than the other, and the graphics are a bit different. I believe it's a newer production (has the 300 graphics). Cut the shafts to the same length, might have to cut the new one down a bit more but will see how it goes in game first.

Took some pictures of the sticks and curves. The #2 is basically a clone of the Reebok P30 (Bergeron)...which is perfect. Shaft did the same cracking thing as the first one, felt a hair stiffer, likely will break in the same way. The color contrast is sweet...instead of black with red and white accents it's white with black and red.

Shot with them today, kick is similar but obviously I'm much more comfortable with the 6 lie and the bigger mid curve. Kid at the driving range was curious about them (I guess he'd been approached by a rep about using them next year in college).

Grip Shift on top, glossy grip on the bottom:

#4 is a very mild mid-toe, #2 is a bigger mid curve:

#4 is 5.5 lie, #2 is 6 lie. #4 is also longer, but the #2 has a longer hosel, possibly due to a newer production run:

Old
03-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

Thanks for posting those ... the longer hosel thing already is bothering me on that #2. One reason I went with Harrow was no longer having to bring a blade into a store for a measure compare so I do not have to either add a longer plug in the buttend or cut the shaft down to accomodate the hosel length.

I hope they do not do this on all of their product, Cripes I will be upset if they do as I was trying to get away from that in the first place. I could however buy a couple more shafts which i want to do anyway and just leave one or two out of the 4 I would own for the longer blades should they come in the mail like that.

I know one thing for sure the sticks fit me so well I do not even want anything else now.

Great photos on that #4 I was thinking of getting one and you posted the angle i actually look at the blades when I buy any. Thanks.

Old
03-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Okay, got the new Harrow shaft and blade in. This blade is about 3/8-1/2" longer at the hosel than the other, and the graphics are a bit different. I believe it's a newer production (has the 300 graphics). Cut the shafts to the same length, might have to cut the new one down a bit more but will see how it goes in game first.

Took some pictures of the sticks and curves. The #2 is basically a clone of the Reebok P30 (Bergeron)...which is perfect. Shaft did the same cracking thing as the first one, felt a hair stiffer, likely will break in the same way. The color contrast is sweet...instead of black with red and white accents it's white with black and red.

Shot with them today, kick is similar but obviously I'm much more comfortable with the 6 lie and the bigger mid curve. Kid at the driving range was curious about them (I guess he'd been approached by a rep about using them next year in college).
Any major differences you noticed? I currently have a 4 and most likely will order a 2 as I believe it's a little more closed and has the lie I'm looking for.

Old
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

i got a #4 blade as well. its a good one. i definitely like it for stickhandling and deflections and stuff. i had a mean ass snap shot with it, but i was still getting used to it when playoffs ended.

i dropped my 5.5 Easton SE16 blade into the shaft and it is a wicked combo.

Old
03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Played with both sticks last night, up a level again, last game of the season for that team (still have a game and playoffs with the other).

The blade got loose a bit, which is weird since the other blade was such a tight fit. Shots definitely felt funky with that happening, and I went back to the #4 stick. Had a decent game though, got the tying goal in the third, though we lost in OT. Lots of compliments on my shot (quick snapper off the pipe and in), which was nice since all the guys on that team can skate circles around me.

Afterwards, I put a strip of tape on one side of the blade and cut the stick down 3/4". It says it's all the way up to 100 flex now, feels a bit stiff but I'm sure it will still break in a bit.

As for shooting with them, obviously you can see from the pics the #2 is a lot bigger curve and a higher lie. I really cup the puck when shooting so the high lie is nice and keeps the puck low for me...which is probably why my shots with the #4 are all over the place. I like when the puck gets nestled into the curve before shooting, I know where it is on the blade, and I can just fire without thinking. With the #4 it's a crap shoot...sometimes I hit the net, sometimes I hit the goalie in the chest, sometimes I miss way wide.

Old
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

My #2 blade came in the mail today and it's exactly what I was looking for. I had previously cut the shift to the 101 flex (92 originally) and have found it's slightly shorter than I'd like so the longer hosel fixes that and the stick flexes more to my liking.

Can't wait to test the curve out tomorrow as it should be what I've been looking for.