HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Key to the Sharks Success: Demers

Old
03-17-2010, 03:33 AM
allworldcaucasn*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Bring up Demers and waive Blake.... Blake has been beyond useless this yr

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
It's the "C" on the chest ... cursed since Nolan was traded.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
It's the "C" on the chest ... cursed since Nolan was traded.
you know you might be on to something...

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:12 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

Add Demers and Vlasic Subtract Leach, and send Blake to the KHL!!!!!!!!!!!

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
freddypuck

I have said it for a while bring Demers back , he belongs here with us.....put him with Vlasic

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:17 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
I think Leach is better at advancing the puck than people give him credit for (if that's the main problem with the D), at least at skating it up himself. Blake, Wallin, and Murray on the other hand...

I vote we bench Blake, but that's not gonna happen.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
one2gamble

someone needs to be scratched against the nucks and it needs to be someone of some merit

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedInFullerton View Post
I posted this in the GDT, but don't think many are taking notice, so, figured I'd make a thread for it.

The Sharks are 30-9-6 with Demers in the lineup. That means the Sharks are 13-7-4 without him. It looks a lot better with him in the lineup...

Demers provides the Sharks with something the desperately need... a second defenseman that can MOVE THE PUCK UP THE ICE. Blake, Leach, Huskins, Wallin, Murray... they can't skate the puck up the ice like Boyle and Demers can. The Sharks need 2 mobile defensemen, just like last year with Boyle and Ehrhoff...

The Sharks have scored 153 goals and given up 114 in the 45 games he's played. Without Demers, the Sharks have scored 73 goals and given up 66 in 23 games. By extrapolating those numbers we find that the Sharks are scoring less and giving up about the same amount of goals without Demers.

The Sharks also need him on the point of the PP... Murray isn't working out and neither will any of the other defensemen. None of them are offensive defensemen.

In conclusion... if the Sharks want to start winning again, they need to quit with the Leach experiment and bring Demers back into the fold.

I just looked at the standings again and I got my stats before they updated with tonight's game, so I changed them, which makes the goals for and against even worse (obviously 8 goals against will do that).
I think it's Vlasic not Demers. He plays more minutes and in a top 4 role. Demers does not.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
freddypuck

again bring back Demers, he is a positive aspect around this team, Leach, blake and others are just not cutting it, so better try now before its to late...demers cant do any worse than Leach

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
SharksAddict

I like Demers but I would hardly consider him an integral part of the team. He makes just as many, if not more defensive gaffes than any of the other blueliners. His inexperience would be exposed in the playoffs.

He certainly has a future on this team but now isn't the time.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Herschel

I think having Demers in the line up would depend on who the Sharks play.

If they draw a smart puck possession style team i dont like Demers, however if they are playing a team that has a strong and fast forecheck then i like him.

But if you are thinking in terms of the keys to playoff success, its Pickles. He is a top 4 deman on a team that, when healthy, only has 3.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
I like Demers but I would hardly consider him an integral part of the team. He makes just as many, if not more defensive gaffes than any of the other blueliners. His inexperience would be exposed in the playoffs.

He certainly has a future on this team but now isn't the time.
this is pretty much spot on. What Demers brings is mobility on the back end and its apparent when he is in the line up that its exactly what the Sharks are missing. Unfortunately hes just not ready for prime time, though spot duty is fine.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I am not saying Demers was better when Vlasic was playing. The team was better and Demers played more games when Vlasic was playing, so we won more games with Demers playing.

My assesment on Demers: 1 - He played his best paired with Huskins 2 - His play has declined as the season has gone on.

I still like the guy and would like to see him up here and there. Whether he plays during the playoffs should depend on who were playing and if we go 7 D. If it's seven he should be up I think. If it's six, it's whether we need the grit and experience of Wallin or more puck movement with Demers.
In a way, its a dearth of riches - but its all tin where we are rich (lower players).

I think we will have Demers and Ferriero in town when the playoffs start, even if they aren't in the line-up. It's not going to surprise me to see Ferriero replacing Staubitz as a starter though.

On defense, the tradeoff isn't necassarily Wallin or Demers though it might look like that at first glance. I think its Huskins or Demers. Wallin is a lock to play. Outside of injury, the only way I think Demers is playing, is if Huskins sits. No disrespect to Huskins because I think he has been OK, but before the season is out, I'd like to see:

Boyle-Wallin (Could easily eat 25 minutes a night and resemble a real top pair)
Blake-Vlasic (They play better together than separated and play better with 20 minutes or less.)
Murray-Demers (Puck possession physical defenseman mixed with a skating puck-carrier is appealing and puts Murray in a role that will have him skating less than 18 minutes a night ... also good for Demers.)

Demers might make mistakes, but I like his puck carrying a lot and decision making in the offensive zone. He can get the puck up the ice fast and thats something we are missing now. Murray and Demers to me are a better pairing than any combination with Huskins in the top 6. Huskins-Murray is another option of course and that might be the obvious solution since Huskins was DW's lead off-season signing. But Demers is better carrying the puck and entering the zone than Huskins, and Murray can bail Demers out if he makes a mistake in the defensive zone if needed.

03-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
There is no key to the success
Team-wide, strong and consistent effort.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
8-6-1 without Vlasic overall. 35-10-9 with him including the OT loss at home to Chicago that he got injured in. They weren't doing fine with Demers in and Vlasic out. They're just as mediocre. The thing Pickles was good at was defense and making the safe and simple play. Something that is missing with this team to go along with a lack of purpose.
Before I opened this thread thats what I was thinking. I still think Demers is better than Leach and 2010 version of Blake

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Before I opened this thread thats what I was thinking. I still think Demers is better than Leach and 2010 version of Blake
My rankings?

Boyle
Murray
Vlasic
Demers
Wallin
Blake/Leach
Joslin
Huskins

And if we ice Vlasic/Blake as a pair for the playoffs, I expect another 1st round exit. I could also be convinced to move Wallin above Demers... but taking into account team needs, Huskins is the man out IMO.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
allheartsout

Bring Back Semenov!

allheartsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:46 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
this is pretty much spot on. What Demers brings is mobility on the back end and its apparent when he is in the line up that its exactly what the Sharks are missing. Unfortunately hes just not ready for prime time, though spot duty is fine.
What Demers brings is an inexperienced, yet saavy and elegant mind to the table. Yes, he had made a few bad plays, but I don't remember any particularly memorable ones. Point being, I'm not sure Demers is any worse than Blake in the Dzone... as of today.

Another off the wall impression is that Blake is extremely effective in front of the net- when he goes there. Maybe put Blake at forward on the powerplay and maybe even even strength when we need it.

Last edited by allworldcaucasn*: 03-18-2010 at 03:00 AM.
allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
What Demers brings is an inexperienced, yet saavy and elegant mind to the table. Yes, he had made a few bad plays, but I don't remember any particularly memorable ones. Point being, I'm not sure Demers is any worse than Blake in the Dzone... as of today.

Another off the wall impression is that Blake is extremely effective in front of the net- when he goes there. Maybe put Blake at forward on the powerplay and maybe even even strength when we need it.
I remember at least a handful of times where Demers got sniped from the stands and fell for some unknown reason or plays where he'll hang onto the puck for too long and get stripped. You're right though in that Blake looks like crap. But I'd still rather trust the veteran that knows how the playoffs works as opposed to a rookie d-man who hangs on to the puck too long in the regular season so who knows how many times he'll cough it up when time shrinks more in the post-season.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I remember at least a handful of times where Demers got sniped from the stands and fell for some unknown reason or plays where he'll hang onto the puck for too long and get stripped. You're right though in that Blake looks like crap. But I'd still rather trust the veteran that knows how the playoffs works as opposed to a rookie d-man who hangs on to the puck too long in the regular season so who knows how many times he'll cough it up when time shrinks more in the post-season.
Yeah, and unfortunately, that sniper usually attended games against the Blackhawks. It happened in that 7-2 drubbing, and led to a goal, but it also happened in Chicago when Nabokov stood on his head. The second time, Demers wildly swung at the puck and prevented a breakaway. More luck than skill, but at this point, we have little of either on our blueline.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 08:04 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

Black has cinder blocks for feet, he might as well be tied to the goal and so he can just wave his stick at opposing players

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote