HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers eye Wisconsin duo,passed on Wellman

Old
03-17-2010, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers eye Wisconsin duo,passed on Wellman

The Rangers passed on Casey Wellman of Massachusetts. They have their eyes on Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan.

Quote:
While not in on Wellman, the Blueshirts are paying close attention to defenseman Ryan McDonough and center Derek Stepan, two University of Wisconsin undergrads whose rights they own and who may opt out of school either after the season or the semester.

The Badgers are currently in the WCHA Tournament that will lead up to the NCAA's. If McDonagh, the junior defenseman acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez trade, leaves school after the tournament, the Rangers will likely attempt to sign him to a contract so he can finish the season with the AHL Wolf Pack.

Rangers personnel regard McDonagh, selected 12th overall by the Canadiens in the 2007 Entry Draft, as a stay-at-home defenseman who could challenge for a spot next year. Currently on the Blueshirts' reserve list, McDonagh would be eligible to play in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs if he is under contract.

If Stepan, the sophomore center who was captain of Team USA's gold-medal 2010 World Junior tournament squad, leaves school, it is generally believed he would play junior hockey next season for the WHL Calgary Hitmen.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0iQRStAq4

Stepan isn't leaving school to play in the WHL. How big is the signing bonus?

Final 5 begins Friday afternoon for Wisconsin. They have another game on Saturday(either championship or 3rd place game).Selection show on Sunday. NCAA tournament begins late next week.IF Wisconsin doesn't make the Frozen Four,McD could be available as soon as March 28. Wisconsin is expected to be placed in Albany which is March 26-27.

The Rangers passed on Wellman. It appears agents want their clients to be placed on NHL rosters and have them play games to become group II's sooner. Wellman received $90,000 to sign and will get a pro rated amount from the $810,000 in NHL salary for this season.$900,000 NHL salary/$67,500 AHL salary.2 year contract.

Quote:
If Wellman plays in more than nine of the Wild's final 13 games, he would become a restricted free agent following next season. One GM told The Post that he has encountered several situations in which agents are "demanding" that college free agents be placed immediately on the NHL roster as a condition of signing.

"I told one agent, 'You like our organization so much that you want me to sign the player to a contract that will allow him to become a free agent and leave our organization as quickly as possible,' " the GM said. "Exactly how does that work to my benefit?"

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:10 AM
jniklast

Can the Rangers even sign McDonagh while they are at the contract limit?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:27 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

They have $500K cap space according to nhlnumbers.com

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I looked at the CBA and found what Brooks is referring too regarding playing the 10 professional games

Quote:
For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19
earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more
NHL Games in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older
(or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the
year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional
experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under
an SPC in a given League Year.
However,Jack Johnson played 5 games in 2006-07 for the Kings after leaving Michigan that season and the Kings lost a season off the 3 year ELC. Johnson was 20 when he signed his ELC.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Can the Rangers even sign McDonagh while they are at the contract limit?
The Rangers could terminate a contract such as Tomas Zaborsky's contract.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
lovetherangers

Was Brooks expecting the Rangers to sign Wellman? Honestly we have no place for him. I'm glad we passed.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
They have $500K cap space according to nhlnumbers.com
It would be pro-rated based on the number of days left in the NHL season.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 03-17-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old
03-17-2010, 08:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherangers View Post
Was Brooks expecting the Rangers to sign Wellman? Honestly we have no place for him. I'm glad we passed.
21 teams contacted Wellman's agent. Wellman narrowed the list down to 6 teams and he asked Chris Chelios for his advice. Wellman is a friend of Chelly's son Dean. Perhaps was just inquiring if the Rangers were one of the 21 teams.

Old
03-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
21 teams contacted Wellman's agent. Wellman narrowed the list down to 6 teams and he asked Chris Chelios for his advice. Wellman is a friend of Chelly's son Dean. Perhaps was just inquiring if the Rangers were one of the 21 teams.
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I never understood how some guys got past the draft. Like gilroy and as I understand it wellman.. Were they in a draft class and never taken annd subsequently free agents who continued playing in sschool

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I never understood how some guys got past the draft. Like gilroy and as I understand it wellman.. Were they in a draft class and never taken annd subsequently free agents who continued playing in sschool
It's not a stupid question.

It just depends on their development. Like Gilroy for instance, was a tiny forward when he came to Boston U. He couldn't make the team, so he switched to defense and made it as a non-scholarship walk on. Sometime during the next couple of years he had a major growth spurt, giving him NHL caliber size (height at least). But to that point, he wasn't any type of prospect, and accordingly was never drafted.

He had a terrific junior season, and was now on the radar of NHL GMs and scouts. Since he was no longer draft eligible, he was a free agent able to sign with any team. He had offers from NHL teams after his junior campaign but elected to return to school for his senior season. He was again great, won the Hobey Baker Award, and again received contract offers--choosing us.

As far as Wellman, I have no idea, I don't know anything about him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
Gilroy was 21 years old when he started playing college hockey. He was playing in a 2nd tier junior league during his draft year where he was far, far away from any NHL scout's boards. Some guys are just late bloomers. Hopefully Gilroy hasn't fully bloomed yet, because he needs to get a lot better to stick in the NHL.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:27 AM
ThirdEye

Why would they send Stepan to juniors? That makes zero sense

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Levitate

Yeah that would be weird, but I would guess that the feeling is that Stepan isn't quite physically mature enough to succeed in the AHL yet.

One more year in college is probably a good route for him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah that would be weird, but I would guess that the feeling is that Stepan isn't quite physically mature enough to succeed in the AHL yet.

One more year in college is probably a good route for him.
If he's not physically mature then let him play another year in college. He's going to be 20 this summer, so sending him back to juniors where he's going to be playing against 17 and 18 year olds agan is just, for the lack of a better word, retarded.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think the only reason they would send him to Juniors would be to acclimate him to the sort of schedule he'll have in the pros. I've said before that I don't think he's strong enough for the AHL just yet, and the WHL is a great developmental league for a player like Stepan.

Still, I have to think he'd be more inclined to stay in Wisconsin for another year than go and play in the dub.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's not a stupid question.

It just depends on their development. Like Gilroy for instance, was a tiny forward when he came to Boston U. He couldn't make the team, so he switched to defense and made it as a non-scholarship walk on. Sometime during the next couple of years he had a major growth spurt, giving him NHL caliber size (height at least). But to that point, he wasn't any type of prospect, and accordingly was never drafted.

He had a terrific junior season, and was now on the radar of NHL GMs and scouts. Since he was no longer draft eligible, he was a free agent able to sign with any team. He had offers from NHL teams after his junior campaign but elected to return to school for his senior season. He was again great, won the Hobey Baker Award, and again received contract offers--choosing us.

As far as Wellman, I have no idea, I don't know anything about him.
gotch ya, thanks for the explaination. What is a players draft year, when he's 18? And if he goes undrafted then he's a free agent?

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Just saw Adam Graves in Macys. I am buying a few dress shirts and who do I see standing across for me looking at shirts but Adam. I chickened out and didn't ask him about Stepan or anything about the Rangers. Damn

Last edited by RangerBoy: 03-17-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Just saw Adam Graves in Macys. I am buying a few dress shirts and who do I see standing across for me looking at shirts but Adam. I chickened out and didn't ask him about Stepan or anything about the Rangers. Damn
Might have to ban you for that one.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
ogie

Quote:
should've asked him for fashion tips.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
So let me get this straight - you and Adam 10AM picking out dress shirts in Macy's. Man, hockey IS tough

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote